MalwareBytes

steve_b_wales

Most programs have several versions, a couple paid versions and a free one!

You proberbly downloaded the paid version on a trieil pieriod.

Type in google malwharw bytes free and see what comes up

It was a 'free' version that I downloaded. I've just tried another link for the free version, and I've still got the 'your trial period has expired' message.

Has anyone got a link to a 'proper' free version?

Here’s the link to the eBay item if you want it for home

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251546423253&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

this is on offer for a few quid and covers 5pcs

Could be a good offer if 7 people wanted to share the cost and activation key code.

I'm in if anyone else wants it.

Here is the link to the free one, i have just tested it by doing an update and it works fine,the only thing you should look out for is when loading it into the computer you will get the usual pop up boxes asking where to put it etc, the last box has two tick options, the first option is to run a trial version of their security stuff UN TICK THIS BOX YOU DON'T NEED IT,this is what is probably popping up and asking you to pay for full version.

Once you have un ticked the first box carry on and load.

No need to pay for anything.

I use avast free version and have done since norton let a virus through about 10 years ago,had no problems since,except the odd pop up which malwares finds straight away.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Ignore it - you did what I did and never read each page as you downloaded it - there is a tick box to try the full version and you never unticked it. - either uninstall and reinstall and watch what it says or just carry on.

dave

It amazes me how everyone seems to want something for nothing these days. It's a good quality software product that does exactly what it says on the tin, so why shouldn't the developers be paid for their efforts? If people knew how much time and effort goes into developing and maintaining products like these they might think differently. If they're kind enough to let you try before you buy, why shouldn't they encourage you to part with a few quid? Paying to use a product like malwarebytes is a lot cheaper than getting someone out to clean up your PC after all!

Edited by MartynGT4

It amazes me how everyone seems to want something for nothing these days. It's a good quality software product that does exactly what it says on the tin, so why shouldn't the developers be paid for their efforts? If people knew how much time and effort goes into developing and maintaining products like these they might think differently. If they're kind enough to let you try before you buy, why shouldn't they encourage you to part with a few quid? Paying to use a product like malwarebytes is a lot cheaper than getting someone out to clean up your PC after all!

They offer the product as free,it is not a trial version it is a free version,and for most people it is perfectly adequate for their everyday use.

And nothing is free per se no doubt they mine information from your computer when you update,so they are getting something for their free product.

They offer the product as free,it is not a trial version it is a free version,and for most people it is perfectly adequate for their everyday use.

And nothing is free per se no doubt they mine information from your computer when you update,so they are getting something for their free product.

And why do you think a business would offer a free version? The key word here is 'business', they are in it to make a profit and why shouldn't they? I'm sure the 'free' version is adequate for most people, but anyone with half a brain should realise that they only do so as a way to advertise the full product. It really shouldn't be a surprise that these offers are limited either in functionality, time of availability or both.

As for the comment about mining your PC for information, sorry but you're being paranoid and are WAY off the mark with that one. Do you really think the IT security community wouldn't have noticed such behaviour, given that products like these are recommended by security experts on a daily basis? Malwarebytes has been the 'go to' malware removal tool of choice for years mate. If they were to attempt something so mindlessly stupid as information harvesting for profit, what do you think the result would be if such behaviour was discovered? For any business, the reputation risk would be immense and considerably more so for a reputable IT security business!

And why do you think a business would offer a free version? The key word here is 'business', they are in it to make a profit and why shouldn't they? I'm sure the 'free' version is adequate for most people, but anyone with half a brain should realise that they only do so as a way to advertise the full product. It really shouldn't be a surprise that these offers are limited either in functionality, time of availability or both.

As for the comment about mining your PC for information, sorry but you're being paranoid and are WAY off the mark with that one. Do you really think the IT security community wouldn't have noticed such behaviour, given that products like these are recommended by security experts on a daily basis? Malwarebytes has been the 'go to' malware removal tool of choice for years mate. If they were to attempt something so mindlessly stupid as information harvesting for profit, what do you think the result would be if such behaviour was discovered? For any business, the reputation risk would be immense and considerably more so for a reputable IT security business!

They offer a free version because it is good for business and a percentage will move up to the full version.they also use the free version as a testing bed gathering data to improve future releases.

As for your last paragraph,have you ever read the terms and conditions of anything you load into your computer,here is paragraph 6,in which they state they will take information from your computer,including what software you are using ,what operating conditions it runs under,and data concerning your geographical location.

I stand by my statement they are mining information from your computer.

6. Privacy Policy. By entering into this Agreement you agree to the terms of Malwarebytes' privacy policy, which can be found at www.malwarebytes.org (the "Privacy Policy"). More information concerning what data is tracked by Malwarebytes and how it is used is available in the Privacy Policy. Specifically, you agree that Malwarebytes may track certain information it obtains from your computer including data about any malicious software or other threats flagged by the Software, data about your license, data about what version of the Software you are using and what operating conditions it runs under and data concerning your geographic location. Malwarebytes will not track any personal information about your computer other than data which is specifically related to operation of the Software. Geographic data collected by Malwarebytes tracks country and region, but will not obtain data about your specific address.

And the full privacy policy, in which they take information such as the last web page you were on before you visited theirs

http://www.malwarebytes.org/privacy/

They offer a free version because it is good for business and a percentage will move up to the full version.they also use the free version as a testing bed gathering data to improve future releases.

As for your last paragraph,have you ever read the terms and conditions of anything you load into your computer,here is paragraph 6,in which they state they will take information from your computer,including what software you are using ,what operating conditions it runs under,and data concerning your geographical location.

I stand by my statement they are mining information from your computer.

6. Privacy Policy. By entering into this Agreement you agree to the terms of Malwarebytes' privacy policy, which can be found at www.malwarebytes.org (the "Privacy Policy"). More information concerning what data is tracked by Malwarebytes and how it is used is available in the Privacy Policy. Specifically, you agree that Malwarebytes may track certain information it obtains from your computer including data about any malicious software or other threats flagged by the Software, data about your license, data about what version of the Software you are using and what operating conditions it runs under and data concerning your geographic location. Malwarebytes will not track any personal information about your computer other than data which is specifically related to operation of the Software. Geographic data collected by Malwarebytes tracks country and region, but will not obtain data about your specific address.

And the full privacy policy, in which they take information such as the last web page you were on before you visited theirs

http://www.malwarebytes.org/privacy/

That's exactly what I was saying, it's a mechanism to attract paying customers. All I'm saying is if a commercial software product is good and they wish to use it, then people should be prepared to pay, or not be surprised when they're given a time limited free lunch. If everyone expected all software to be free how long would it be before products like malwarebytes disappeared? I've been developing commercial software for a great many years and understandably I expect to be paid for my efforts as I suspect you do for the work that you do. Having said that, I've also spend many years developing and contributing to open source software projects because I feel they are worthwhile, enjoyable and the projects I contribute to benefit the wider community. But as much as I'd like to I can't make a decent living developing 'free' software.. So when I see people getting uptight about having to pay for commercial software, I'd hope you can understand why those comments can be somewhat frustrating to someone like myself.

As for privacy statements, yes I have, I actively do and I've had a hand in writing them.

They're quite open about the information they're capturing and it's information they will be using to improve the product and the way in which it is marketed, what's wrong with that? The point I was trying to make, and perhaps I wasn't being clear in my earlier comment, was that they won't be mining your PC for personal information to sell on. You're comment was likely to be interpreted as a suggestion they were mining your PC for anything they could get their hands on to offset the cost of providing free software and that's not the case. I understand that is not the case and so may you, but a third party reading your comment might come to the conclusion that they were doing something quite nefarious and likely illegal. I also stand by my statement that companies selling IT security software are not likely to be stealing information about you and selling it on for a profit, any short term gains would be heavily outweighed by the risk such behaviour would have on their reputation.

That's exactly what I was saying, it's a mechanism to attract paying customers. All I'm saying is if a commercial software product is good and they wish to use it, then people should be prepared to pay, or not be surprised when they're given a time limited free lunch. If everyone expected all software to be free how long would it be before products like malwarebytes disappeared? I've been developing commercial software for a great many years and understandably I expect to be paid for my efforts as I suspect you do for the work that you do. Having said that, I've also spend many years developing and contributing to open source software projects because I feel they are worthwhile, enjoyable and the projects I contribute to benefit the wider community. But as much as I'd like to I can't make a decent living developing 'free' software.. So when I see people getting uptight about having to pay for commercial software, I'd hope you can understand why those comments can be somewhat frustrating to someone like myself.

As for privacy statements, yes I have, I actively do and I've had a hand in writing them.

They're quite open about the information they're capturing and it's information they will be using to improve the product and the way in which it is marketed, what's wrong with that? The point I was trying to make, and perhaps I wasn't being clear in my earlier comment, was that they won't be mining your PC for personal information to sell on. You're comment was likely to be interpreted as a suggestion they were mining your PC for anything they could get their hands on to offset the cost of providing free software and that's not the case. I understand that is not the case and so may you, but a third party reading your comment might come to the conclusion that they were doing something quite nefarious and likely illegal. I also stand by my statement that companies selling IT security software are not likely to be stealing information about you and selling it on for a profit, any short term gains would be heavily outweighed by the risk such behaviour would have on their reputation.

I honestly don't know why you are getting so up tight about some free ware,all i said and i quote,

" And nothing is free per se no doubt they mine information from your computer when you update,so they are getting something for their free product."

I never mentioned them taking personal information and selling it on ,you did, i never mentioned them taking your data for profit,you did.

All i said is they give it to you for free and they take information, i also said,

"they also use the free version as a testing bed gathering data to improve future releases."

Again no mention of them doing anything illegal,just pointing out that they do take information.

You seem to be hot under the collar for no real reason,why argue that the product should be paid for when the company is happy to give a free version?if they didn't want to give a free version then they would stop offering it.

You seem to be going off track arguing for all software developers and that they should be paid.in this instance it is free, they do extract information as i said they did,so what is the argument?

I honestly don't know why you are getting so up tight about some free ware,all i said and i quote,

" And nothing is free per se no doubt they mine information from your computer when you update,so they are getting something for their free product."

I never mentioned them taking personal information and selling it on ,you did, i never mentioned them taking your data for profit,you did.

All i said is they give it to you for free and they take information, i also said,

"they also use the free version as a testing bed gathering data to improve future releases."

Again no mention of them doing anything illegal,just pointing out that they do take information.

You seem to be hot under the collar for no real reason,why argue that the product should be paid for when the company is happy to give a free version?if they didn't want to give a free version then they would stop offering it.

You seem to be going off track arguing for all software developers and that they should be paid.in this instance it is free, they do extract information as i said they did,so what is the argument?

I'm not hot under the collar, its just that some of the comments in the thread about being tricked, conned or pestered into buying the full product are a bit frustrating for someone in the industry that's all. My first comment in the thread was a general one and not targeted at you as such, you replied and it went off from there a bit but its nothing personal.

The comment you made about them getting something out of it by mining information probably touched a bit of a nerve because 'mining for information' has quite negative connotations for someone in my field and yes I probably took it that way. I have to admit I didn't see your comment about using the software as a test bed and you're right up to a point. Part of the strength of a product like this comes from the breadth of it's user base and the information it can gather about the malware it detects, where it is detected and in which environment. A degree of the scanning these products performs is heuristic in nature, in other words they look for patterns of behaviour rather than specific data signatures. This type of scanning helps with so called zero day malware or those that haven't been live in the field for long enough to be easily and reliably recognised. Capturing specific information about malware that has been detected in this matter helps them to detect it more reliably in future. Part of the reason their product is so good is because they've done an excellent job of detecting malware and developing effective ways of removing it, to get that good they've had to capture data so to mitigate the risk of litigation (which is often malicious in nature) they've covered themselves with a fairly wide reaching privacy policy. It makes sense for these companies to offer a free or introductory version both to increase their user base but also because it's a great way to advertise what your full product can do. If I'm honest, it does frustrate me when I see people, and not necessarily you, getting annoyed because these companies keep trying to up sell them to paid versions it does touch a nerve a bit. That's just a natural reaction because without paying customers the developers behind these great products will be out of a job.

Sorry if I came across a bit hot under the collar, I'm just passionate about good quality software and seeing the people responsible getting the recognition and reward they deserve.. all the best

I have been a long time user and promoter of Malwarebytes, however the latest Premium version is causing me problems.

When attempting a scan, or update, it crashes my PC.

Checking the Mawarebytes Forum, I am not the only one.

Their Tech Dept wants me to change most of my PC settings , uninstall some programmes, download various software to cleanse my PC and scan it to produce three separate logs for them to study.

Not being a technician, I am reluctant to do any of these things and don't see why I should have all the hassle.

They should provide something that works efficiently.

Having looked around, I will probably be installing Emsisoft.

I have been a long time user and promoter of Malwarebytes, however the latest Premium version is causing me problems.

When attempting a scan, or update, it crashes my PC.

Checking the Mawarebytes Forum, I am not the only one.

Their Tech Dept wants me to change most of my PC settings , uninstall some programmes, download various software to cleanse my PC and scan it to produce three separate logs for them to study.

Not being a technician, I am reluctant to do any of these things and don't see why I should have all the hassle.

They should provide something that works efficiently.

Having looked around, I will probably be installing Emsisoft.

I can understand you're frustration but to be fair to them they're probably just as frustrated about it as you are. They've asking you to do those things and provide those logs to help them understand the cause of the issue so that they can get it resolved for everyone. Half the battle of resolving a software problem is getting to a stage where you can recreate it reliably and intermittent or edge case issues that affect a small number relative to the user base are the worst. They perform a huge amount of testing before releasing their products but it's impossible to recreate every possible scenario or PC configuration (software, settings, hardware, drivers etc). They do a good job but every now and then there will be something that trips them up, it's the same with pretty much every software product ever produced and especially so with software of this nature.

Having said that, some small compensation or other sweetener probably would have been a nice touch, from a customer service perspective at least. If you're speaking to the right people, and it sounds like you might, they'll be more focused on solving the technical issue than keeping you sweet... A follow up call once the issue has been resolved would normally put that right though.

Edited by MartynGT4