Whining dog

scolopax

I have a 9 month old Wirehaired Viszla, from day one he has been vocal, not barking but generally talking to himself when happy or to us when he greets us the morning on being let out his cage.

During the last week he has been exposed to two situations where he has been excited but not been allowed to get involved, first was watching other dogs take turns at water retrieves, the second was when I was watching a pack of mink hounds. On both occasions he whined and whined whilst sat at heal watching events in front of him until I took him away. What he did has worried me greatly but I guess was not unexpected, is this just adolescent enthusiasm being vocalised? Or am I likely to have a dog which will sit singing away at the peg on a driven day ( if given the chance) ?

I hope your viszla is not like the one my dad had. It was certainly a character, but totally crazy. He used to amuse himself by working his way through a sack of potatoes or jumping through an upstairs window! He also suffered fits.

+1 above.

And anyone encouraging and "loving" a gun dog being vocal needs their head looking at. Nobody wants a vocal gun dog and most people seriously interested in what they are breeding would never breed from a vocal bitch or dog.

Edited by Bazooka

Remember in some countries being noisy has been encouraged. My GWP was a noisy dog but only when he held something at bay, best move is a quick well timed poke every time it starts up but you might be stuck with it as often the dog don't know its doing it

So many judgmental people on here, Do you own Vizslas Bazooka?

I have 5 and not one of them squeeks on pegs but are vocal in the morning, some of us interact and love our dogs, , my dogs are like part of the family not just tools stuck out in a pen and brought out when it suits.

So many judgmental people on here, Do you own Vizslas Bazooka?

I have 5 and not one of them squeeks on pegs but are vocal in the morning, some of us interact and love our dogs, , my dogs are like part of the family not just tools stuck out in a pen and brought out when it suits.

More often than not, people purchasing a gun dog in this country, (to be used as a gun dog, not as a pet), want something that will remain quiet in all situations and if I'm honest, in my case, I want it quiet around my house as much as in the field working.I hate hearing any kind of whining or barking from a dog, it normally stems from either over excitement, stress, aggression or all three. Personally, I want neither of these things in a dog nor do I want any of my family members to encourage it.The reason any dog is in my home is first and foremost as a gundog. I take our sport very seriously and want to get maximum enjoyment from it. A noisy dog spoils the day...sometimes not for an ignorant owner but more times than not for those around them. If your dogs are quiet when you work them all then that's great for you. I have no problem with anyone wanting to interact and involve their dogs in their family lives. However, exciting or "interacting" with a dog so much that it speaks to me in a morning is just not for me. It can lead to difficulties with SOME dogs and I would not want to take the chance given the fact that any dog I owned that began to whine uncontrollably would be shown the door in a heartbeat.I would not spend the time nor energy trying to rectify it with water sqeezy bottles, pokes in the anus, nagging or anything else.

Water pistol in pocket as others have said, a very famous spaniel trainer used to do this trick many years ago and actually cut a hole in his poclet so he could do it at trials with 1 paticular dog.

Not going to get into an argument about dog breed etc, but if u look at the history of HPR's in general they do tend to be noisier generally than wot most in UK find normal, some breeds had a lot of fox hound blood, and many breeds are encouraged to 'give tongue' esp the more tracking orientated breeds, my wire is quiet for a wire althou makes some queer noises at times, but not quiet for a gundog.

I would also say hpr's are not the ideal choice as a peg dog,most people would not have a spaniel as a first choice as a peg dog as so engergetic yet an HPR is far far more energetic and even less keen to sit still. But at end of the day with the right training it can do it, but as has been said many times afore really pushing a spuare peg in a round hole

I have always said HPR's are a fantastic type of dog BUT only if u need a dog to point, otherwise a more 'normal' breed would be a more wise choice in almost every occasion, esp for novice handlers

More often than not, people purchasing a gun dog in this country, (to be used as a gun dog, not as a pet), want something that will remain quiet in all situations and if I'm honest, in my case, I want it quiet around my house as much as in the field working.I hate hearing any kind of whining or barking from a dog, it normally stems from either over excitement, stress, aggression or all three. Personally, I want neither of these things in a dog nor do I want any of my family members to encourage it.The reason any dog is in my home is first and foremost as a gundog. I take our sport very seriously and want to get maximum enjoyment from it. A noisy dog spoils the day...sometimes not for an ignorant owner but more times than not for those around them. If your dogs are quiet when you work them all then that's great for you. I have no problem with anyone wanting to interact and involve their dogs in their family lives. However, exciting or "interacting" with a dog so much that it speaks to me in a morning is just not for me. It can lead to difficulties with SOME dogs and I would not want to take the chance given the fact that any dog I owned that began to whine uncontrollably would be shown the door in a heartbeat.I would not spend the time nor energy trying to rectify it with water sqeezy bottles, pokes in the anus, nagging or anything else.

I suggest one use a modicum of decency and sticks to the neck and ribs, that will mostly work on all but the most ingrained offender.

I agree with Bazooka on 90% in what he says. I have a springer who is brilliant accept he is inclined to whine a bit when in a hide when birds are coming in. This is pure excitement of the expectation but is very annoying and a pain in the ****. Would he ever be shown the door because of this. Never in a million years. Would I swap him for a top dog that was perfect like Bazooka expects. No because his more than just a tool to me and I think there are many owners out there with the same sentiments. There's no right or wrong, that's just the way some of us prefer it.

Water pistol in pocket as others have said, a very famous spaniel trainer used to do this trick many years ago and actually cut a hole in his poclet so he could do it at trials with 1 paticular dog.

Not going to get into an argument about dog breed etc, but if u look at the history of HPR's in general they do tend to be noisier generally than wot most in UK find normal, some breeds had a lot of fox hound blood, and many breeds are encouraged to 'give tongue' esp the more tracking orientated breeds, my wire is quiet for a wire althou makes some queer noises at times, but not quiet for a gundog.

I would also say hpr's are not the ideal choice as a peg dog,most people would not have a spaniel as a first choice as a peg dog as so engergetic yet an HPR is far far more energetic and even less keen to sit still. But at end of the day with the right training it can do it, but as has been said many times afore really pushing a spuare peg in a round hole

I have always said HPR's are a fantastic type of dog BUT only if u need a dog to point, otherwise a more 'normal' breed would be a more wise choice in almost every occasion, esp for novice handlers

A dog running in a trial having a water pistol fired at it from a pocket would be spotted quickly. The guy might have used the method between runs as the dog was standing.

Using anything, after the dog has alredy commited the crime is unlikely to help. it might shut the dog up temporarily but unless the triggers for the dog whining are identified and minimised or removed completely, it's likely the dog will always whine.

HPR,s can and do sit still for very long periods of time, ie under a high seat.

Mine never makes a squeak when training, will wait for ages until sent for a retrieve etc, but he has now been exposed to two for him exciting situations when he did whine uncontrollably.

I will get a water pistol and hope!

I agree with Bazooka on 90% in what he says. I have a springer who is brilliant accept he is inclined to whine a bit when in a hide when birds are coming in. This is pure excitement of the expectation but is very annoying and a pain in the ****. Would he ever be shown the door because of this. Never in a million years. Would I swap him for a top dog that was perfect like Bazooka expects. No because his more than just a tool to me and I think there are many owners out there with the same sentiments. There's no right or wrong, that's just the way some of us prefer it.

And I agree 100% with that. My only concern would be those that decide to breed from dogs like that because " they dont mind" . The last thing most want is to buy a dog prone to noises. had you been given the option you would rather have had a dog that did not make noises. All that said, lots of the problems stem from poor training and poor management of the dog. The problem with that is though, you can rarely be sure when it's a problem due to the way the dog is or if it's purely brought on by poor training/management.

Bazuka, that trainer has ran dogs for a long time, prob last 40 odd years and this was way back in the 70;s and trials would be nothing like as organised and legit as they are now, but 1 very good bitch very occasionally squeked while waiting in line and that was when he used it

Must admit similar to the above esp with spaniels noise does tend to be inherited so any noisey spaniels should not be bred from, plenty of good quet ones out there so no reason to breed of noisey ones.

Slightly different with the hpr's as so many can be noisey at times, but usually just at home not in the field.

Scalppax, not meaning to critise ur chosen breed, But a big difference between sitting under a highseat and sitting on a busy peg on a shoot day with birds falling and shots going off and probably other guns dogs running about too. When ever ur dog is ready for first day on peg it might be worth easing it in slowly ideally just take it to shoot for 1-2 drives just to sit odd retrive and u don't shoot, then take t home rather than leave in car, where it can still hear/see the action. Even when ur up to full days would be beter if ur only standing with no gun concentrating on ur dog.

Do u know any HPR trainers where u are? Might be better to have a word with someone who knows the breed?

If its only doing it in training esp in a group try not to sit him up and watch for too long in 1 go, just a 1-2m walk to heel and sit again, spin round and sit, basically just breaking up the wait and getting his attention and praising him, etend the time as u gets better.

Yes, definitely if given the option I would prefer one that didn't whine.

I have tried the water pistol thing and he just thinks its a game. The only result is after taking the water pistol out of my pocket, for the rest of the day I was walking about looking like I had ****** myself.

Mine never makes a squeak when training, will wait for ages until sent for a retrieve etc, but he has now been exposed to two for him exciting situations when he did whine uncontrollably.

It's only 9 months, I would back off from most things until he matures and just work on his exposure to various situations where he is not the main attraction. Make it very short periods of time and build it up. I am not talking about 6 weeks, I am taking about 6 - 9 months maybe longer. But I stand by my original comment, if there's a squeak in a hunting dog, asking it to sit on its backside in an exciting situation is when it will be heard. In my opinion the aversives don't work on a habitual squeaker, they don't even seem know they are doing it.

I have a 9 month old Wirehaired Viszla, from day one he has been vocal, not barking but generally talking to himself when happy or to us when he greets us the morning on being let out his cage.

During the last week he has been exposed to two situations where he has been excited but not been allowed to get involved, first was watching other dogs take turns at water retrieves, the second was when I was watching a pack of mink hounds. On both occasions he whined and whined whilst sat at heal watching events in front of him until I took him away. What he did has worried me greatly but I guess was not unexpected, is this just adolescent enthusiasm being vocalised? Or am I likely to have a dog which will sit singing away at the peg on a driven day ( if given the chance) ?

I think the answer to your question lies here. Sadly.

Some on here are comparing them to spaniels and it's so different. I have a similar age pup and it is very early days for you, mine will wine at times and her mum will do on peg. However she also sits under a high seat without any noise for hours even with deer 20 yards away. She also sits in the truck for hours lamping and you never hear a murmur. That's most of my shooting and she is that good at following up that I accept that when Driven shooting we do get slight wines but not spaniel standard ones. At 9 months and 2 exciting events I wouldn't panic just yet.

My vizsla likes to be fairly vocal every now and then, like EE says, so what I like it.

For her first shooting season she used to whine a little whilst we were waiting to start but just out of pure excitement. Now after 1 year she will sit on the peg, stand in the beating line, sit with me on the marsh- anything, and not make a sound. Every dog needs a little time to grow up a little. My GSP also likes to be vocal at home but doesn't make a sound when out in the field.

I'd love to see one of these perfect 'out of the box' dogs that by the sounds of it everybody has cos in the last 20 years and dozens of different shoots I haven't seen one yet!

My vizsla likes to be fairly vocal every now and then, like EE says, so what I like it.

For her first shooting season she used to whine a little whilst we were waiting to start but just out of pure excitement. Now after 1 year she will sit on the peg, stand in the beating line, sit with me on the marsh- anything, and not make a sound. Every dog needs a little time to grow up a little. My GSP also likes to be vocal at home but doesn't make a sound when out in the field.

I'd love to see one of these perfect 'out of the box' dogs that by the sounds of it everybody has cos in the last 20 years and dozens of different shoots I haven't seen one yet!

Why you like a noisy dog is your business. i dont know anyone, ANYONE, that would prefer a noisy dog to a mute one.

Re your last point. You have indicated earlier in your post that you have a dog that "doesn't make a sound when out in the field" then go on to say " in the last 20 years and dozens of different shoots I haven't seen one yet!" :lol: So are you saying in 20 years your dog is the only one, on all the shoots you have been on, that has never made a noise? :lol:

Nobody is saying all dogs are perfect or should be perfect. That is crazy. My dogs are far from perfect but one thing I will without any question whatsoever not put up with is a noisey, whining dog. No matter how nice a dog it is or how good a gundog it is in other ways...and breeding from one only add's s h ite to the mix!