Which HPR?

Eddie57

I'm will be looking to acquire a new dog in around 9 to 12 months time. The dog will be used for rough shooting and falconry, with the aim being to have the dog pretty much up to speed before getting a bop. I currently have a HPR who is great, however by next year will be 11 years old and getting on a bit. I have read some articles and watched the usual you tube clips, but was looking for some advice from people who actually own a suitable breed, rather than some of the sales pitches being advertised on the dog sites.

Brittany spaniel.mine started his life working with hawks,but is just used for rough shooting,a great nose for pheasant and woodcock,and loves to be out with the guns,downside,can be very head strong,but they are soft and don't like to be punished,great companion,mine will never win a field trial,but he does a good job in the field or in a hide.

look more to the breeder than the breed. Look more to the training than the hype. If / when I do it again I should go for a proper pointer than another HPR as they are the best at what they do and have been very little spoiled for this task by muti tasking and silly breeding, the only thing you might suffer on is the retrieve though I am no falconer I thought a retrieving pointer was a bad thing more than a good thing when you have a BOP? Not that you cant get a pointer to retrieve with training

If it was for a Rabbiting hawk, then its got to be difficult to better an ESS or Cocker surely? A pointer is real about range and speed over larger areas. I could work my GWP for rabbits etc in woodland and hedgerow but it was hard work keeping him in range (but then again a long range spaniel is about as much use for the gun as a chocolate tea pot)

Perhaps take some advice of falconers about when to get the dog, I thought they liked to raise the dog from a puppy with the bird? I sure as heck wouldn't want to see any issues over ownership, especially if the dog was already experienced with the gun

Sorry if I sound a little negative but I don't see any HPR per breed as a multi tasker in one dog, if they lived into their 40's then it might be different. mine was great at deer and so,so at all other things but I will never again make the mistake of owning such a hard natured dog of that size for that work

An ESS or Cocker as Kent has said will do the job very well for you,

Dont get a Brittany spaniel for Gods sake, one or two I have seen have been OK, and I mean just OK, but the good ones are few and far be-tween.

I have been out on many field meets with Brittany's and have yet to see one I would like to own, so you cant put it down just the training.

​You cant see them if they go on point in long cover,they range like an English pointer, they are normally undershot.

I could go on listing their faults but don't have an hr spare to write them all down.

I think you can take it I really don't like Brittany's :lol:

An ESS or Cocker as Kent has said will do the job very well for you,

Dont get a Brittany spaniel for Gods sake, one or two I have seen have been OK, and I mean just OK, but the good ones are few and far be-tween.

I have been out on many field meets with Brittany's and have yet to see one I would like to own, so you cant put it down just the training.

​You cant see them if they go on point in long cover,they range like an English pointer, they are normally undershot.

I could go on listing their faults but don't have an hr spare to write them all down.

I think you can take it I really don't like Brittany's :lol:

I am lead to believe that the Yanks have some good Brits, though that might be down to talk (well lets be fair they are well known for their over positivity at times as a Nation :lol: ) rather than substance after having never shot over or seen one of thiers. I do concur your thoughts on UK ones, I know one of the top UK based HPR trainers has had little joy with them