One for the electricians

kingnewport

Hey all. I've got an 6.6kw induction hob and I've got 10mm cable from the board on a 40 breaker.

Now the question is can I put a 6mm cable from the hob to a cooker junction box. Because I'm currently using 10mm but it's to thick to tighten the screws in the junction box.

Cheers all

yeh 6mm ok but if you are using cooker supply in 10mm jut to supply hob unit then 40mcb too big 30/ 32amp mcb would give closer protection and due to the size of the 6mmm cable

6.6kw 6600 w divide by 240v = 27.5 amps

you need cooker outlet point not junction box

Edited by djgeoff

General rule of thumb, every time there is a reduction in cable size it should be fused down accordingly. Example, a spur off a ring circuit would be fused at the reduction side to protect cable there on in. The same thing happens in 3 pin plugs, 13A for microwaves, 5A for some large TV's 3A table lamps etc. Remember, the fuse is the weak link when something goes wrong.

If you want to keep both hob and cooker, derate the 40A fuse to 32A. Then run the 6.0mm cable. This is allowed and you would be using the cooker and hob on whats know as a diversity allowance, example, you could use any combinations of the cooker and hob but not all rings of hob and cooker at the same time " diversity".

Alternatively, run in another cooker supply to run all rings and cooker at the same time