Beginner Skeet Scores

Mark56

One of the biggest steps forward in skeet is learning the correct visual pick up points, gun hold positions and break zones for each target and stand, especially for the pairs. Fail to break your first target in the correct place and then either waiting for,or slashing towards or after the second target will lead you in to a whole new world of problems which will often show up in your overall technique.

A good and free learning aid is simply to watch various squads shoot a round. I would ask their permission first. Few will object.

Watch the good shots and see how smooth their transition from 1st to 2nd target is and how small their gun movements are. Spend a bit of time focussing totally on the muzzle movement of successful shots too.

Common things to see with less successful shooters are the muzzle moving in the opposite direction to the target, muzzles rising/falling to the line, failing to see second target or attempting to shoot it about 15 yards after it has passed the trap house. None of these will improve your scores. ;)

Thanks for the tips, hillmouse! I hadn't thought of doing that.

Thanks hillmouse and Daf - some good hints there.

Did a couple of rounds with No1 son today, trying out different options from the Beaky armoury. Turns out he is far better with the sbs than me :( , and I shoot much better with my semi auto (19 again).

Rob did a 10 and a 14 for his first skeet rounds ever :D

Looks like my plan to keep his sticky fingers off my newly restored SKB Light are straight out of the window!

My skeet history so far, thought it might be a good discipline to get into from a POV of preparing to move into other disciplines.

Had a dabble with Mrs Bryn around 3 weeks of weeks ago we both thought 'this is fun' but didn't know much about it.

Went down Garlands to have my gun fitted by Daf we started out on the skeet range where Daf gave me some pointers and over the next couple of hours on skeet and sporting he put my confidence into hyperdrive.

last weekend Mrs Bryn and I had a chance to have another short dabble at skeet range.

Today decided to see what would happen if I shot a proper round and scored it - result 16 & 18, Mrs Bryn thought I chipped another couple on the second round but I couldn't be sure so counted them as losses. Really struggled on H4 as a combination of the angle of the sun making the clay almost yellow & the yellow lenses I had on lightening the leafy background made H4 all but invisible until just before it dived into the blackthorn. 1&7 are gimmes, 2&6 are pretty sound as is 3, 5 could be better and 4 is frustrating.

Plan to have 2 or 3 rounds tomorrow and Monday, then its down to See Daf collect one gun drop off my 'skeet' stock and have a specific Skeet lesson.

Bryn12, there are no gimmes on the skeet range. I had a couple of rounds on Thursday and a guy on the squad missed the high house single on station 7, he was clear until then. I shot 75 straight in a competition and missed the first bird on the last 25. You need to give each target respect or the gimmes will become your downfall

Bryn12, there are no gimmes on the skeet range. I had a couple of rounds on Thursday and a guy on the squad missed the high house single on station 7, he was clear until then. I shot 75 straight in a competition and missed the first bird on the last 25. You need to give each target respect or the gimmes will become your downfall

I've seen to many people f@£# it up on their option of low 7 because it was a "gimme" and they'd switched off.

Well I thought I'd update after my first few practice sessions of skeet!

18/19 (promising, thought I'd go up...)

12/18 (horrendous wet day, could barely see at first!)

15/16 (meh)

20 (my aim was to get a 20 for the week!)

14 (very strong winds, but missed a couple of sitters)

So, a bit of a mixed bag. As low as 12 and as high as 20. My teacher caught me at the end of the last lot and I explained some of the issues I was having. The high birds on traps 2 and 3 have been the most consistently difficult, since I still have my left eye closed and I see the clay quite late (then stab at it). He said he'd start developing me to shoot with that eye open over the next few lessons.

Until then, I'll keep burning through the cartridges until it comes together on the rest...

Do you shoot with one eye closed due to eye dominance or just habbit?

Stick with it skeet can be very frustrating especially when perfection is the name of the game!

During my first couple of proper lessons we figured out that, although I didn't have a dominance issue, I shot better with my left eye closed, so that's how I started really. And then it became habit - and now I shall, at some point, have to unlearn it!

Yes, I found myself getting quite frustrated with myself when I got that 12 - it's certainly becoming an exercise in patience... I know I can hit most of the singles on a good day when I'm not thinking too much, and the pairs when things are going well, but it's just getting everything together at the same time...

I used to find I missed the high house from stations 2&3 when I started shooting skeet. I found it quite easy to over lead them and to miss them over the top. They don't require much lead. They drop fairly quickly after half way, so you either need to take them before that, or get a bit underneath.

I used to find I missed the high house from stations 2&3 when I started shooting skeet. I found it quite easy to over lead them and to miss them over the top. They don't require much lead. They drop fairly quickly after half way, so you either need to take them before that, or get a bit underneath.

High 2 needs to be shot before the peg, I assume your shooting gun up and using maintained lead.

Try rolling your eyes up and left of the barrels as soon as you see the clay move the gun and shoot, it a very reactive shot not a slow measured one.

High 2 needs to be shot before the peg, I assume your shooting gun up and using maintained lead.

Try rolling your eyes up and left of the barrels as soon as you see the clay move the gun and shoot, it a very reactive shot not a slow measured one.

I'm quite a reactive shot and very often shoot clays the same as I shoot pigeons.

I always shoot gun down and don't look too far back to the trap when calling. I pick the bird up before half way and shoot them just after on 2&3. I don't struggle with skeet these days, it's only my concentration that lets me down - like a few weeks ago when I shot a 19. I was disgusted with myself, but I know I wasn't concentrating.

Motty sorry the points where aimed at mark

You will fined skeet easier if the singles are shot as mark of the pair. The first bird should be shot 2-3 m before the centre peg, the second bird will then be 2-3 m the other side this gives you 4-6m to reverse the swing for the second bird.

If you shoot the first bird after the centre peg you have race back to overtake and kill the second, this is considered poor technique.

Watch a good skeet shot they will tend to kill both birds in approximately the same area with smooth small gun movements.

Motty sorry the points where aimed at mark

You will fined skeet easier if the singles are shot as mark of the pair. The first bird should be shot 2-3 m before the centre peg, the second bird will then be 2-3 m the other side this gives you 4-6m to reverse the swing for the second bird.

If you shoot the first bird after the centre peg you have race back to overtake and kill the second, this is considered poor technique.

Watch a good skeet shot they will tend to kill both birds in approximately the same area with smooth small gun movements.

I think I have been waiting to get it on the peg or just after, and end up missing by a country mile. That's a good tip, thanks. I haven't quite yet built up a good sight picture of this one. On the pair I'm fairly hopeless, because of chasing after the first one. I can sometimes get back in time to get the low bird. This is one that I'm going to have to spend a while trying to get right. I can get it, but I'm not really aware of how or why in quite the same way as for high 1. If it happens it's more luck than judgement.

Edited by Mark56