Pigeons in Wiltshire

No doubt in my mind that Pigeon numbers are well down in Glos, Wilts & Oxon area.

I have seen small flocks of 100 + birds in various areas and although cummulatively they may make up a substantial number of birds I feel there is no where near as many birds about as 10 - 15 years ago and I dont think my Local Farm suppliers sell as many gas scarers as they use to.

There is with out doubt a far hgher percentage of brassicas grown by farmers these days in proportion to wheat or barley and I have noticed a general trend of birds being more dispersed in smaller flocks rather than 500 - 1000 that were once common.

I cannot agree with previous comments made after my previous mail on pigeon numbers about detremental shooting during the breeding cycle. Besides Shooting and Fishing my first passion was and is Ornithology so I think I know a bit about these birds. Pigeon dont normally flock up in large numbers during the breeding months as they pair off and are very attentive parents. If weather conditions dictate they will breed well into the autumn months but a single bird shot on the wing during this time is likely to be a feeding parent travelling between feeding and nest sites..... one dead hen could mean two dead squabs so just think you could be hitting three birds with one shot.! Fisherman Mike

I'm looking for a shootin' buddy in the N. Wilts, S. Glos, Avon & N. Somerset areas if anyone is nice enough to take a returnee to the sport under their wing!?

Besides Shooting and Fishing my first passion was and is Ornithology

The shooting helping you get closer to your first love possibly...? :)

Hi Mike, I agree with you about the size of the flocks- most of my shooting is done in Norfolk (Bootiful!) and till now they have resisted getting together in large flocks, tis the mild weather me thinks! I can also bear you out on the breeding habits, this year we have shot pigeon in November that were certainly young birds-indeed there are many records of Woody breeding in every month except December (must break for Christmas!) This mild weather does make for better sport tho' and I do prefer them in two's and threes as opposed to flocks of a hundred (my heart won't take it ) I had a few good days on Linseed in November and December (self seeded after it was harvested and left till now!) bagging a few days of 100+ but they all arrived in very small groups. I am sure a really good frost or even an inch of snow over the next few weeks could provide some excellent days- I am sure the flock size will be greater if that happens tho'......

(Trouble with talking bout pigeon this time of the night is I spend all night building bl**dy hides in my dreams...................Oh well !!! ) :)

Are they the big flocks though which were once quite common ? or twos threes and fours coming regularly to the deeks.

Yes we get the big flocks in on the rape every year. Anything from 500-2000 at a guess.

I think the reason that they are shooting so well this year is because a lot of our farmers didn't put the gas bangers out till recently. This seems to have helped enormously as the pigeons aren't "banger-deaf" so we can push them about to get them flying to clients much easier. Once they've heard the bangers for a couple of weeks trying to get them to move off a field where you dont want them to be is a nightmare cos all they do is ignore it and say F U! I dont expect it to continue much longer as a lot of our farms have now put out the gas cannons. In general we're getting 1-5 birds in the deeks at a time with the occassional large flock. They seem very willing to decoy too but I dont know wether thats because we've been experimenting with using two Magnets in the decoy pattern. Using two magnets certainly seems to bring them down confidently, especially if they are flying high up. Its great to see them fold up their wings, push out their chest and dive bomb into the pattern!

We also got good results in November/December because a lot of our farms drilled directly into wheat stubble and October and November showed better sport than August last year! I'd say the average bag throughout December is about 40 birds, we've even had a couple of 100+ bags on the rape in December.

:) Sounds great to me Will. I must book a couple of days next year!.

I would be interested to know what percentage, roughly, of young birds have been shot this season.

Also with so many birds around in your area do rotaries make that much difference in this situation?

I know you have a vested interest in saying yes but I would value your honest opinion

Regards FM