PCP Pump?

Sloter

Hi guys,

So I'm looking into getting a PCP. I was just wondering if any of you have got a pump that you would recommend? I was thinking of the FX four stage pump. Any others I should maybe consider? Anyone gout one of these pumps and can recommend them or not?

Thanks

I'm more than happy using a pump, yes they take a bit of effort to use but nothing major, saves having to run around getting a bottle filled and having it certified. If you have a place close by to fill it up though it's a possibility. A lot of people like bottles for as theres no effort but for me I couldn't want anything more than the pump, just keeping the gun topped up after every outing does me just fine.

I got my hills pump when I bought my first PCP 6 years ago. £150.00 and still working brilliantly. I'm no Heman but even for me it's still only 7 minutes or so to fill an R10 buddy bottle from empty, although I mainly just top them up after 50 shots. 2 mins, no searching for compressed air suppliers and as said before, no tests.

• 2 weeks later...

My old pump pumped moisture in to the cylinder eventually breaking it. Newer ones are meant to be better but they still won't be anything like as clean as a divers tank. Mine cost 250 for 12 litres but it lasts me well over a year and only 5 quid to have filled.

The hills pump is pretty good. I used it for a number of years (and still have it) but I've since switched to a dive bottle. The hills pump has a filter unit you can get for the side with a bag of moisture remover which needs replacing every year or so.

Pumps work fine, but be aware that they tend to put dirt and moisture into the gun over time. Just make sure you get your gun serviced each year or so and you should be fine.

-Andrew

The issue of hand pump vs cylinder has been debated thoroughly over the past few years and if this is the decision to be made some of those posts should be worth revisiting. If the question is which hand pump, I can speak from 6 years' experience of using a Hill Mk2. It does the job well and should last indefinitely if well looked after. I have replaced the seals and re-lubed it twice in those 6 years and I'd say it performs as well as when I bought it. BTW the Mk2 was replaced by the Mk3 which is easier to service and, I'm told requires a bit less pumping effort.

Two questions,

1. What gun?

2. What type of shooting?

For guns with lower capacity air tubes a pump is fine, my S200 is well under 2 minutes to top up from 100 BAR using a Hill pump.

For hunting it gives enough shots for a session. If I'm plinking in the garden I soon get fed up and wish I had a bottle but to be honest if I'm plinking I'd rather use the Prosport anyway.

I never fill outside, always done in the house so less likely to have crud/moisture problems.

Also bear in mind the size of the bottles and how unwieldy they are. A 12L is BIG, you won't be carrying it with you, even a 7L is an unwieldy lump that you won't want slung over your shoulder.

Basically, small reservoir hunting gun, use a pump. Big reservoir plinking gun, get a bottle.

I bought a 3ltr 300bar tank for the price of a fx four stage pump lasts me at least 4 months I'm out at least twice a week with fac air so I use more air than 12flb per shot it's easy to use no pumping and no worry about water poss going into the gun, costs 4 quid to fill at my local dive shop, cylinder is small easy to tuck away and is light, test lasts 5years. So you I fill it 3 times a year no bother getting it filled takes 10min tops at the shop for clean air. A lot easier than a pump.

A few choose a pump to start with and soon move onto a tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking on the bay for a pcp tank, then looked at scuba tanks, obviously these would need the regulators changing to a pcp type

Is there anything else to look at? Can you change Nitrox tank to breathing air? 300bar not 232?

Been looking on the bay for a pcp tank, then looked at scuba tanks, obviously these would need the regulators changing to a pcp type

Is there anything else to look at? Can you change Nitrox tank to breathing air? 300bar not 232?

Always be a little careful regarding 300 bar tanks - you've got to bleed the air quite delicately into most PCPs, as they can pop the seals if you're filling from 300 bar.

You can use a SCUBA suitable tank for airgun filling, butit would be on a 2.5 year test regime, rather than 5. However, when it goes in for the first test, you just get the valve changed for a surface valve, and from then on it's 5 yearly.

Regarding Nitrox - I'd just make sure that the first fill, I pretty much emptied the tank JUST BEFORE filling with air, the higher oxygen percentage could (in theory, at least) be more flammable with the grease used in the airgun seals.

Thanks for the reply, the bottle I've seen are out of test, so in theory could swap to a surface valve straight away when getting tested, but that adds more cost on top and the test cost, it's getting close to buying new straight off

Hi guys,

So I'm looking into getting a PCP. I was just wondering if any of you have got a pump that you would recommend? I was thinking of the FX four stage pump. Any others I should maybe consider? Anyone gout one of these pumps and can recommend them or not?

Thanks

get a tx200.no pumping,just pick up your pellets and off you go.i had a pcp but sold it and went back to springer,tx200 just as good as any pcp..and no messing with pumps.dive bottles ect, my tx200 shot better than my air arms s410..