Weihrauch HW97 - should I fit a tuning kit?

brno223

Having tryed a few springers lately I can honestly say that these drop in kits, to me and IMO have little to no effect the rifles as they are still twangy horrid things. And thats what had put me off buying a springer completely, the last one I tried with a kit in it was HW97 and I didnt rate it at all.

I agree that dropping a kit in isnt tuning a rifle at all, a tuned rifle comes from alot of work by a good gun smith polishing and testing and niggle correcting also to make the best possible result.

But then I shot a true tuned springer in .22 and it was a completly different beast.........

So much so I have oredered myself a truely tuned springer.

Ive only ever had PCP`s before and love them so fo me this latest order I have in is because the rifle and work are worth spending my hard earnt on and as I say its the only one ive felt was of good enough quality to get me to want one and part with my cash.

If I had a standard springer I wouldnt put a kit in I would save up and send it for a propper and true tune so that I didnt waste my money only to end up going down the route of a true tune any way.

ATB

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Update...

Received the WW spring kit a week ago. The kit contains a spring (obviously), 2 washers that are positioned in front of the top hat, and 3 power bands that slide onto the spring guide before it is fitted into the spring. The washers are 2mm and 3mm. The power bands come in 3 sizes - 3mm, 4mm & 5mm. To cut a long story short, I worked my way up until I had all washers and power bands installed. This configuration produces ~11.6 ft/lb with my favourite pellet - the RWS Superdome. This pellet yields the highest power of those I've tried.

I'll run this config for a few hundred pellets then recheck power. So, for now, job done...

P.S. Managed to pinch the short beartrap slide at some stage - d'oh! Ran without it for a bit, which allowed me to de-cock the gun, but in the end decided to fit replacement - next day delivery from T W Chambers.

Edited by brno223

The thing is most new air rifles will pump out around 10.5 ft lbs. It's not being underpowered it's just so when bisley magnums etc are fired through it it doesn't go over 12 ft lbs. The truth is though ALL 'sub 12 ft lb' airguns are over 12 ft lbs with a heavy enough pellet. And those pellets are available.

Get it tuned, but tell whoever does it to set the power to 11.5 ft lbs with the medium grain pellet of your choice.

Be careful.

The law only allows for 12ft lbs maximum and that is with any pellet. Not the pellet of your choice.

If the police ever have cause to inspect your rifle, it will be chronographed with a variety of pellets, not just your favourite pellet.