Making a dog jealous

mrmints

Having another lesson with the dog trainer this weekend. The plan is to take out one of his springers who will retrieve all day long and see if Lucy gets jealous/learns what to do.

Anyone had any experience using this type of technique? Does it actually work?

Chris

Speaking to a lady who runs Cookrise kennels(Pointers) she told me that they take out young dogs and leave them in cars to watch the older dogs work.

I don't have first hand experience in the technique but sounds like its used.

Do it all the time

Take the pup out and sit it up to watch

Throw dummy for older dog which gets loads of praise when it retrieves

Repeat about five times

Send the pup for one ,loads of praise when it returns........go home ,only give the pup one

I'd disagree and say in certain instances this works well. Particularly if your dog is less confident. Being in the company of a confident dog can encourage reassurance in the lesson/ what your asking of them

Being in the company of a competent dog is one thing.

The dog sitting in a vehicle watching another getting the cream, knowing it's too far removed to be getting a piece of the action, more times than not, will cause anxiety in the dog followed by a whine or bark. Once that sets in you are set with it for the remainder of it's days. You will also find that it might well to start associating retrieves and watching other dogs retrieve, with whining or barking. Sure, someone here and there might get off lucky and find the dog is fine in the car watching the world of exciting retrieves pass them by but it is a very brave person that does it. Brave or maybe just careless and silly.

No matter how confident a dog is, it can do nothing for a dog that is locked away in a car. The only thing it is likely to do is disturb and annoy the dog.

Edited by Bazooka

I have used another dog to make a dog jealous, especially where a dog is reluctant with water.

The risk of causing anxiety to a dog by locking it in in a car while it watches another retrieve will likely lead to even bigger problems than the young dog being a bit hesitant a retriever. The negatives far out weigh the positives and if the OP desides to do this he is running the risk of far greater problems developing. Being in the company of a dog is not sitting in a car watching.

Speaking to a lady who runs Cookrise kennels(Pointers) she told me that they take out young dogs and leave them in cars to watch the older dogs work.

I don't have first hand experience in the technique but sounds like its used.

Some folk don't mind a noisy dog. Some don't even see it as a problem. Some that have noisy dogs never get to the cause. Most times it's because they have been very 'slap dash' in their training.

Being in the company of a competent dog is one thing.

The dog sitting in a vehicle watching another getting the cream, knowing it's too far removed to be getting a piece of the action, more times than not, will cause anxiety in the dog followed by a whine or bark. Once that sets in you are set with it for the remainder of it's days. You will also find that it might well to start associating retrieves and watching other dogs retrieve, with whining or barking. Sure, someone here and there might get off lucky and find the dog is fine in the car watching the world of exciting retrieves pass them by but it is a very brave person that does it. Brave or maybe just careless and silly.

No matter how confident a dog is, it can do nothing for a dog that is locked away in a car. The only thing it is likely to do is disturb and annoy the dog.

Missed the car bit. Absolutely agree. At least sat up on the lead the dog has the incentive to behave and is secondarily taught patience. In a car locked away the dog is learning nothing.

My cousin a farmer used to tie a new dog to a good worker with some balling string. I am talking border collies. It used to work for him

Just thinking as i typed this it would sure trip the sheep up if was long enough.hey a longer piece and he could round them up in a circle

Think i might have to patened that idea

Having another lesson with the dog trainer this weekend. The plan is to take out one of his springers who will retrieve all day long and see if Lucy gets jealous/learns what to do.

Chris

I train regularly with other people, this does three things.

1: it may help to improve the keenest of your dog to retrieve, as some one has stated.

2: it will improve its steadiness

3: it will get it used to being around other dogs and taking commands, rather than thinking about playing with other dogs.

I would not leave a dog in a car while I train a second dog, asking for problems.

As for noisy dog, none of my dogs are allowed to bark ever they are gun dogs not guard dogs.

I keep four dogs and it would not take long for my neighbors to get P off with me if they kicked of every time some one knocks on the door.

If I wanted a guard dog I would buy one not a lab or springer.

Edited by Actionpigeons

I train regularly with other people, this does three things.

1: it may help to improve the keenest of your dog to retrieve, as some one has stated.

3: it will get it used to being around other dogs and taking commands, rather than thinking about playing with other dogs.

I would not leave a dog in a car while I train a second dog, asking for problems.

As for noisy dog, none of my dogs are allowed to bark ever they are gun dogs not guard dogs.

I keep four dogs and it would not take long for my neighbors to get P off with me if they kicked of every time some one knocks on the door.

If I wanted a guard dog I would buy one not a lab or springer.

2; It might not improve it's steadiness initially and could make things even less interesting for a dog with retrieving problems.

2; It might not improve it's steadiness initially and could make things even less interesting for a dog with retrieving problems.

I have done a lot of dogs and it definitely does improve steadiness.

If a dog has to sit and watch a dog retrieve a dummy that it wants, how can it not improve it steadiness?

It all goes towards when you are pigeon shooting and the dog wants to run in but waits until you ask it, or when you are standing picking and your dog has to watch the dog next door retrieve a shot bird.

Really don't follow this line of thought that it may not improve steadiness.

I agree with you on your second point, as I said " it may help to improve the keenest of your dog to retrieve"

Edited by Actionpigeons

I have done a lot of dogs and it definitely does improve steadiness.

If a dog has to sit and watch a dog retrieve a dummy that it wants, how can it not improve it steadiness?

It all goes towards when you are pigeon shooting and the dog wants to run in but waits until you ask it, or when you are standing picking and your dog has to watch the dog next door retrieve a shot bird.

Really don't follow this line of thought that it may not improve steadiness.

The guy's dog is not interested in retrieving. Steadiness should be the last thing on it's mind and his mind until he gets the dog mad keen on running in for dummies, tennis balls or whatever he cares to use. Putting pressure on a dog to be steady when it's already a reluctand retriever will only set the dog back further.

The guy's dog is not interested in retrieving. Steadiness should be the last thing on it's mind and his mind until he gets the dog mad keen on running in for dummies, tennis balls or whatever he cares to use. Putting pressure on a dog to be steady when it's already a reluctand retriever will only set the dog back further.

Please take the time to read my OP.

I am not telling the guy to do this, I am telling the guy the reasons why people do this.

I have stated twice that it MAY help, so that does mean it may not.

in fact in my first and second post and third now I did and have underline MAY,

It really helps if people read a post

Edited by Actionpigeons

Please take the time to read my OP.

I am not telling the guy to do this, I am telling the guy the reasons why people do this.

I have stated twice that it MAY help, so that does mean it may not.

in fact in my first and second post and third now I did and have underline MAY,

It really helps if people read a post

No point in muddying the water for the bloke. He's going to see his trainer and his trainer will help him as he sees right. Why oh why folk want to ask questions on here when they are being advised by someone who can actually see their dog and help them with their problems is a mystery.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

The idea is (I think) for me and the instructor to head out for a training session with both of our dogs, his being a keen retriever. My dog will get to see his dog retrieve tennis balls and will hopefully watch and learn. If she sees how much fun the trainers dog is having she MIGHT change her mind on retrieving and want to get involved. I guess there are a couple of potential outcomes. Firstly and hopefully she will get jealous, want to play and then change her mind on fetching tennis balls. Secondly she might change her mind on retrieving when other dogs are around. Thirdly, she might not give two hoots and just want to go sniffing (or chasing birds as they fly over) which is the situation I'm in currently so won't be much of a problem, just back to the drawing board. Worst case scenario, she sees the other dog retrieve, thinks what a load of rubbish I'm never ever going to do that and undoes the work I've been doing with her in the garden, which I will have to redo. However I don't think that's likely.

This is my first ever attempt at gun dog training and yes I'm probably doing a significant proportion of it completely wrong, but that's one of the ways you learn. If at the end of the day I get a dog I can shoot over I will be one seriously happy chappy. If I don't I will put it in the pot of knowledge and try again. The first breeder I ever spoke to asked me what I wanted from the dog and ended the conversation saying "remeber it's your first attempt at training a gun dog, it prpbably won't go perfectly". He was probably right!

No point in muddying the water for the bloke. He's going to see his trainer and his trainer will help him as he sees right. Why oh why folk want to ask questions on here when they are being advised by someone who can actually see their dog and help them with their problems is a mystery.

Because it's a forum.

No your point is you did not read my op post!

I answered the question the guy asked, because as he says its a forum that people ask questions on.

I see you have given your opinion 8 times bazooka, while I just answered the question.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Edited by Actionpigeons

Chris

The technique he was asking about was using another more experienced dog to fire up a reluctant retriever. Not to steady his dog, not to help it into water, nothing else.He asked regarding making a reluctant uninterested retriever, keen on retrieving. He was specifically interested in that.

Why he was asking is his a mystery.His final question was "does it work". To me that is an insult to his trainer. Why anyone would stand in front of someone they have seeked out to help them, listen to his advice then come on a forum and ask folk he has never seen, met or seen train dogs, really is puzzling. Yes it's a forum but the guy is being schooled, as is his dog, by someone qualified to offer help in training a gun dog.He should trust his trainers word over anything he hears on here.

Edited by Bazooka

Bazooka, not entirely sure why you care so much about the feelings of my trainer? I want to know if anyone has had any experience of making a dog jealous and if it has been successful.

Feel free not to respond to my posts.

Edited by mrmints

The technique he was asking about was using another more experienced dog to fire up a reluctant retriever. Not to steady his dog, not to help it into water, nothing else.He asked regarding making a reluctant uninterested retriever, keen on retrieving. He was specifically interested in that.

Why he was asking is his a mystery.His final question was "does it work". To me that is an insult to his trainer. Why anyone would stand in front of someone they have seeked out to help them, listen to his advice then come on a forum and ask folk he has never seen, met or seen train dogs, really is puzzling. Yes it's a forum but the guy is being schooled, as is his dog, by someone qualified to offer help in training a gun dog.He should trust his trainers word over anything he hears on here.

Yes it was, and I told him the reasons why people use this method and that it MAY or MAY NOT help depending on the dog.

I also told him of the other reasons people use this method when training with an older dog or pup of the same age it some times can be very useful

PS I do train gundogs, and not only mrmiints will read this post, other people who may be having a problem who perhaps do not use a trainer may get a useful tip.

This is the hole idea of a dog training section, to share your experiences, ask questions if you are having a problem that you feel other may be able to help with.

Edited by Actionpigeons