Larsen traps - heads up if you're buying

robbiep

I'd been looking for a couple of larsen traps - myself and a neighbour are being plagued by magpies and jackdaws, even going into the henhouses and taking eggs from the nestboxes. I shoot a fair few, but they are just incredibly wary now, but still, when we're out at work, going in and taking eggs.

Had asked, and someone on here pm'ed me a set of plans to make (many thanks), had a look on the evil bay, and this came up ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Larsen-Magpie-Trap-folds-down-flat-brand-new-unused/351060387002

Very reasonable price, I thought. Ordered 2 on Monday afternoon, and they arrived today. They are the proper quality ones, very well made. And at £47 each (including delivery) well worth it, in my opinion

I'll put this now. I have absolutely no connection to the vendor, other than being a very satisfied customer.

If this contravenes any of PW's policies, my apologies to admin.

Well done, I hope you catch lots of Corvids with it, but surely the proof of the pudding is whether or not you do catch many with it, and as you've not yet started, so how can you judge it just yet..?

Having trapped Corvids for many years using the original Game Conservancy design developed in Denmark, I'd have to say it looks a bit on the small side, although it's difficult to tell from the photo. (the GC version measures around 30" square on plan by 18" tall, will fit OK in the back of any 4x4).

The downside to a smaller trap is that the call bird doesn't move around very much, it will sit motionless on the single perch, I had much better results once I introduced a second perch into the compartment and the bird then hops from one to the other, that's what attracts the others. It doesn't look like you have the space for that..?

The rain cover also looks a bit small, which will not give the bird much protection in driving rain, and you risk losing call birds through hypothermia.

If you need a call bird, take a look on here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/571291286228345/

For others who want to make their own traps, approved by the Game Conservancy, look here:

http://www.gwct.org.uk/advisory/management-factsheets/?page=2&qty=10#

A few other tips;

• If possible, elevate the trap off the ground on pallets / tyre stack etc, anything pretty stable, birds are more likely to go in than if left on the ground.
  • Check traps at least every day, I check all of mine morning and evening.
  • Provide proper food and water and change regularly.
  • Rotate the call-bird regularly, don't get too attached to one bird.
  • Move the trap to another location if you haven't caught for a couple of days.
  • Don't start trapping until the end of March each year, there's no point in starting any earlier and you'll lose birds due to overnight frosts.

Good luck & I hope it works for you.. :good:

Cat.

Got 3 and delivery time was far better than stated. Well pleased. The ones I made back along lasted some 15+ years and I can see these doing the same (pity I won't). We figured that whatever was not right could be fixed and they'd still be cheaper than the rest seen advertised. Yep, the rain cover needs to be bigger - simple. Binned the "temporary" and the "permanent" fixings and used heavy duty tie-wraps in the corners and divide ends with lighter ones along the edges - couple of £s. They are a good size and instead of being square, it means I can get 2 in the back of the X Trail with the seats down. The split perches do need the ends squaring off - 2 minutes with a hacksaw - but I still prefer pieces of hazel. Value for money.

Well done, I hope you catch lots of Corvids with it, but surely the proof of the pudding is whether or not you do catch many with it, and as you've not yet started, so how can you judge it just yet..?

Having trapped Corvids for many years using the original Game Conservancy design developed in Denmark, I'd have to say it looks a bit on the small side, although it's difficult to tell from the photo. (the GC version measures around 30" square on plan by 18" tall, will fit OK in the back of any 4x4).

The downside to a smaller trap is that the call bird doesn't move around very much, it will sit motionless on the single perch, I had much better results once I introduced a second perch into the compartment and the bird then hops from one to the other, that's what attracts the others. It doesn't look like you have the space for that..?

The rain cover also looks a bit small, which will not give the bird much protection in driving rain, and you risk losing call birds through hypothermia.

If you need a call bird, take a look on here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/571291286228345/

For others who want to make their own traps, approved by the Game Conservancy, look here:

http://www.gwct.org.uk/advisory/management-factsheets/?page=2&qty=10#

A few other tips;

• If possible, elevate the trap off the ground on pallets / tyre stack etc, anything pretty stable, birds are more likely to go in than if left on the ground.
  • Check traps at least every day, I check all of mine morning and evening.
  • Provide proper food and water and change regularly.
  • Rotate the call-bird regularly, don't get too attached to one bird.
  • Move the trap to another location if you haven't caught for a couple of days.
  • Don't start trapping until the end of March each year, there's no point in starting any earlier and you'll lose birds due to overnight frosts.

Good luck & I hope it works for you.. :good:

Cat.

Every day is not actually correct. Legally they must be checked at least once within any 24hr period. As you say, morning and evening is better.

Every day is not actually correct. Legally they must be checked at least once within any 24hr period. As you say, morning and evening is better.

Sorry, but I beg to differ, if you're into splitting hairs I must say that every day is correct, I wasn't stating what is required under the law, I was stating what is right and proper and what constitutes good practice.

Cat.

Sorry, but I beg to differ, if you're into splitting hairs I must say that every day is correct, I wasn't stating what is required under the law, I was stating what is right and proper and what constitutes good practice.

Cat.

I'm not splitting heirs. If you are giving advise such as checking them everyday it is not correct. You can check it at 9am on a Monday morning and then again at 4pm on the following Tuesday which is the next day so they have been checked everyday. This is committing an offence and you were the one offering tips to someone who appears to be a novice using Larsens and checking them everyday doesn't always mean once in any 24hr period which keeps them legal. With the amount of people watching the likes of Larsen traps these days it would hardly be fair on someone using your advise to check them 'at least every day' which may well be over the legal 24hr limit then getting into trouble through this. As you have said morning and evening is best practice if possible and obviously your traps are more effective this way as you don't have a potentially full trap all day or night.

• 2 months later...

I'm not splitting heirs. If you are giving advise such as checking them everyday it is not correct. You can check it at 9am on a Monday morning and then again at 4pm on the following Tuesday which is the next day so they have been checked everyday. This is committing an offence and you were the one offering tips to someone who appears to be a novice using Larsens and checking them everyday doesn't always mean once in any 24hr period which keeps them legal. With the amount of people watching the likes of Larsen traps these days it would hardly be fair on someone using your advise to check them 'at least every day' which may well be over the legal 24hr limit then getting into trouble through this. As you have said morning and evening is best practice if possible and obviously your traps are more effective this way as you don't have a potentially full trap all day or night.

Jeez...I know you taffies struggle with the Queens English, but I don't understand a word of that, so I will say again...CHECK YOUR TRAPS AT LEAST EVERY DAY.....that means, ideally more than once every day, this is good advice, not Welsh gobbledegook..?? :oops:

Cat.

Jeez...I know you taffies struggle with the Queens English, but I don't understand a word of that, so I will say again...CHECK YOUR TRAPS AT LEAST EVERY DAY.....that means, ideally more than once every day, this is good advice, not Welsh gobbledegook..?? :oops:

Cat.

And where have you got your wrong information that I'm Welsh!!!!!!! Ideally more than once a day is best but that is ideally. At least every day is still not more than once (it is at 'least' once a day. plain, clear English) a day and it could still be more than 24hrs between visits. How difficult is it to understand that. If you are giving advise, at least make sure it is within the law as people can follow this advise and find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Edited by r1steele