sprucing up duck decoys

Iam looking for recommendations for paints you would use to spruce up some mallard decs as we where reding out and I for a couple bpdies are fine all the need is a lick of paint and I am wondering does anyone use specific types of paints or do you just use plain paints?

Cheers for the help

I'm doing this myself at present

Light Grey undercoat oil based for body

And using matt model oil paint for everything else

I will post some pics later but don't look bad at present

Cheers spaniel the pics would help if you manage to upload them

Cheers for he help SW

Regular test pot emulsions with a Plasti-Kote clear matt spray lacquer from B&Q of the top.

Iam looking for recommendations for paints you would use to spruce up some mallard decs as we where reding out and I for a couple bpdies are fine all the need is a lick of paint and I am wondering does anyone use specific types of paints or do you just use plain paints?

Cheers for the help

post-70158-0-16271900-1401795770_thumb.jpgpost-70158-0-20283500-1401795778_thumb.jpgHi ,

2 pics of deeks , I re painted after last season .

Leaving aside the arguments for and against Black silhouette V, painted Deeks , IMHO once you decide to paint it should be as close as possible to what you are

trying to Decoy in . Other than Larger White areas that is what I have tried to achieve .

I used Matt Humbrol model paints , Gloss will do and then let it dry for a few days and over spray with Matt vanish as per tin in scan . Protects the finish as well as the matt effect ,

works well for me . No Mallard Drake as I just discovered I didn't re paint since last outing , they will do for next season just fine . If you are using lots of White and Grey paint , household undercoat will be just fine and better when sealed with a coat of matt varnish ,

Enjoy !

Oh , last thought , Paint the Eye Gloss black , after you have sprayed the Matt varnish over the whole Deek .

Edited by GADWALL41

A hair splitting technical note.

I see that a few fowlers paint a white stripe on the flank of their teal decoys.

The teal decoys available in the UK are intended for the U.S. market and represent the north American Green Winged Teal which does have a white flank stripe.

However, our teal, the Eurasian teal (anas crecca), is of a slightly different species and does not, in fact, have a white flank stripe.

On the rare occassions that I paint my deeks, I actually go out of my way to overpaint the white stripe since it`s something that our teal are not expecting to see.

It does rather beg the academic question that,if we`ve been painting decoys in colours that the birds don`t encounter and they still come into the decoys, is it actually the colour or the shape that pulls them in?

Edited by mudpatten

Or if they get that close to notice they should never remember it.

IMO painting decoys up correctly may not be necessary, but certainly does no harm and may help in certain circumstances in daylight shooting.

A hair splitting technical note.

I see that a few fowlers paint a white stripe on the flank of their teal decoys.

The teal decoys available in the UK are intended for the U.S. market and represent the north American Green Winged Teal which does have a white flank stripe.

However, our teal, the Eurasian teal (anas crecca), is of a slightly different species and does not, in fact, have a white flank stripe.

On the rare occassions that I paint my deeks, I actually go out of my way to overpaint the white stripe since it`s something that our teal are not expecting to see.

It does rather beg the academic question that,if you`ve been painting decoys in colours that the birds don`t encounter and they still come into the decoys, is it actually the colour or the shape that pulls them in?

Edited by Penelope

Teal ,

Italian made decoys for the American Market . As per the previously posted pic.

However I find that the Extra , white Stripe certainly Helps at Dusk even to Draw In Wegion , when only Teal deeks are carried .( MORE DEEKS LESS WEIGHT)

Teal can vary a bit in the White Regions, please see the link below. Slightly! off topic North American Teal, Eurasian cross Teal also carries over to Wegion, as I found out 2 seasons ago When I shot a Drake Wegion , North American - Eurasian cross, quite distinctive.

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/03/distinguishing-green-winged-and-common-teal/

Fascinating stuff!

I sometimes think that the distribution of GWTeal in the U.K. is a bit like the various sub species of Brent Geese. For years none are seen, then someone observant spots something unusual, and, before you know it, odd birds are turning up all the time.

A fact that probably has more to do with the relative quality and price of birdwatchers telescopes rather than any real change in distribution.

They`ve probably always been here but nobody noticed. There were two GWTeal in the vicinity of my fowling grounds for almost all of last season.

The importance of decoy colour depends of the time of day you shoot. In the dim light of dawn or dusk colour matters little as all the ducks see are the dark outline of your decoys. However it can be very different decoying in broad daylight. I have often seen decoy shy duck sheer off battered decoys while being fooled by feather perfect decoys.

I usually sort out my decoys just before the start of the season. I used to paint up the drakes , but these days I only repaint them when they are getting pretty battered and

I repaint them as females , it’s a lot simpler than copying drake colours. Of course you tend to end up with more females than males , but it gives me an excuse to buy a few new drakes each season.

Having females outnumber your males in your decoy pattern is no bad thing. Looking at the decoys from ground level it’s the drakes that stand out, but when looking at them from above their various shades of grey merge into the same grey that water reflects from an overcast sky while the brown females stand out the drakes can be hard to see. After all the body colour of most drakes is the same grey as used to disguise a gunning punt.

Before painting American decoys make sure they are not UV painted decoys or you will cover up the UV paint.

Edited by anser2

Dulux weather shield satin (and only satin not the gloss) is good for plastic and requires no undercoat! Get it in white and tint it yourself or get the paint shop to do it though they will only do full tins (bit much if you just want half a dozen green heads).

I don't believe exact colour representation important for 95% of UK use indeed exaggeration of the white on cock widgeon etc might help. Tatty drakes are better than great resplendent newly painted ones early season and full black are very good at drawing duck from a distance, though a baulk at my full spread being black even at night / eve