Brancaster

scolopax

Bob/double four, I have looked at our Thornham permits for the last two seasons and mostly I would say that members shooting Thornham are some of our most experienced, several of them being members of a few different clubs. I guess it's possible they all go crazy at the first sound of a pink, but somehow I doubt it. Just a small point Bob, you say nobody minds members taking day tickets, just join BASC and good luck. I don't think Thornham allowed any, please correct that statement if I'm wrong.

No, I'm pretty sure that's correct, no day tickets, the marsh was very lightly shot, it's a reasonable point.

I could not possibly comment about Shergar as it is confidential. When it is suitable there will be a press release....

Good one mate, it's sending me to bed with a smile.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DNT. Trust me last season I tried my very best to stop high shooting at Pinks on another Marsh all I got was disbelievers some even claiming I was jealous. Anybody that knows me that's rubbish. I am not into stirring things for the fun of it.i have been to Thornham car park I've spoke to shooters to obtain information only to be it's locals there gone or your not a member it's nothing to do you. IMHO if a Warden was to spend more time there especially over a period of the Moon I'm sure the Warden would find some interesting facts. I myself don't care a hoots where in the country people come from I along with some locals will and have got a constant eye out for vehicles etc twice last season I was told by the Police that vehicle discipion is not enough. No matter how much myself or others try to enlighten you about unless you start believing us and you do something about it nothing will change. And I will not hesitate to report or name the offender's But then again nobody in a bit of trouble gives a false name or push the blame do they !!!!!!

I could not possibly comment about Shergar as it is confidential. When it is suitable there will be a press release....

Lovely ole job Big Mat............typical Norfolk humour .........That will show the Kent boys they wont get information from you that easy... :good:

Also DNT your statement about checking your tickets that they have been used by experienced Fowlers well here a 100% True fact for you FOUR of your members using those Tickets had NEVER shot Pink in England let alone a English Foreshore till they met me

I have never shot a Pink in 40 years of wildfowling or a White Front does that make me inexperienced.

As DNT posted if you give him the details of the dates that these things happened KWCA can tell from the permits who was there and take action.

DNT you have tried your hardest to explain that Thornham was all ready lost before KWCA bid on it and that you can not comment on other issues so I would give up if I was you, but well done and thank you for your posts.

Oh and Shergar is buried next to the submarine on Tudor Farm marsh sadly died last year :unsure:

Speaking as someone that has never taken part in Wildfowling I have read this topic with amazement,

I never knew there was so much passion for it,

I am 99% a clay shooter and like to think I am passionate about that,

I know a lot of game shooters/stalkers but still haven't seen the passion displayed in this topic.

Fair play to all of you but take heed,

As an outsider looking in, it does the shooting family no favours seeing all the infighting although I can see where some of you are coming from.

Sadly thereare bad sportsmen in all forms of shooting

Good luck however it turns out

:shaun:

I find it hard to believe the amount of dodging this thread has caused by Kent Wildfowlers as the title is "Not" Thornham its "BRANCASTER" with a capital B and the main question that you are dodging was can you tell the wildfowling fraternity that you are so willing to preach to about saving wildfowling to was.

Why are kent wildfowlers trying to register a I/4 share of a single right on the common rights register masquerading as a charity instead of going up front as Kent wildfowlers ??? seems very devious act by the so called super club with obvious and which could be seen as un ethical ties With BASC's chairman

I find it hard to believe the amount of dodging this thread has caused by Kent Wildfowlers as the title is "Not" Thornham its "BRANCASTER" with a capital B and the main question that you are dodging was can you tell the wildfowling fraternity that you are so willing to preach to about saving wildfowling to was.

Why are kent wildfowlers trying to register a I/4 share of a single right on the common rights register masquerading as a charity instead of going up front as Kent wildfowlers ??? seems very devious act by the so called super club with obvious and which could be seen as un ethical ties With BASC's chairman

We have not got a hope in hell of being told the reason Bob, we are just going to get told it is "confidential" and that there will be a "press release"

You could be on it if you join..

It would feel disloyal, not a betrayal, that's taking things too far, but, I don't know, guilty somehow, does that sound silly? I can't quite express the feeling in words.

I'm not saying it's something I'd never do, I'm old and I want to shoot the marsh I shot with my Dad, so long ago and that's not silly at all.

It'll leave a bitter taste mate. However, arguing with Kent is a lot like arguing with the wife, it's seems the right thing to do, but you know you've lost before you start, lol.

Press release

Old farrier shoes Shergard

Ready for bigmatt to race across marsh

That's as true as half this thread

All the best

Of

I once saw a bloke racing across the marsh, in a frenzied and doomed attempt to get under the flight line of the pinks, was well funny.

Was that you Big Matt? If so, no offence mate, but you were rubbish at it.

Didn't notice a horse.......think I would've done.

I once saw a bloke racing across the marsh, in a frenzied and doomed attempt to get under the flight line of the pinks, was well funny.

Fraid not Bob, if they pinks won't come to me then i am not moving from the comfort of my muddy creek, i am just too lazy :lol:

Matt would be too busy in his cake tin

The interest is simple bigdev. Some local guys have some shooting and Kent WA is trying to muscle in on it. I suspect this is yet another move to expand their empire. I doubt it they will be happy until they have all the wildfowling in the country sewn up.

It would feel disloyal, not a betrayal, that's taking things too far, but, I don't know, guilty somehow, does that sound silly? I can't quite express the feeling in words.

I'm not saying it's something I'd never do, I'm old and I want to shoot the marsh I shot with my Dad, so long ago and that's not silly at all.

It'll leave a bitter taste mate. However, arguing with Kent is a lot like arguing with the wife, it's seems the right thing to do, but you know you've lost before you start, lol.

Totally understand you feelings towards the whole thing. At least the option is there if you ever decided to join.

Yes there are a few from outside the county who share the shooting , they own common rights in the parish ( usualy second homes ) but the majority of Brancaster wildfowlers live close by. I live 18 miles away and it would be nice to shoot there , but its not my shooting and there is no way I would think about trying to muscle in on the shooting ground of others though I have been invited a couple of times, offers that i have not taken up.

Edited by anser2

Robert I can remember being with you and seeing those two small Skeins of Pinks in Sandy Land the first of many thousands to follow over the years I also witnessed it at Brancaster But a very sad fact that many on WON'T or DON'T understand is we both have witnessed the sad loss of Pinkfeet numbers do to over shooting. Chin up where there Clubs who control what there got and with respect The Norfolk sky will still be filled with a few Pinks that True Wildfowlers can enjoy. Have a good season Robert and hope you bag the odd Pink or two. I think it's time to we are BOTH wasting our time and effort on here trying to educate to the truth

Well stalkerboydy, whilst you and answer2 are busy trying to tell the truth I've been doing some research, so let's examine the real truth about Brancaster, Common Rights and CL65.

Some quite remarkable research from the Commons Register for CL65.

Rights in Common/Common Rights were designed to allow 'locals' to take advantage of the fruits of the shore close by the villages and hamlets in which they lived. For the purposes of CL65 from early entries in the Register this seems to means those living in Brancaster and the Burhams and the villages very close by. It is interesting to see how this definition of 'local' has spread - no doubt for reasons of convenience - to Heacham, Wells, Cley, Fakenham, Snettisham, West Winch etc. Those sort of villages do not seem to me to be very 'local' to CL65.

However to put the complaints into context the current Register reveals people living in the following: Kent, Nottinghamshire. Surrey. London, Suffolk, Leicestershire, Milton Keynes, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire. Bristol, Devon, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Essex, Doncaster, Cumbria and North Humberside. Oh! and not forgetting that good old 'local' to CL65 living in County Cork, Ireland!

This makes Anser2's comment that "yes there a few from outside the county who share the shooting.." frankly purile! All part of the paranoia against the KWCA. Anser2 tries to adopt some sort of moral high ground by saying he would not muscle in others' shooting, when we all know the real reason is because he is sitting pretty on cheap, exclusive shooting rights.

The truth is there are a finite number of Rights. No more will be created. Whether or not the KWCA would like some Rights on CL65, and I repeat I will not comment one way or another on that, any Rights can only be acquired by a transfer from one person to another. QED - the same number of Rights. How pray would that impact on any other interest. Tell the real truth, you jealously guard what you have to the exemption of all others and you attack anyone who dares to challenge that view. The CL65 and I suspect other commons registers clearly show the true extent of the rights spread. This hasn't happened over night nor is it something KWCA are responsible for. I have no idea if some of you were aware of these facts, but if you were, shame on you for peddling the view that KWCA are the villains. I say again we are in this for Wildfowling and the ability for new and old blood to find areas to shoot in or near their locality with or without your blessing. I and I know others are now even more determined to push at local and national level for change. For far too long the majority have been like a sleeping tiger, well we're going to wake them!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

This topic has again served to emphasise the folly of the parochial approach some wildfowling clubs have followed for many years and continue to follow to this day....no one can join these clubs or even shoot their marshes as they are exclusively available to a few locals club members only (effectively a cheap syndicate!!)..........it worked years ago when the local club got the land for "tuppence ha'penny" but money talks nowadays and these parochial clubs will go under unless they adapt!

I say to them, open up membership and the shooting to other wildfowlers outwith your area...... more members = more revenue = more ability to hold or compete for your shooting land, alternatively best enjoy it while you can, because I predict it wont last much longer! Kent or the RSPB or someone else (another syndicate with more money?!) will buy it from under you.

It makes me smile when someone bleats that an open club like KWA are greedy!.....these parochial, closed clubs have been greedy and selfish for years!

MultiQuote

Thought this might be worth re-posting!

P1

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:51 PMThis topic has again served to emphasise the folly of the parochial approach some wildfowling clubs have followed for many years and continue to follow to this day....no one can join these clubs or even shoot their marshes as they are exclusively available to a few locals club members only (effectively a cheap syndicate!!)..........it worked years ago when the local club got the land for "tuppence ha'penny" but money talks nowadays and these parochial clubs will go under unless they adapt!I say to them, open up membership and the shooting to other wildfowlers outwith your area...... more members = more revenue = more ability to hold or compete for your shooting land, alternatively best enjoy it while you can, because I predict it wont last much longer! Kent or the RSPB or someone else (another syndicate with more money?!) will buy it from under you.It makes me smile when someone bleats that an open club like KWA are greedy!.....these parochial, closed clubs have been greedy and selfish for years!QuoteMultiQuoteThought this might be worth re-posting!P1

Absolutely right panoma1, but don't forget the local shooting is not quite as local as some would have us believe, although still pretty exclusive I might add.

Dnt I bought common rights 10 years ago on cl 65 and yes you are right I along with others out of the area bought that right at great personal expence to fowl there as as an outsider from Yorkshire.

I wasn't able to join a parochial club there as they wouldn't let me but I didn't moan about it like panorama paul or anyone else I dug deep for the right to do it as an "individual", I have no issue with anyone buying "a or a share of a common right and good luck to them but not a large club masquerading as some kind of charity through some loophole on I/4 share of a right it just doesn't sit well with me.

"True Wildfowlers..."

I was born and raised in North London, with no family or geographical links to wildfowling, but due to some seditious and corrupting material I read in the 1980's by one Mr. A. Jarrett I set myself the task of one day finding out what coastal wildfowling might have on offer for me.

Without the opportunities that free and open membership of KWCA afforded me as an ordinary oik,, there's no way I would have experienced the rich and varied 'fowling experiences I have since enjoyed (not to mention rough shooting, pigeon shooting and more).

I have been privy to see first hand some of the extreme effort and determined hard work that goes into preserving wildfowling FOR ALL by KWCA members and officials, and the sheer hypocrisy of some of these elitist self-proclaimed "True Wildfowlers" is truly staggering.

"True Wildfowlers..."

I was born and raised in North London, with no family or geographical links to wildfowling, but due to some seditious and corrupting material I read in the 1980's by one Mr. A. Jarrett.

He's still at it Diabolo.

double four. Thank you for clearing up the point over location. To be fair you did disclose your ownership in a much earlier post, although I did at that time think you were local. I take your point on payment, which I am sure was considerable, but that only serves to back my point of 'what shooting costs'. But for the sake of argument, let us for a moment imagine that you as a young man did not have the funds to purchase a full right, but you and three other like minded mates could afford a quarter share each. Would that have been ok? There would be no real difference to the shooting pressure, and you could all have had a go on the marsh albeit not as many times as one, or all together obviously.