Lane 2 hoggers

JimLondon

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same vein why would you as a person joining a motorway not forward think and plan your entry by assessing the speed of the motorway traffic, identifying a space,and adjusting your speed to fit in with the speed of the motorway traffic.

Well this might be the reason why the general standard of driving is so poor, everyone thinks it's everyone else's job to accommodate.

Yes you're right, but so am I.

but why no one is allowed to over take

Immaterial. The Highway code states that if it is clear and safe to do so then you should always travel in the left hand lane on the motorway (lane 1). Lanes 2 and 3 are for overtaking only, this would include pulling out to accommodate joining traffic moving at a slower pace.

Muddy Funker-Well this might be the reason why the general standard of driving is so poor, everyone thinks it's everyone else's job to accommodate.

It is their job to accommodate, the person on the motorway has right of way the person on the slip has to adjust.

The way I view it that under almost all instances (the exception being someone driving like a tit weaving) if someone can easily undertake you without driving like Lewis Hamilton, your driving with poor lane discipline and shouldnt be in the way. Driving on the a12, m25 and a13 daily, you see an enormous amount of people sitting in the wrong lanes getting in everyones way. The worst being the a13 London bound where most of the time its possible to undertake 10's, sometimes as many as 30-40 cars at a time without altering your speed or even exceeding the speed limit. Throw in a few lorries and it makes a road that shouldnt be very busy, very slow and busy on a daily basis.

Spot on

My driving pet hate is people who refuse to move over into an empty lane when you are trying to join from a slip road. So you have to slow right down, pull in behind them then speed up to over take! That and people who try to join an A road at 40mph, or don't indicate at roundabouts!

The onus is one you to adjust your speed as you are joining the main carriagewa. I agree they are idiots / uncourteous but they dont have to change lanes to let you in.

Muddy Funker-Well this might be the reason why the general standard of driving is so poor, everyone thinks it's everyone else's job to accommodate.

It is their job to accommodate, the person on the motorway has right of way the person on the slip has to adjust.

You're missing my point, regardless of what the highway code says in certain situations drivers could help each other out making the roads safer and making progress easier.

Maybe not everyone follows the highway code, I'd guess that few do.

It's up to those that drive to a high standard to recognise this and avoid hazards before they arise.

I'll stand by my point, it makes no sense to stay in lane one when approaching an on slip if there is room to move over and avoid a developing hazard.

Edited by Muddy Funker

This seems to be going on far too long. Let me clear up any confusion for other drivers. If I'm joining a motorway I have right of way. Leaving a motorway I have right of way. On a roundabout I have right of way. At a junction I have right of way. At traffic lights, depending on how long they have been red, I have right of way. On a narrow country lane I have right of way. In a supermarket car park I have right of way. On a pedestrian crossing I have right of way. Outside a school, if I'm dropping the kids off, I have right of way. On a motorway, regardless of speed or lane, I have right of way. In a disabled bay I have right of way.

Does that just about cover it?

My pet hate too, but even worse are the muppets in the left lane who swing into the overtaking lane to stop the person on the slip road who HAS TO GIVE WAY from actually giving way, instead they make the car in the overtaking lane have to reduce speed, yet see no sense of irony in this at all.

What is an overtaking lane?, lanes 2 & 3 are for overtaking, not just lane 2.

This seems to be going on far too long. Let me clear up any confusion for other drivers. If I'm joining a motorway I have right of way. Leaving a motorway I have right of way. On a roundabout I have right of way. At a junction I have right of way. At traffic lights, depending on how long they have been red, I have right of way. On a narrow country lane I have right of way. In a supermarket car park I have right of way. On a pedestrian crossing I have right of way. Outside a school, if I'm dropping the kids off, I have right of way. On a motorway, regardless of speed or lane, I have right of way. In a disabled bay I have right of way.

Are you a BMW or RR Sport driver :lol::lol:

In the same vein why would you as a person joining a motorway not forward think and plan your entry by assessing the speed of the motorway traffic, identifying a space,and adjusting your speed to fit in with the speed of the motorway traffic.

You would Rob, IMHO that is teh correct way to join the motorway, unless i am in the Landcruiser in which case i am always right....

but why no one is allowed to over take

I think I know what you are getting at. Because you are doing 70mph no one legally should be overtaking you anyway. The reality is they will want to overtake you. Defensive driving is all about ensuring you read the conditions and know what other drivers are doing. One of the most dangerous manoeuvres on a motorway is when you change lanes. By driving in the middle lane when it is perfectly safe to drive in the inside lane you are causing traffic to change lanes to get around you. If there are vehicles in the inside lane travelling slower than you are, then the safest place for you is overtaking in the second lane not moving in and out every few yards to overtake. However if clear as previously said you should be travelling in it yourself to prevent other cars from having to change lanes.

Hope that made sense

Defensive driving is all about ensuring you read the conditions and know what other drivers are doing.

When I used to live in Hackney I always had a tyre wrench under the seat. Now that's what I call proper defensive driving.

Edited by mick miller

You're either a taxi driver or cyclist then :)

Oh ok, wanted a proper Range Rover but didn't have quite enough to buy one so got an ex Police motor at auction?

Not quite. The roof on my carport is quite low and I don't have the cash to have a new one put on. My previous car was an MX5 so it didn't matter too much. Oh, and I wanted a white one to match my teeth.

Whether middle lane hoggers grow brain cells and move to the inside lane depends entirely on what you're driving in, anything remotely posh and a pack of wild horses wouldn't budge a transit size van or a Skoda with a young driver ! Drive a normal family car and the world mostly smiles, drive a Modus and absolutely no one will allow you to overtake them.

I have never experienced it but it must feel great getting deliberately held up by a pair of wazzocks in a van for miles and miles only to give up and go back in the inside lane, sit there long enough for them to assume you're coming off at the next exit, then time things to absolute perfection by flooring it past the losers (frantically accelerating but knowing they've been had), pull in front and play the slow down, speed up game for the next four junctions, oh how I would larf. :lol:

Range Rover Evoque, I like to think I dare to be different.

It's white.

My mate has one, same colour. He has a heated steering wheel, now that is limp wristed! :lol::lol:

His redeeming move is that hes has a 1955 S1 Landrover.

Love MX5s,wife had 2, we got called hairdressers but if the passenger seat was empty, someone always wanted in... :good::good:

My mate has one, same colour. He has a heated steering wheel, now that is limp wristed! :lol::lol:

His redeeming move is that hes has a 1955 S1 Landrover.

Love MX5s,wife had 2, we got called hairdressers but if the passenger seat was empty, someone always wanted in... :good::good:

It's only a redeeming move if he puts his overalls on and crawls underneath to fix things, if not, he's just another poser.

Can I ask, his Series I, is it, you know, concours?

My wife had an MX5, I couldn't even get in the thing (6ft 1") without my knees touching my nose.

Hi Mick,

No,its a tidy runner but has that patina of age and wear. Like all good LRs ( in my opinion) it is as it left the factory but 55 years of wear on it. My own Defender has many bumps, scratches and dents on it. each one tells a story.