Kneeling

theoben fenman

Just getting back into hunting after a couple of years of absence

Had a good night out the other night with 3 from 5 shots with 2 being clean misses. However it occurred to me that my strongest stance is prone, not particularly conductive to hunting in the long grass in the summer. My other stance is standing but its far from perfect especially when trying to pull of 35m shots.

My issue is a mid ground. My last shot of the day was a standing shot at 35m because I could not see the target prone. Now I pulled it off by it was far from ideal and I really needed a semi rested position to fire from. Problem is the only kneeling position I have ever tried to use is the infranty type where the front foot is on the ground as is the rear leg. That is an issue because it is less stable than standing.

So what kneeling positions do others use and which is the best supported? The amount of movement isn't an issue, as I say its mostly trying to see the target.

Not sure that is the best explanation of my problem but can anyone help?

My main shooting position is seated simply for the best in height and stability for me. I'm a lefty, so I brace my right arm against my right raised thigh, elbow just below the knee cap. I've been shooting this way with airguns for over 25 years so it's kind of instinctive to me now.

Situation in the field is what stance you can wait around in and what stance you can get into with minimum movement. For me that's dropping to an improved kneeling (not legal in FT its actually sitting on your foot) , straight forwards off hand (using any supports you can) or sitting (again something like getting your back against a fence post or similar might not be legal competitively but it can sure help ). Like I say minimum movement to get into and maximum comfort if your waiting

I use a two piece telescopic (height adjustable) fishing bank stick with the rubber "U" rod rest top (to avoid damaging the gun). It also doubles as a thumb stick when walking and getting over stiles (replacement hip to contend with!!)

Edited by Bobba