Scope Dilema

Help needed. I have 2 cz 452 rifles, 1 .22 and 1 .17hmr. On my .22 I have a Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x50 and it suits me. I am going to buy the same model of scope for .17 0r the 6-24x50 model. Question is should I stick with a 4-16x50 model or go for the other one? Also which scope suits which rifle? Cheers guys.

I have a 32x Nikon on my HMR and it is excellent for head shooting rabbits at 100 yards or so or for targets at 150 yards. I would not buy it again though. It has ED glass but even so, the image quality and above all the brightness, starts to fall off quite a bit at 32x.

With hind sight 24x is just right for me as I do like to really focus in on the target with longer range shots, sniper fashion, and as SuperSpark says, you can always zoom out.

Something I would never be without is side parallax adjustment. In the field my arms are not long enough to comfortably focus the far end of a scope.

I have two scopes with illuminated central dots. They seemed like a good idea but it is too easy to leave them on and get a flat battery and the illumination is more novelty value than real necessity. I would not bother with that feature again. I do want clarity and maximum light gathering, a fine mil dot reticule, if possible with a clear central section so the hairs do not obscure a small target, and large easy to use turret adjustment with positive click stops that really do return to zero accurately.

When I started out shooting I was told to spend more on glass than on the rifle. How true that was. I learned the hard way. The real test is when you are shooting towards a setting sun and the rabbits are in the shadow of a hedge. Any scope will perform well in bright conditions.