How many active members?

-Mongrel-

One of the emails I received during the dealings and conversations over the changes to the GL, suggested that it was a tiny minority of the PW members who were getting involved in the (40 page) debate, as apparently PW has over 33,000 members!

I find this hard to believe to be honest, but, if it is true it must be a figure arrived at from the number who have ever 'joined' PW rather than the current users.

Another biking page I'm involved recently had a cull. They posted up that people should add their names to the post if they wanted to stay. The post was stickied to the top of the page for a month, then all members other than those who had responded were deemed inactive...and deleted. They went from a membership of 3500 to just over 300, about 10%.

If this were to happen here, how many do you think we'd end up with? 3500? I tend to doubt it!

The 30 odd thousand members is based on everyone who has ever signed up to PW

Banned members are still on the list

There are members who join but never post and just like to read what's going on,

There are members who joined just so they could go the charity shoot,

There are 300 and odd members on here now,

Most ever at one time was 700 and odd

I don't know how you could cull the membership or why you would want to,

Interesting topic though

:shaun:

The 30 odd thousand members is based on everyone who has ever signed up to PW

Banned members are still on the list

There are members who join but never post and just like to read what's going on,

There are members who joined just so they could go the charity shoot,

There are 300 and odd members on here now,

Most ever at one time was 700 and odd

I don't know how you could cull the membership or why you would want to,

Interesting topic though

Mostly very odd, IMO

Edited by amateur

Interesting stuff.

I used to read this forum a lot and lurked about before I wrote anything. I would assume a lot of people make themselves a member and read a lot of stuff and advise more than they ever could ask for to get started...

And then some turn into full blown topic starters and posters from there.

I'm assuming you are talking about The Greylag going on the GL debate. I may not have posted but I followed it with interest and looked forward to the guy from BASC responses. I think the guys that were heavily into the debate was doing a good enough job of arguing the case. For me or anyone else to have posted just a repeat of what had already been said is a waste of everyone's time.

PW has 32400 members

7860 have not logged in in 5 years

10760 have not logged in in 4 years

17420 have not logged in in 3 years

18740 have not logged in in 2 years

23220 have not logged in in 1 year

26040 have not logged in in 6 months

28900 have not logged in in 30 days

14320 of all members have a zero post count

So lets take the 30 day figure as an 'active' member for arguments sake - that is 3500 'active' members. Pretty good going I think.

PW has 32400 members

7860 have not logged in in 5 years

10760 have not logged in in 4 years

17420 have not logged in in 3 years

18740 have not logged in in 2 years

23220 have not logged in in 1 year

26040 have not logged in in 6 months

28900 have not logged in in 30 days

14320 of all members have a zero post count

So lets take the 30 day figure as an 'active' member for arguments sake - that is 3500 'active' members. Pretty good going I think.

Wow

How did you find that out?

As an active Pigeon Shooter ( not at present on holiday ) I was drawn to PW , I find the content of actual pigeon shooting diluted by other methods , species. I think the balance is about right at present although it could do with a bit more pigeon shooting at times. In my opinion if you are going to talk or show pictures of quarry a bit more detail would help to improve the knowledge of the other members. Not just out foxing last night , picture. Or made some rabbit traps or snares and used them on a local garden , method and result.

The craft section could show a few more home made gadgets not just knives, I find my Swiss Army knife up to most things.

Any way my glass is empty now and I must call Spiros to fill it so I can stay on the WiFi.

Why would you want to cull the number of users active or otherwise ?

If you are going to try and attract adverting revenue you have to show potential advertisers as large a market as possible

To be fair, the other place was not a commercial enterprise, so no advertisers involved and they felt that all of the 'dead' accounts were just a waste, particularly when they started doing group mailings and such like. May have been a site 'space' issue as well.

Interesting that even the mods are aware that there's only a small percentage of the total of PW members that are active, but BASC seem to think the number representative. The comment made to me by a BASC rep was ' As regards pigeonwatch, approx. 40 people oppose the proposals in a thread on the wildfowling section ... ... There are approx. 32,000 registered members on pigeonwatch'. That seemed to me an attempt to make the debaters look an insignificant number. I'm not knocking them to be honest, but wonder if the 'fowlers got such short shrift as they were such a 'tiny minority'.

Edited by -Mongrel-

I'm assuming you are talking about The Greylag going on the GL debate. I may not have posted but I followed it with interest and looked forward to the guy from BASC responses. I think the guys that were heavily into the debate was doing a good enough job of arguing the case. For me or anyone else to have posted just a repeat of what had already been said is a waste of everyone's time.

I agree :yes:

To be fair, the other place was not a commercial enterprise, so no advertisers involved and they felt that all of the 'dead' accounts were just a waste, particularly when they started doing group mailings and such like. May have been a site 'space' issue as well.

Interesting that even the mods are aware that there's only a small percentage of the total of PW members that are active, but BASC seem to think the number representative. The comment made to me by a BASC rep was ' As regards pigeonwatch, approx. 40 people oppose the proposals in a thread on the wildfowling section ... ... There are approx. 32,000 registered members on pigeonwatch'. That seemed to me an attempt to make the debaters look an insignificant number. I'm not knocking them to be honest, but wonder if the 'fowlers got such short shrift as they were such a 'tiny minority'.

It just shows how statistics/numbers can be used to someones advantage to forward a point

Regards

H

As an active Pigeon Shooter ( not at present on holiday ) I was drawn to PW , I find the content of actual pigeon shooting diluted by other methods , species. I think the balance is about right at present although it could do with a bit more pigeon shooting at times. In my opinion if you are going to talk or show pictures of quarry a bit more detail would help to improve the knowledge of the other members. Not just out foxing last night , picture. Or made some rabbit traps or snares and used them on a local garden , method and result.

The craft section could show a few more home made gadgets not just knives, I find my Swiss Army knife up to most things.

Any way my glass is empty now and I must call Spiros to fill it so I can stay on the WiFi.

I agree with that.....im sure if the pigeons were more in evidence there would be more write ups...at the moment we have to rely on the lucky stalwarts jdog-motty your goodself and just a few others.........DIY should have a resident agony aunt like Lord Geordie

i think my favourite post to date was the "look at my hide post"....some great pics.........

I've randomly read the GL as it has gone along but with all things that involve basc I just tend to ignore it as a complete waste of time. Total waste of time just like politicians. Father always told me "Dont get involved in politics or religion, It will only get you involved in an argument to no good end". I've extended that to include basc. Wasters

Agreed, I intend on doing some write ups as soon as I work out the picture process, my lack of tech know how too blame here

I tend not to post in the pigeon shooting,wildfowling sections as I don't do it, same as airgunning

In fact most of my posts would be in off topic and clay shooting

We have a diverse membership and I look forward to it continuing for many a year, because if we all liked the same thing it would be boring

It would however also be a 'good thing' if we spoke with a loud and united voice or we simply fall victim, as above, to statistics of choice - I wonder how many letters of complaint BASC got on the GL issue.

However many it wasn't enough, clearly. I sent one as did a 'few' others.