Psyxologos

I am looking at buying my first call for duck and geese, and I was wondering what the collective wisdom is about the best value for money call I could get. It really is a minefield out there with so many calls and prices, but I really want something that is as robust and easy to use as well as economical as possible. I am not interested in how it looks, whether it is engraved etc. Something that will simply improve my chances calling my quarry (namely greylags, pinkfeet, teal, widgeon and mallard). I know that different calls are designed for different birds, and I am also not able to purchase all of them. Depending on what people recommend, and budget allowing I will make a decision, so please let me know what you would recommend for each. Many thanks and straight shooting to all!

Have you tried replicating the calls by voice instead of using a call. If you can master the art, you will get much better results. It's not easy for everyone that's for sure. But give it a go, you may be surprised. As you said you don't want to buy them all, so see which ones you can do yourself and then buy the ones you can't master.

Have you tried replicating the calls by voice instead of using a call. If you can master the art, you will get much better results. It's not easy for everyone that's for sure. But give it a go, you may be surprised. As you said you don't want to buy them all, so see which ones you can do yourself and then buy the ones you can't master.

Though I admit they can be very successful, the mouth callers I have heard in action sound nowt like a pink! so replicating a pink's call by mouth probably wouldn't work! LOL

Think I'll stick with my Eddie Nixon call!!

Eddie Nixon is hard to beat for quality of sound and price, his pink is awesome value for money. Primo do a teal/pintail combo which is very good and reasonable and as for wigeon the old faithful brass trumpety thing is hard to beat for loudnest and price.

There seems to be a bit of a craze for custom made calls at the minute( I bought a conducktor call for a friends birthday and its a work of art, I knew he would love it, he is a tart) and its become all the rage to have the latest expensive thing to have attached to a lanyard which resemables a ladies charm bracelet.

I bought a Eddie Jordan off here second hand which works fine for greylag, the Nixon pink is about £18 as is the Primo and the wigoen calls are a few quid.

Don't get caught up in the hype.

Though I admit they can be very successful, the mouth callers I have heard in action sound nowt like a pink! so replicating a pink's call by mouth probably wouldn't work! LOLThink I'll stick with my Eddie Nixon call!!

I was a very close friend of the late John 'pinkie Butler and believe me he was an absolute master at calling Pinks by mouth. To watch him in action calling Pinks in, which I have done countless times was absolutely amazing. So ask anyone on the South Humber where John used to be the Warden if you can have success with it. Those that knew him would confirm. He taught my son how to call as well and he is very competent at Pinks. I'm absolutely useless, I can't even whistle in tune let alone copy a Pink. I would encourage everyone to give it a go. If you can reach the pitch you will be amazed.

I have watched the you tube video of John bulter calling pinks, it clearly must have worked for him to do it but I had to turn the volume down as the racket he was making drove me mental, it sounded nothing like a pink either, but if he got the results thats what counts.

I have watched the you tube video of John bulter calling pinks, it clearly must have worked for him to do it but I had to turn the volume down as the racket he was making drove me mental, it sounded nothing like a pink either, but if he got the results thats what counts.

I do understand what you mean, you had to be a long way away from him to actually appreciate how good it was.I have known John call and someone else try responding to him, thinking it was a pink in the air. But if you can mimic the racket as you call it with the right tempo and response to the bird, honestly you will get results. John used to call for Arthur Cadman who described him as the best Pinkfeet caller he had ever heard. I'm not trying to sell you anything, just wanted to help the guy who started the post.

I do understand what you mean, you had to be a long way away from him to actually appreciate how good it was.I have known John call and someone else try responding to him, thinking it was a pink in the air. But if you can mimic the racket as you call it with the right tempo and response to the bird, honestly you will get results. John used to call for Arthur Cadman who described him as the best Pinkfeet caller he had ever heard. I'm not trying to sell you anything, just wanted to help the guy who started the post.

Not having a dig fella, if anything it goes to prove that you don't have to sound perfect to the human ear to get the birds heading your way. As I said it clearly did the business otherwise he would not have bothered.

I will listen to it again tonight, with the volume down :good: otherwise the wife will slap me lol

Not having a dig fella, if anything it goes to prove that you don't have to sound perfect to the human ear to get the birds heading your way. As I said it clearly did the business otherwise he would not have bothered.

I will listen to it again tonight, with the volume down :good: otherwise the wife will slap me lol

No probs Terry P. Don't take any notice of the bloke doing most of the talking. He can be a right p*** LOL Edited by birdsallpl

If it works for you fine, but you also get the cocks who think they can call by mouth I was on a marsh in Wigtown last year with the pinks circling my deeks when some cock on the other side of the marsh started shouting woo woo non stop and spooked the geese and he didn't even hang around so I could complement him on his calling!

If it works for you fine, but you also get the cocks who think they can call by mouth I was on a marsh in Wigtown last year with the pinks circling my deeks when some cock on the other side of the marsh started shouting woo woo non stop and spooked the geese and he didn't even hang around so I could complement him on his calling!

I am sorry mate but that story just made me laugh, I bet it wasnt funny at the time though.

I have the vision of a bloke shouting "woo woo" and you fuming.

It could be someone on here!!!

Regards

Hcc

4:05 Kenzie Thorpe mallard mouth calling.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/330

My 'go to' mallard call. 25 odd years old and still going.

http://www.fawcettsonline.com/products/Sonderman-66-Duck-call.html

MPK's standard call is good too.

An old Olt L22 for pinks and a Olt 800 for Greys and Canadas. I had a Dave Jackson Greylag which was good and a Faulk's Canada call, which to my ears is still the most authentic sounding, until I left them on the marsh.

http://www.casstrom.co.uk/Nordik-Greylag-Call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieMfYEWlCVM Dave Jackson Calls Greylag.

http://www.djdecoys.com/product/greylag-ghost-hammer-goose-call/ Greylag Ghost - Sounds great, but I struggled with it.

Edited by Penelope