Ford Kuga or Vauxhall Mokka AWD???

jam1e

Some constructive opinions would be appreciated folks.

I've decided on a diesel AWD for an all rounder. I don't exactly do any major off-roading....

I've narrowed it down to what I want, which is as I've stated the Kuga or Mokka.

I'm leaning more towards the Kuga Titanium X, mainly as I prefer the way it looks, but also as I can shoot out of the Kuga's panoramic roof.

Any Mokka or Kuga AWD owners out there? What do you think?

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks for the replies folks, Never really thought about the Kia :hmm: I'll have a look what the reviews have to say.....

I'm all for having power, and very much preferably with a diesel! Not sure about the kerb weights, but the Ford has more BHP/Torque. 163 bhp so it states! To be honest, I've had over 30 cars in my lifetime, and only one Ford, which I was very much disappointed with! But it was a petrol... I can barely say its name.........The crappy 1.6 Ecoboost engine. What a pile of ****! 180 bhp, wow people say, until you realise a battery scooter has more torque! And after revving the guts out of it to get what little power it had. It left you doing an average of 32 mpg!! Was gone in a year!

The Kugas are pretty good a friends had the original model since 08 zero problems. I drove one around Switzerland and Northern Italy was pretty impressed with it, although the boot is a little small

Cheers 88b, Kind of fits, as to why he kept on about boot space having been enlarged.

The new model has obviously been uplifted since 2008, but I love the shape of my neighbours 2008 model, no longer do their colour either, never mind...

Was it an early Eco boost ? I drove a C Max with a 1 litre Eco boost recently I was very impressed.

Yes 88b, so early they had little literature on it.

Within weeks, the 1.6 and 1.0 litre petrol ecoboost started popping up on motoring forums on how s___ they were....

I suppose, if I were to be objective, I've had fast, or fast-ish cars all my life, so that made it an even bigger let down...

Out of those 2 would pick the kuga, you not thought of a Tiguan tho?

Yea, I did have a look at the Tiguan, but not struck on the ascetics. Plus, you seem to trade a VW badge for extras that would be more useful, to me anyhow...

Edited by jam1e

I think I can comment better than most having owned both - 09 titanium kuga and now a 14 plate mokka awd SE.

Kuga - great car, nice to drive, holds value well, good spec. One of the nicest cars I have had. Down side - even though it's not as bad as a true 4x4 it is quiet hungry on the juice if you do a lot of miles. Struggle to hit 40 on average. My neighbour has a new model and it's still the same.

Mokka - very good spec, better than the kuga for the dosh, it's smaller but still big enough for a family of 4. Economy is great, driving the same as the kuga I get over 50. Lifetime warrantee is a great reassurance. The downside - 2 actually. It's noisy, both the engine and the road noise, also I've still not mastered stalling it.

Edited by markm

Thanks for the replies folks,

I agree Markm, you do seem to get more "toys" in the Vauxhalls. Probably due to VX always tailing slightly behind Ford on most if not all models.....I've always been a VX man though, the extra toys being one of the reasons.

Although at this moment in time I'm swaying towards the Kuga.......

I have the low-down on how the AWD works on the Kuga, but I forgot to ask the VX dealer that question, so i'll need to do so. However, I expect it's probably the same. No human interaction required at all... That kind of disappoints me really, as I'd prefer even a simple on-off button.

I currently drive a VX Insignia, and a 53 plate VX Frontera for shooting and taking the dogs out. Both of which i'll sell privately. I know the Frontera gets a lot of stick, but for the money you can't fault them. Having had 3 over the years they were all fine, and all were under a grand to buy. Thirsty and lack of power were an issue, but isn't that all 4x4's?? And crikey did I give my MK1 swb some stick, and she kept going. Anyhow, I digress.....

Jamie

Edited by jam1e

Jamie.

The mokka is auto awd. The mrs just got a new style top spec qashqui. It has a button. 2WD, 4WD which kicks in when needed or a full 4WD.

If I had a choice of a free car (both models) I would choose the kuga.

But the mokka is close behind.

Jamie.

The mokka is auto awd. The mrs just got a new style top spec qashqui. It has a button. 2WD, 4WD which kicks in when needed or a full 4WD.

If I had a choice of a free car (both models) I would choose the kuga.

But the mokka is close behind.

Now why couldn't Ford or VX do that! :rolleyes:

Not keen on the looks of the Qashqui, probably a better car though and a little over my budget...

KIA were always pants on fuel and residuals you buying new? outright or leasing?

Missus is looking at similar (Juke) but the only ones that make sense day to day are the petrol 2wd, the only one i would want are diesel AWD.............

My workmates got a mokka 4x4 it's avg 50mpg he says? There a bit low for offloading tho and he has had it stuck a few times.. (we spend 40% of our day driving down lanes to sites)

Be interested to know how the 4wd works.. i presume it's automated from the tc?

Edited by houlsby

I have a 1.7 diesel (2wd) Mokka and it is very noisy for a modern Diesel engine, plus the road noise is above average too. I'm not sure what the 4wd version is like by comparison.

The spec on my SE model is amazing, but the noise really let's it down.

My friend has got the se 1.7 diesel aswell and yeah engine noise is appalling for a modern car. But fully loaded on the se model.

Nice to drive thou apart from the noise

get a 2007 to 2012 Toyota rav4 2 tone tow cap 50mpg genuine 4x4 ability with locking diff, a excellent well built reliable car, many cars mentioned are these urban suvs and aren't deigned for shooting or going any where dirtier than the grass verge plus the rav does have a sun roof to poke your self out of

Edited by heardandseen