Whining dog

scolopax

There's a difference between a noisy dog and one that's a little vocal. Believe it or not dogs go woof every once in a while.........

You've obviously just ignored the sentence before when I said for her first season she used to whine a little. So still no, I have never seen a perfect dog.

You have your own strong opinions on how dogs should be which is fine but for me and many others they are pets which also work in the field. A young dog been a little over excited within its first 18 months seem a little harsh to say it no good as it's noisy and should never be used for breeding.

thats assuming whining is genetic..............

No proving or disproving that one but I bet the consensus might be it is, though it can be induced through thoughtless training no doubt at all in my own mind . if you look at the make-up of our gundog breeds there seems to be a link the closer it gets to the hound in its make up the more noisy the breed tends to be generally. If noise is an undesired feature in a breed selective breeding of the more mute animal is bound to reduce the tendency, just like breeding from the fastest, strongest. least or most aggressive, best nose etc. will act upon a breed

No proving or disproving that one but I bet the consensus might be it is, though it can be induced through thoughtless training no doubt at all in my own mind . if you look at the make-up of our gundog breeds there seems to be a link the closer it gets to the hound in its make up the more noisy the breed tends to be generally. If noise is an undesired feature in a breed selective breeding of the more mute animal is bound to reduce the tendency, just like breeding from the fastest, strongest. least or most aggressive, best nose etc. will act upon a breed

Kent has hit the nail on the head, esp in the UK everyone thinks there dog is worth breeding off, and thats why we will probably have to put up with noise/whinning in our hpr breeds as many folk 'like it' unless people are honest about wether or not there dog will actually improve the breed in the future. Also still relatively new breeds with small gene pools heavily infulenced by the continentals so will be heavily infuenced by wot they thinks desirable.

Ur pup is still young so u can back off a wee bit, if u are in a group training situ, build up the time it is sitting watching gradually by just talking it for a short walk, then sit a while, short walk etc, i'm onlly talking a bout a couple of m's as a walk just to break his concentration/boredum.

I think most noise is inherited althou can be brought on with training, most hpr's can have the tendancy to whine/noisey so just try not to encourage it with training either pushing them to fast etc

I have 5 dogs which work well, not perfectly trained by any means but they do work on a lot of shoots (anything between 50-80days most seasons) and i do get invited back, so can't be that bad, but i would only breed of 2 of them just for different reasons don't think the other 3 would improve the gene pool of there breeds, althou work well. Plenty of better lines out there so why use them?

There's a difference between a noisy dog and one that's a little vocal. Believe it or not dogs go woof every once in a while.........

You've obviously just ignored the sentence before when I said for her first season she used to whine a little. So still no, I have never seen a perfect dog.

You have your own strong opinions on how dogs should be which is fine but for me and many others they are pets which also work in the field. A young dog been a little over excited within its first 18 months seem a little harsh to say it no good as it's noisy and should never be used for breeding.

I like neither and keep neither. Trust me, a good all round gun dog will be quiet at home, in the kennel, in the field and with people and other dogs. The barkers and whiners are normally with folk that as the above poster states quite rightly, prefer to say they don't mind the noise or some noise or their dogs being "a little vocal" as they "like it." The truth of the matter is, nobody likes a noisy dog apart from a complete ignorant.

So many judgmental people on here, Do you own Vizslas Bazooka?

I have 5 and not one of them squeeks on pegs but are vocal in the morning, some of us interact and love our dogs, , my dogs are like part of the family not just tools stuck out in a pen and brought out when it suits.

And my dogs don't puncture other dogs, at any time so I've no use for a drop of super glue to heal any wounds. :|

Edited by Bazooka

Unfortunately bazooka, not everybody is going to agree with your opinions.

If my dog wants to come and tell me when it's breakfast or dinner time then I don't mind, if it was to sit there and bark for no reason then that's a different matter ( not that they do ) none of that I'm my opinion is a problem when they are working. My dogs and I'm sure most do - have a compleatly different personality / attitude when they are in the field. Maybe yours don't?

Unfortunately bazooka, not everybody is going to agree with your opinions.

If my dog wants to come and tell me when it's breakfast or dinner time then I don't mind, if it was to sit there and bark for no reason then that's a different matter ( not that they do ) none of that I'm my opinion is a problem when they are working. My dogs and I'm sure most do - have a compleatly different personality / attitude when they are in the field. Maybe yours don't?

You can have your dogs do whatever you want. I don't want my dogs telling me when it's time for anything by barking. Not time for getting up, not time for going out for a walk, not time for going for training , certainly not time for them to be fed. I decide when things happen for them. Please don't think I'm in a minority of people with working dogs that expect them to be quiet at all times.What you have on this forum disagreeing with "my opinions" is a tiny percentage of working dog folk. You might actually be shocked if you visited the homes and kennels of what I consider experienced and knowledgeable dog men to find happy dogs, wagging tails and on the whole, silence at all times (from their working gun dogs).

Your last point.- "my dogs have a different personality when in the field. Maybe yours don't?"

Regarding noise...no, mine don't have a different way in the field. Thay are exactly how I expect them at ALL times- quiet.

If you seriously think I believe you when you say you would rather have a noisy dog than a mute quiet dog then you are nuts and you will always have a percentage of dog owners fight your corner with the same views, because they cant see the harm in encouraging a dog to be vocal but trust me, if you ever get the chance to mix with people that are commited to training gun dogs to a high standard, people that when they breed dogs they do it with the good and improvement of the breed at heart and not financial gain, people that strive for the very best in a gun dog, only then will you come to realise just how much time, effort, understanding, careful selection and training goes in to owning and breeding something to be proud of.

You carry on in whichever way you are happy but don't expect me to condone the way you bring your dogs on if I am in total disagreement. likewise, take my opinions how you want, I don't expect them to sway you one way or another but the top and bottom of it is they are opinions of mine and until someone can give me good reason to change them, I'll keep things how they are.

Edited by Bazooka

Bazooka has already got me to admit I would rather my dog didn't whine which is very true. I also accept that we should be telling the dog when he's going to be fed or taken out or whatever not the dog dictating to us. But come on, I'm far from being a dog psychiatrist, but it can't be right or natural for a dog to be completely mute. The gun dog breeders who expect this are they not turning their dogs into just circus animals. Just because a dog wags it's tail when working doesn't mean it is having a fulfilled & fair life.

Similar to the above, would not tolerate it in a spaniel or lab BUT Hpr's are different and very few will be totally quiet the way i would want/expect.

Before i got my pup and afterwards i spoke to quite a few of the top hpr kennels and almost every time u could hear the hpr choir in the background :whistling:

My GWP is more noisey than i would like in the kennel at times, generally if he wants attention (ie if taking the other dogs out training/working hates being left behind,despite the fact he usually comes to work with me every day and other dogs never make a squek) if he was a lab or spaniel he would of been down the road a long long time ago, For me with hpr's u put up with a lot more and make far more allowances for them than u would a 'normal gundog'

Phil ur dog sounds ideal and does all u would want of a dog but if u bred of it and train ur pup the same way i would say will have a fairly good chance of having to put up with noise ur whole shooting life

I know everyone wants to continue their 'line' but u might be better geting a good quality quiet working bitch as ur foundation.and start from there.

There not totally quiet and will bark at strangers etc play with each other just the same in the garden but just don't bark at each other, if u go to a big kennel can still be quite noisey just because they may have 20+ dogs, but can u imagine the noise if they were actually noisey dogs.

The're not beaten to be quiet it's all selective breeding over years and years, so the dogs have very little instinct to squek/whine, any that do will not be bred from no matter how good the pedigree is, whereas more often than not dogs bred of a noisey dog will also be noisey and so it continues. Seen some really terrible cockers over the years and yet there owners still bred of them and wonder why there dogs are always noisey :no:

I would also say hpr's are not the ideal choice as a peg dog,most people would not have a spaniel as a first choice as a peg dog as so engergetic yet an HPR is far far more energetic and even less keen to sit still

Again I would totally disagree, I use 3 of mine on our shoot and while its my turn to be on a peg will wait silently until I send them off to retrieve, BUT I can also pigeon shoot in a hide all day with my main girl and she will sit and observe until it I tell her to retrieve, I am not one of those people that castigate thier dogs constantly, my dogs have respect for me and ENJOY being out with me, they are not battered into fearing me like it sounds like half the dogs on here are. My dogs work well because they enjoy it, granted they are not up to feild trial standards as I dont have time for another hobby but they work well and do what I want AND enjoy it.

And my dogs don't puncture other dogs, at any time so I've no use for a drop of super glue to heal any wounds. :|

Once again you take my comments out of context, my dogs have never bitten other dogs, I have 3 males, 2 vizsla and a bracco, when my bitches are in season they have small pecking order spats which result in the odd puncture wound. Its part and parcel of having a pack and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of dog ****

Again I would totally disagree, I use 3 of mine on our shoot and while its my turn to be on a peg will wait silently until I send them off to retrieve, BUT I can also pigeon shoot in a hide all day with my main girl and she will sit and observe until it I tell her to retrieve, I am not one of those people that castigate thier dogs constantly, my dogs have respect for me and ENJOY being out with me, they are not battered into fearing me like it sounds like half the dogs on here are. My dogs work well because they enjoy it, granted they are not up to feild trial standards as I dont have time for another hobby but they work well and do what I want AND enjoy it.

Once again you take my comments out of context, my dogs have never bitten other dogs, I have 3 males, 2 vizsla and a bracco, when my bitches are in season they have small pecking order spats which result in the odd puncture wound. Its part and parcel of having a pack and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of dog ****

Good luck with your dogs :no:

Edited by Bazooka

Hi

My dog makes a bit of a noise when in the hide,but i dont use her that much in a hide anyway.

My spainel is 6 times PFC champion so making a noise is important to me.

All The Vesy Bestest Neil

Hi

My dog makes a bit of a noise when in the hide,but i dont use her that much in a hide anyway.

My spainel is 6 times PFC champion so making a noise is important to me.

All The Vesy Bestest Neil

Hi Neil,

Good to hear your first dog is a " PFC champion" :lol:

I've just watched the video you posted of it retrieving a pigeon from water, running up to you with it and dropping it 3 yards from you, having a shake and so on...didn't even watch the end of the clip!

I've a little bitch here that retrieved three ducks at night from a freezing lake on the last day of the season, her first duck retrieves, my mind went back to that freezing cold night and all I could think of was if mine did that I'd be chasing running ducks through fields all night :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ0FidXpQpM#t=17

Bravo.

Hi Neil,

Good to hear your first dog is a " PFC champion" :lol:

I've just watched the video you posted of it retrieving a pigeon from water, running up to you with it and dropping it 3 yards from you, having a shake and so on...didn't even watch the end of the clip!

I've a little bitch here that retrieved three ducks at night from a freezing lake on the last day of the season, her first duck retrieves, my mind went back to that freezing cold night and all I could think of was if mine did that I'd be chasing running ducks through fields all night :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ0FidXpQpM#t=17

B

Nice :yahoo:

Dropping and shaking is an easy fix,send the dog into the water as you are stood near the edge and as the dog is coming out of the water move backwards then stop the dog as it is near you,but does it really matter unless it is in a trail.

Dropping and shaking is an easy fix,send the dog into the water as you are stood near the edge and as the dog is coming out of the water move backwards then stop the dog as it is near you,but does it really matter unless it is in a trail.

Dropping does and a dog shaking whilst holding game, well, :no:

What happens when your dog drops something you've only slightly clipped? They still have legs do you know? Seen some hillarious retrieves from dogs that drop game, not often but now and again. Mainly from water as well. All good fun when you are watching though. :lol:

Hi

Bit heated at times this

Anyway problem solving

Next time your in a situation when you think it my make a unwanted noise you could try getting dog to hold something in its mouth ball dummy ect

Just a constructive thought

Hope it works out for you and the dog

All the best

Of

Could that be seen as rewarding it's unwanted behaviour?

You can't argue with the fact that a gun dog should not squeak . My pup squeaks from time to time but if I can get to it quick enough it certainly does not get rewarded if I can't get to it in time it gets ignored . Only trouble is he's at his worst when in the truck which means I have to pull over run round the back and correct him . They say you have up to 8 sec before they forgot what they done so I might try a water pistol for the truck unless anyone has a better suggestion . And before you say get rid bazooka he ain't that bad YET .Lol.

Edited by jayDT10

Dropping does and a dog shaking whilst holding game, well, :no:

What happens when your dog drops something you've only slightly clipped? They still have legs do you know? Seen some hillarious retrieves from dogs that drop game, not often but now and again. Mainly from water as well. All good fun when you are watching though. :lol:

Could that be seen as rewarding it's unwanted behaviour?

It could be

However if you preempt the situation it could be a lot harder to make a noise with something in its mouth

Not looking for a debate just trying to put a solution forward

All the best

Of

Bazooka

That video was an bit of training, if the game was still live she would not of dropped it and this rarely happens.

If you had watched the video to the end she does retrieve to hand.

She does not get many running birds because i don't miss a lot with my gun ask Hawkfanz :yahoo:

Scolopax

The original post was whining dog so here's my fix.

1. Check teeth,Claws.and check for thorns it is not a health issue then

2 If it's attention ignore it and don't make a fuss when you get home, try changing you routine.

3.Don't write your dog off like some on here if you try hard enough it will workout in the end.

4 The more you get wound up about it the more the dog will do it(chill out)

I left the above numbers out because there is people on here that will know how to tackle your problem.

Best Regards

Neil