Has anyone tried .223 with subsonic loads and 40gr bullets?

On 21/05/2014 at 09:24, saddler said:

The way to success with subsonic loads is to use a pistol powder sucb as bullseye, but with a cast lead bullet.

Makes for very cheap reloads, plus the lack of bullet jacket makes for better performance on target.

Website in the USA called cast boolits will have all the information you'll ever need

I'm working up some cast loads now for 222 and 223 using nobel 80 powder of all things

small charge weights and a bulky powder giving good case charging capabilities initial results were promising 

Just waiting for the weather to play game at the moment to finish test them 

Edited by hafod

I used to have 223 chamber adapters for 22lr.  Basically you had a 223 shaped piece of steel.  You would unscrew the back and put a 22lr in it.  Then you screw it back together.  The firing pin to hit the back and cause a offset pin to strike the 22lr.  The 22r was reasonably accurate in the 223 barrel.  They where sold in 3 packs for about $70

Can’t you get bolt action AR15s?  They can swap from 223 to 22lr in about 10 seconds.  

14 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I used to have 223 chamber adapters for 22lr.  Basically you had a 223 shaped piece of steel.  You would unscrew the back and put a 22lr in it.  Then you screw it back together.  The firing pin to hit the back and cause a offset pin to strike the 22lr.  The 22r was reasonably accurate in the 223 barrel.  They where sold in 3 packs for about $70

Can’t you get bolt action AR15s?  They can swap from 223 to 22lr in about 10 seconds.  

Most of us over here run bolt actions since the ban in the 80.s 

6 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

No clue,  they don’t fall under our export laws so along as they are legal to import. 

State side people run Ar bolt actions and pump 

I did look at the video I think its sounds like there from Canada I think over here the only semi auto we can own in the uk is in 22 long rim fire if I remember rightly

never owned a semi myself had revolvers before they were banned never fancied one to be honest

always had bolt actions but a lot of people plink away with ruger 10/22 etc 

I was given a dozen factory 223 subsonic rounds with 69 grain soft point bullets about a year ago by a pal who works in a shooting shop and they were handed in by someone giving up. I dont know what the MV on them is but must be around 1100 ft/sec. The only clue on the brass cartridge case was R  .  P

Just prior to lock down, I fired 5 rounds in the clubs indoor range at 50 yds. I didn't change my point of aim from my usual 50 grain SP ammo, shooting at 3300 ft/sec. From target centre they dropped about 4 inches and not to big a spread, I would guess around 3 inch MOA.