Vans - Merc, VW or A. N. Other?

Wookie

For a while now I've been looking at buying a small van, something like a VW Transporter or a Merc Vito, that I can use as a mobile shed for when I head out with the bikes, dogs, hiking, that sort of thing. The idea is that there will be enough space to store most of the stuff I need in the back, without having to hang things off the rear that could potentially get nicked if I have to park for a few hours. At the same time, a van would allow me space to get changed and have a sit down and would give the dogs a bit more space to roam and get comfy in as well as keeping them out of the sun.

VW T5's seem a decent choice and the engines are the same as in my Passat (and the wife's Golf), so parts should be relatively cheap and the Vito is a pretty comfy van to drive, even though they all seem to rot a bit more than the VW's. Both seem to be a bit expensive though and so I was wondering if there were any other vans in that sort of class that I should be looking at.

Any ideas or any good places to buy either of the above from trustworthy sources for sensible money?

Too small for bikes sadly. I see where you are going though.

I've driven a Vito in the past and, whilst it's still a van, it's quite car-like in it's driving and parking. Same with the VW. However, step up to a Sprinter or an LT35 and suddenly you have to start worrying about car parks and parking spaces.

I can certainly vouch for the VW Transporter. On my fourth one now. Very comfortable vans, drive just like a car, apparently, but seeing as I've never really driven a car (except to move the Mrs' motor) I can't say.

They hold their value really well and are extremely reliable. Body work des not rust, unlike the Transits. My only gripe, if you can call it that, is that the one I have now is a 2.0 TDi 140 PS and lacks the grunt that my old 2.5 TDi 103 PS had. For example, fully loaded my old one would still power up Wrotham Hill in 6th gear where as my current one will have to go down to 4th to increasingly accelerate. It will hold steady in 5th though.

Hope that helps Wookie.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Aye, but residuals are a double-edged sword. Good if you buy new and sell on, poor if you want to buy an affordable one second hand. Have you tried finding a decent one for less than 5k?

I'd not considered the Expert or the Dispatch... Off to look at Autotrader right now!

SWB vivaro same size as transporter for your use get a LWB crew van, not tall enough to stand up in unless you have high roof (blocked out of alot of car parks) or your a midget. Nissan nv200 worth a look as is Toyota hi ace even if they have the "corner shop owner" appearance.....

http://www.best4vans.co.uk/2013/05/28/top-5-fuel-efficient-medium-sized-vans/

Edited by HDAV