Will Poon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never shot again after having several hits marked as misses last year :cry1:

Seriously I was down to go, but had double booked

Shame as is sounds like it might be a classic, oh well next year...

Drunkard!

Oh yeah and I'm first on every stand : lol:

I have just realised what you are on about

I thought it was some bizarre reference to "Game of Thrones"

Crows were from the North you see :)

But I now realise that's your squad name :blush:

:shaun:

Haha haha

Hope you are easily mislead on saturday :yes::yes::yes:

No your not ,we always rotate on each stand.Hope you can do a good turn.. :lol: from Auntie.

Ha ha, all the guys on my squad from last year will know what I mean, the marker put me up first on each stand, he just couldn't get the idea of rotating who goes first, also he called Stuart "drunkard" much to our amusement!

Ive been using this all week so I can try and strike up a conversation with some of as long as you speak slowly!!!!!

Visit Yorkshire and try to pick up some of the lingo. Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Wakefield, Doncaster, Leeds, York.

"Oh" sounds are pronounced "or". For example, No would be pronounced "nor" But please, please remember that there is no emphasis on the 'R' - if you say it like that, you'll sound Irish.

Words ending with and "ee" sound are pronounced as "eh" sounds. Example: "Nasty" would be "nasteh".

Yorkshire folk sometimes say "aye" for yes, and "nay or nah" for no.

If you ever hear the word "Nowt" (pronounced nohwt -NOT 'nahwt'-) it means "nothing". Similarly, "owt" (pronounced "ohwt") means "anything".

The word "right" is often pronounced "Raight" and has many, many different uses other than correct or the opposite of left! It could mean "really," E.G - "It's really good"/"It's RAIGHT good." Another use could be "Alright" - "Are you alright"/"Are you all-raight?"

All use of "the" and "to" is replaced with "t'", which is pronounced by replacing the vowel sound with a half-audible "uh" noise, the kind you might make if you were lifting something unexpectedly heavy. EG: "I'm going into the woods"/"Ah'm goin' int'[uh noise] woods" (note: the g at the end of "ing" is also dropped).

The letter T is usually dropped at the end of words and replaced with the same "uh"/heavy lifting sound. eg- that becomes tha[uh].

"Nah then" is a perfectly acceptable, and very friendly way to greet someone. It's Yorkshire speak for "Now, then". Another common greeting is "Ey up, how's tha doin?"

A wife or girlfriend is commonly referred to as "our lass".

"Propah" is used to substitute "really" as well as "raight" and "well." EG:- "She's really nasty"/"She wa' propah nasteh"/"She wa' well nasteh".

The 'th' at the end of 'with' is dropped. "I was going with him"/"I wa' goin' wi' 'im". This also applies to "was".

"H" sounds are commonly dropped. Him/Her = 'im/'er.

"Bloody" (or as Yorkshire folk say, 'bloodeh') could be a substitute for "****ing". E.g., "That bloodeh dog never shuts up" (alternatively, that bloodeh dog neva giz it's gob a rest).

"Give or gives" sometimes becomes "giz" and "take" becomes "tek".

"Tha" and "thee" are both used to mean "you".

The word Sandwich is sometimes shortened to "Sarnie" or "butty" instead. Eg- "i'm 'avin an 'am sarnie" ('am instead of ham) or "i'm 'avin a chip butty".

Watch some clips on YouTube or films with Yorkshire accents. Brassed Off, Kes and The Full Monty are good examples.

Some famous movies might also be dubbed with a Yorkshire accent.

A lot of Yorkshire people don't pronounce the letter 'h', so 'how' would be pronounced 'ow'.