Beating dogs still in fasion then?

hedd-wyn

When correcting dogs physically it always seems to look a lot worse than it actually is.

I've never quite worked out why Chris Upton posted this video. I saw it last year but it's resurfaced again lately & the abuse he's had on Facebook has been unreal. If anything can be learnt from it, if you train in a public place be very careful what you do. A simple repositioning of a dog or a bit of a row with one could be seen by a do gooder as something much more sinister.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never quite worked out why Chris Upton posted this video. I saw it last year but it's resurfaced again lately & the abuse he's had on Facebook has been unreal. If anything can be learnt from it, if you train in a public place be very careful what you do. A simple repositioning of a dog or a bit of a row with one could be seen by a do gooder as something much more sinister.

this is very true , but what drives me crazy is the fact my dogs are kept in top condition with no expense spared when it's comes to food, warmth , their kennels are kept spotless and they are walked or trained morning and night . To be told that I am cruel for scruffing my dog who I care for endlessly by somone with an over weight dried up old pooch that has had no Effort put in to it what so ever is a real p*** take.

I personally don't see anything wrong with that as a previous post said head strong dogs some times need a little slap like that to get the message across but your not beating the head off him with pole for gods sake just when the dogs being to head strong or being disobedient just a little tap around the his backside will not do him anyharm just making him think twice before doing so.

I know that some members dont agree with this sort of thing but its my opinion on the subject and as stated I dont think theres muck wrong with that.

I have a book here complied by John Humphreys called " The Complete Gundog" it read

"Correction can only be successfully effected if the dog knows the whys and wherefores of it which means catching him in the act of committing the crime.

It is completely pointless to administrator any rebuke afterwards, especially upon his return to you."

Now this is just a small paragraph from the section on punishment but I think that it is the best paragraph out of the section.

All the best SW

Picking up a dog by the ears is just wrong, surely people can see that. Besides which, it wasn't needed, just putting the dog calmly back on the spot, no eye contact or speech, would have done the job. The dog wants to please the owner, it wants the praise, it isn't ignoring the owner it just hasn't been shown clearly what it is supposed to be doing.

Picking up a dog by the ears is just wrong, surely people can see that. Besides which, it wasn't needed, just putting the dog calmly back on the spot, no eye contact or speech, would have done the job. The dog wants to please the owner, it wants the praise, it isn't ignoring the owner it just hasn't been shown clearly what it is supposed to be doing.

I agree 100%with you.

I'm done with this post now My opinion is still the same.

Beat or hit a dog like that then put it in the kennel for 6 months because that how long it will take for the dog to forget........

Neil

well summed up

But it wasn't picked up by it's ears and that is the crux of the matter

Just watched the vid again and he does pick it up by its ears.

If the guy had scruffed the dog I don't think people would be jumping on the band wagon to hang him out to dry

I dont know the guy and even If you like his method or not, I hear he is a pritty good trainer and does get results.

Old news now, this vid has been around for 12 months, I have seen far worst in the past,

Edited by Actionpigeons

• 2 weeks later...

Every dog is different my cocker would just ignore me and do as he pleases if it were not for a harsh scrutiny or a sharp slap. He don't even feel it. It's the contact and shock that does it with mine. Our other two dogs non working breeds only need a harsh word.

What one person thinks is right another dosent that's fine with me, if my dog was good with a harsh word that's all he gets if he chooses to ignore me he gets a clout..

Had various dogs all my life.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

My Labrador is headstrong in a big way as in if he heard a gunshot and he was more than 10 yards from me he used to think "I'll fetch that" :) hence I only take him when I'm by myself or with my son because his game finding is outstanding.

I always thought that hitting a dog was a thing of the past? I read a book once and it talked abut 'flogging' the dog as correction, but having said that it was written in the 1960's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1yT8bbyZU

The guy in this video appears to lift the dog by it's ears then smack it when it doesn't sit still!

Now I'm fairly new to gundog training but I can tell you this now, if I treated my dog that way I would be getting nowhere fast.

Was a bit gob smacked and stunned when I saw this to be honest.

For some dogs and some things physical correction with good timing is certainly required at times. wrong dog, wrong time, wrong mistake and it will set you back though. I should seriously doubt a persons ability to train a gundog if they totally never used any physical correction and as for stock breaking- forget it IMO. Correction needs timing not high levels of pain and possible physical damage and it the stick should not be used over the carrot, letting a dog go and chase sheep then giving it a carrot when it eventually comes back aint gonna do much good though

Didn't look at the video link BTW, there a stack of people giving poor advice all over the u-tube and filming it