Possible Rat Burrow/Nest

M.I.A

Hi we have recently acquired a new (to us) property the house is rural and is surrounded by fields (of which I have permission on woo hoo) we have Mowes the lawns and we have discovered serveral holes in the ground. Typical of a rat burrow.

What's the best course of action?

Thanks

Edited by M.I.A

I recently had a similar problem although it was in a flower bed planted around the septic tank. I can only assume the relative warmth of the water in the tank appealed during the winter. Extensive burrowing was found around the tank and throughout the flower bed. I only found out when they had eaten through the armoured cable supplying the pump.

With 3 kids and 3 dogs I had to be careful how I got rid. First call was to clear the corner so I could see. I then shot (shotgun and air rifle) any I saw and pushed Storm poison down the holes following the proper baiting schedule. I kept dogs and kids away until there was no sign of activity and checked for any loose poison (there was none as they seem to carry it unto their burrows.)

I then grassed the area and watched for further evidence. Two rats (possibly displaced) suddenly appeared at the hen feeder at the other end of the garden. Two air rifle pellets accounted for them, followed up by another baiting programme. I'm glad to say no bait was taken, so I appear to be free for the time being, but with poultry they'll never be too far away!

Edited by Big Al