Beginner Skeet Scores

Mark56

I've had a few lessons, got the gun and am now a free range shooter at the local club. I've had about three practise rounds of skeet and am getting scores of around 18/19 each time (one being in terrible weather). I just wondered what everyone else was getting when they first tried - no exaggerating!

What is a good beginner's score? What kind of problems did you face without a good instructor correcting you?

I've had a few lessons, got the gun and am now a free range shooter at the local club. I've had about three practise rounds of skeet and am getting scores of around 18/19 each time (one being in terrible weather). I just wondered what everyone else was getting when they first tried - no exaggerating!

What is a good beginner's score? What kind of problems did you face without a good instructor correcting you?

I would say that is a good score for a beginner. When I started shooting skeet at the age of 13/14 I was hitting around 15 - 17. My dad (AA sporting shot) was 'teaching' me. I had issues with stance and foot position that I corrected over time.

These days I expect to hit at least 23+ every time, though I rarely shoot clays now.

I would say that is a good score for a beginner. When I started shooting skeet at the age of 13/14 I was hitting around 15 - 17. My dad (AA sporting shot) was 'teaching' me. I had issues with stance and foot position that I corrected over time.

These days I expect to hit at least 23+ every time, though I rarely shoot clays now.

Thanks for sharing, motty. I wish I started at that age! I can see being able to achieve that sort of score eventually, but it might be a while off yet.

Thanks for sharing, motty. I wish I started at that age! I can see being able to achieve that sort of score eventually, but it might be a while off yet.

If you're already getting scores of around 18/19, I don't think it will be too long before you're hitting 4/5 more. Just go shooting plenty, and fine tune the birds you struggle on.

Guest cookoff013

keep your score cards, work out the pattern of misses,

go shoot those exclusively, then start to shoot the whole game again, as in competition.

I think there is probably a lot of technique in skeet shooting. None of the birds are difficult, but there is bound to be a correct method to shooting it properly. I expect a coaching session with a good skeet shooter would teach you a lot of the tricks to shooting it well.

are you missing on the same stand ?

3, 4 and 5, plus more often missing with the second of a pair with the sbs. Mind you, 3/4 might be a bit on the tight side!

Also, these were the first rounds at all with the sbs, so it may just be a case of getting used to it.

That quite good for a beginner but do you not find that after a couple of rounds it becomes a little to easy and boring?

Hitting clays boring???

If your hitting 25's try Olympic skeet.

Trap is similar, repetitive targets but I find it addictive still chasing a straight....

I started proper clay shooting in march this year. The first couple of times I was hitting 14/15. After a couple of lessons and plenty of practice with other people and believe it or not watching you tube videos. Im around the 19/20 mark every round.

Im just plucking up the courage to enter an open skeet comp to see what its like and to see how I am under pressure so to speak.

Skeet is a very good discipline to learn about the amount off lead needed for various birds

This is basically what the instructor said when I had a couple of lessons is that about 80% of sporting stands will more or less have a similar position to one of the skeet stands. Whether it's true or not seems to have worked for me in a certain degree

Have taught English Skeet for awhile now those are tidy scores for a novice now it's tightening up on style and as has been said find the boggie birds and killing them, low 6 is common for a right hander.

If you want to do it seriously find a skeet instructor it will help.

So I've had about 8 lessons spaced over a few months (took a while for the license to finally come through, and then to get the shotgun). I guess it's a case of - get a lot of practise in, but keep up the lessons with the instructor to iron out any flaws along the way?

This is basically what the instructor said when I had a couple of lessons is that about 80% of sporting stands will more or less have a similar position to one of the skeet stands. Whether it's true or not seems to have worked for me in a certain degree

Yes, spot on, Digweed was a prolific Skeet shooter before he became a Sporting legend, it's great practice for Sporting, and shouldn't be regarded as boring.

I used to shoot Skeet a few years back, once you do your first 25 straight you're over the moon and going for that 50, 75 and then the magic ton..!

I shot quite a few scores in the mid to high 90's but almost despaired of breaking the ton, until one Sunday morning at Mepal CTC in Cambs, (now closed unfortunately) I did it, was absolutely chuffed to bits, it's so satisfying to do a perfect score, shame I don't get too many at Sporting.. :no:

Cat.

One of the biggest steps forward in skeet is learning the correct visual pick up points, gun hold positions and break zones for each target and stand, especially for the pairs. Fail to break your first target in the correct place and then either waiting for,or slashing towards or after the second target will lead you in to a whole new world of problems which will often show up in your overall technique.

A good and free learning aid is simply to watch various squads shoot a round. I would ask their permission first. Few will object.

Watch the good shots and see how smooth their transition from 1st to 2nd target is and how small their gun movements are. Spend a bit of time focussing totally on the muzzle movement of successful shots too.

Common things to see with less successful shooters are the muzzle moving in the opposite direction to the target, muzzles rising/falling to the line, failing to see second target or attempting to shoot it about 15 yards after it has passed the trap house. None of these will improve your scores. ;)