Oakley Radarlock Lenses

dante671

Hi

I started going clay pigeon shooting around 6 months ago and up until now I have been using safety gear from the club I go to, however I am now looking at getting my own equipment since I know I really enjoy it.

For safety glasses I am considering a pair of Oakley Radarlock's (http://uk.oakley.com/custom/radarlock), unless someone know a good reason not to. The lenses seem to be really good for the safety side which is the most important thing.

They come with 2 sets of lenses so I was thinking I should probably have one relatively dull weather and one for bright sunny days (even though they are rare in the UK), although I could always get extra lenses if needed. However I don't really know which colour lenses would be best for me, so I was hoping someone could give me some advice on which would be best?

The lens shape I was looking at is the Pitch as it appears to be a bit bigger so I thought it would give slightly better protection.

The lens selection available with the glasses isn't huge but Oakley have other lenses available (http://uk.oakley.com/products/6970/26312), so as I say I could even get an extra lenses if the ones available with the glasses aren't suitable for all my needs.

At the club I go to we shoot a mix of black and orange clays, so ideally the lenses would need to be suitable for both colours so I don't need to switch when moving between traps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

At that price id want them to smash the clays for me. I have 2 different pairs one is a jack pyke set and the other is an ex army pair both come with various coloured lenses. And a lot less than them and still do a good job

Welcome to the forum Dante671, if you can see my avatar picture the lens was a light yellow in colour with vents on the top. I used them majority of the time in most light conditions but I did have a darker brown tint for very sunny days that I hardly used at all.

I don't have Oakleys anymore as the nose piece didn't quite fit my face and kept sliding down, so if you have a chance to buy one from a shop try before you buy :yes:

Welcome to the forum Dante671, if you can see my avatar picture the lens was a light yellow in colour with vents on the top. I used them majority of the time in most light conditions but I did have a darker brown tint for very sunny days that I hardly used at all.

I don't have Oakleys anymore as the nose piece didn't quite fit my face and kept sliding down, so if you have a chance to buy one from a shop try before you buy :yes:

Thanks. Yes I can see your avatar picture looks like the yellow vented lens from the second link I included, I will try calling Oakley before I buy to see if they can make those lenses available with the glasses if not I will just have to get them as an extra set.

Unfortunately the shops near me which sell them don't stock a selection of lenses so I will have to buy directly from Oakley, but I did make a point of trying a pair on and they seem to fit me well.

Hi Dante

If you're quick and they are still for sale,

There is a pair of Oakley M Frames in the sales section,

2 Lens set for £60 + Postage

The money you would save on them will get you the extra lens if you needed them,

I see you havnt been a member long enough for access to there so you would need to pm Son of Potter

I use the M Frame and find them ideal

:shaun:

I use Oakley Radarlock Path glasses. The lenses are big enough to give good eye protection whilst not interfering with gun mount. I have black polarised , Persimmon and yellow lenses. At a recent clay shoot in a woodland location one trap was in a very shaded bit. The clays were very hard to see. The persimmon lenses made all the difference. Everything nice and clear and bright.

I'm a bit of a sunglasses tart and had many over the year, Oakleys are expensive but work well .

Hi Dante

If you're quick and they are still for sale,

There is a pair of Oakley M Frames in the sales section,

2 Lens set for £60 + Postage

The money you would save on them will get you the extra lens if you needed them,

I see you havnt been a member long enough for access to there so you would need to pm Son of Potter

I use the M Frame and find them ideal

:shaun:

Thanks for letting me know about them, think I will stick with getting them brand new (I'm tend not to buy anything second-hand, like the idea of it been new and in perfect condition).

I use Oakley Radarlock Path glasses. The lenses are big enough to give good eye protection whilst not interfering with gun mount. I have black polarised , Persimmon and yellow lenses. At a recent clay shoot in a woodland location one trap was in a very shaded bit. The clays were very hard to see. The persimmon lenses made all the difference. Everything nice and clear and bright.

I'm a bit of a sunglasses tart and had many over the year, Oakleys are expensive but work well .

Thanks for the info.

At the moment think I think I will likely get the Permission, and Yellow lenses, plus another set if I can't get them to let me have the yellows with the glasses.

Is it the black iridium lenses that you use? And does having the polarised version make a difference?

Do you tend to switch your lenses based on the light conditions when you go out? If so could you tell me roughly what conditions you use each of the lenses in? Or is it the colour of the clays?

Sorry for all the questions, quite new to the sport so want to make sure I get the right things and use them at the correct time.

3 sets of works safety glasses - 1 clear, 1 yellow and 1 dark. All well exceed EN1161 current safety levels for protection and in my local DIY shop can be purchased for few pounds each though for me they were free. I find it quicker to whip a different pair out of my cartridge bag than to faff around changing lenses. As they were free if they get a mark or scrtach on I just replace them although each set has a small cloth case.

If you are happy paying mega money go for it but there are other glasses out there would probably offer better value for money. Just make sure that they meet BS EN standards. They might look Gucci but are worthless if they dont do the job.

I wear clear lenses on most days apart from very sunny when I will go for dark. Yellow lenses are designed to make things brighter on a dull day and not as some people think act as sunglasses. These are my most unused glasses but its horses for courses. A friend shoots mostly in yellow as he finds it difficult seeing orange clays in slightly dull light when shooting with trees/bushes in the back ground. I'll shoot the same stand in yellows and wont see anything so revert back to clear.

Have a look on Ebay. Plenty of British Army issue safety glasses on there with interchangeable lenses, very high quality and by all accounts very good glasses.

Edited by Maldred4

I am also an M Frame user. I have tried a mix of lenses (on the M frames and some Half jackets) as follows,

VR50 - 50% light transmission and good in a wide variety of conditions, however,

Persimmon - (65%) generally better than the vR50 particularly in low light.

VR28 Blue Iridium - Good in bright light, however,

Amber Polarised - The dogs ******** (30% transmission) but good in all but the lowest light and to me the best lenses for shooting.

VR28 Polarised - Not used much for shooting but generally a bright lenses day (18% transmission).

The lenses I would like to try is the Hi-Yellow (83%) as the Amber lenses seems to deal with everything but very low light.

Without doubt Oakley's are overpriced but they are better than budget glasses and worth paying the money for.

Thanks. Yes I can see your avatar picture looks like the yellow vented lens from the second link I included, I will try calling Oakley before I buy to see if they can make those lenses available with the glasses if not I will just have to get them as an extra set.

Unfortunately the shops near me which sell them don't stock a selection of lenses so I will have to buy directly from Oakley, but I did make a point of trying a pair on and they seem to fit me well.

Do NOT forget that when choosing shooting glasses that you should ideally be trying them whilst shouldering a gun. What looks 'cool' and is probably suitable for lounging alongside a swimming pool, is not always suitable for shooting. I found with the Oakleys that the bridge was very 'intrusive' when I put my head on a gun stock. I found the Beretta range very comfortable to wear and the least obtrusive nose piece (bridge). I urge you to try them with a gun before parting with your money.

G26 are shooting specific lenses, they make red stand out against green. Might be worth giving them a look if you can get them.

Yea I heard of the G26 lenses for shooting but I can only find them for the Radar glasses not the Radarlocks which is a bit of a shame. Although a Radar lens will fit into Radarlock's apparently its a little tight and puts a bit of pressure on the locks which holds the lens in place. Not sure if it would cause problems over time.

3 sets of works safety glasses - 1 clear, 1 yellow and 1 dark. All well exceed EN1161 current safety levelsidge bag than to faff around changing lenses. As they were free if they get a mark or scrtach on I just replace them although each set has a small cloth

+1 Exactly what I have

• 2 years later...

I shoot in oakleys, there is a version of the Radar, the Radar XL, it has a larger gap from the nosepiece to the frame to allow the snooker player type enhanced vision when your head is down on the stock, G26 is my most used lens on switching when it gets to lower light conditions.