Complaint from neighbours about dogs.

deeksofdoom

Baxooka nd Richie thanks for your replies.

I could spend a fortune on get cameras put in and anti bark collars, but I have spoken to the neighbours on either side of me and they have said that they have no problems with the dogs and don't hear them barking. I don't hear them barking I sleep at the back of the house right over the runs and if they were barking during the night I'ld be down to them in a shot. I know in my haeart and soul that the dogs aren't causing a problem.

Stopping the dogs from barking completely is not going to happen, its kind of like stopping them from ********. Thats just concentration camp for dogs stuff.

I've been checking out the laws and basically there is nothing that these neighbours can do to me, even if the dogs were barking incessantly. If the ISPCA call to check on the welffare of the dogs, then I'll just get a clean bill of health from them. They will only remove animals if they are being neglected. I would a welcome a visit from them.

Its getting to the stage where dog owners like myself are constantly being discriminated against, I live beside a big beach but I can't bring the dogs to the beach anymore because of all the bye laws about keeping them on leads, picking up after them etc.. its just not worth the hassel of some day tripper from the city giving out to you for having the dogs in the water for a swim. I have to bring them off out the countryside instead. It would nearly put you off owning a dog.

On a side note, a few of the houses below me are rented. There have been anti social tenents in them on a few occasions. I've went out to ****ers roaring drunk on my own at night to tell them to shut the **** up. I didn't have any back up from any of these neighbours, I've sorted out more problems with noisy neighbours in this neighbourhood then they ever have.

I own dogs. If they caused a neighbor a problem through barking or anything else anti social then it would be identified first of all and then sorted. What has discrimination got to do with it? Good luck to you anyway. Sounds like you don't have a problem after all.

True, but life goes on around them. That means people building or drilling each day, kids making noise. This plan to stop them making noise is what exactly? Stop having a cleaner is one. What else? Come home from work to be there? Your solution is to get rid, maybe the women loves the dogs and doesn't want to get rid.

We have a neighbour who is deaf and he listens to his tv late at night, we just ignore it, get on with things. He enjoys his TV why take that away from him?

Be honest with yourself mate. Do people dill and build every day of your life where you live? You know even if building or drilling is taking place, at some point in the near future it will end. Kids? People reason with kids, decent parents will make sure their kids are not causing too much trouble, the noise from a few kids in the street is nothing like the repetitive annoyance of a dog or dogs, barking. Barking that will likely last the life of the dogs life if the early signs and triggers were ignored. Dogs barking is not like dogs ****ting. Dogs do not need to bark and will do so only when they are distressed, aggressive, anxious, excited, etc. If they are either of these, that problem needs to be nipped in the bud before it's gone too far.

As you have basically listed all the possible states a dog can be in, minus asleep. Let us know how you stop a dog barking.

I don't have a problem with the neighbours anymore I stopped mine, I am sure they still bark on occassions, but I haven't muted mine as you have yours.

Tell you the truth, I wouldn't want mine to be mute, where I live everyone has home security because of the amount of people entering houses. I have had someone try to get into the garage. If my dogs were mute like yours, then I would be minus some items I have worked hard to pay for.

How about you being honest, how do you know yours don't bark unless you have someone there constantly, which is a deterent to stop dogs making noise anyway. Not everyone can be at home all the time.

Also why don't you offer some advise to how you 'nip it in the bud' to the OP?

Hide from them, let them kick off, spray them with a hose and give them a stern "No".

Noise is the one thing I will not tolerate in the kennel, I don't need a guard dog.

I will do this when they are pups if they persist in making a noise, they soon learn and if it wasn't for the fact they see me out with the dogs the neighbours wouldn't even know I had them.

Admittedly such an approach may not work where barking is an engrained behaviour in an older dog.

Each to their own.

As you have basically listed all the possible states a dog can be in, minus asleep. Let us know how you stop a dog barking.

I don't have a problem with the neighbours anymore I stopped mine, I am sure they still bark on occassions, but I haven't muted mine as you have yours.

Tell you the truth, I wouldn't want mine to be mute, where I live everyone has home security because of the amount of people entering houses. I have had someone try to get into the garage. If my dogs were mute like yours, then I would be minus some items I have worked hard to pay for.

How about you being honest, how do you know yours don't bark unless you have someone there constantly, which is a deterent to stop dogs making noise anyway. Not everyone can be at home all the time.

Also why don't you offer some advise to how you 'nip it in the bud' to the OP?

No 1- Mine have never had to be 'muted' as adults. From pups, any sign of noise is met with a clear sign that noise is not welcome. One thing I think we have been lucky with is a totally quiet oldest dog that has then displayed to others how to get what he wants without making a fuss. He's a quiet dog at all times but I had some good advice a long time ago from an experienced bloke. He said "from day one never greet and make a fuss of the dog on your first contact with it. Don't even look at it. Walk quietly to the kennel after pottering around for a bit and quietly, with no fuss, slide the bolt open and quietly let the dog out. Do not get down to it's level and start buttering it up and exciting it otherwise it's excitement will build with every moment in the kennel awaiting your return and it will spill over resulting in noises or barks." Now, I followed that, whether it's been luck or a bit of both, we stuck by that rule and it served us very well. The dogs expect nothing when they see anyone in the garden, around the kennels, at the house. They expect nothing and get nothing and their food times change every few days but they are fed well after being let out of their kennels. But they know that on first contact/sight of anyone, nothing happens, no excitement, no food, not a thing.

2- If you don't want yours mute that's great for you. I want mine totally mute. I didn't buy dogs to be guard dogs I bought them to be quiet gun dogs.

3- The Op did not ask for that advise. He asked what would someone do if a neighbor complained about a dog but the dog was not making a noise.

Do ur dogs never even bark at a stranger in the garden?

All mine would and they are quiet as church mice rest of the time, well until i got my GWP have tried everything with him and while he is not bad infact pretty quiet for the breed he is still noisier than i would expect a normal gundog. I have found water balloons handier than a hose but it's just the way my garden/kennels are

I think i would be intro'ing ur cleaner to the dogs let her give them some feed some day u are there or atleast get them used to her voice and let her know the command for 'quiet' . My dogs very occasionally bark if a neighbour goes into there garden but they just give them a shout and the dogs are fine again as they know her voice (and to be fair she often goes right up to the hedge to see the dogs when they start to bark)

If u have a problem, first make sure it is ur dogs, i was getting accused a couple of years ago but it was actually dogs behind my garden, was a few times i was out to b *llock my dogs when it turned out to be different dogs

A bark collar would be the very last resort possibly give them all a meaty bone or frozen kong so they have something to chew on through the day

Do ur dogs never even bark at a stranger in the garden?

No. Never. I only have one that I've actually heard bark ever and it was linked to fear. Once the dog had been totally conditioned and immersed in the thing causing the fear she was fine. It happened when she was young but it was a bark lasting seconds. Honestly speaking, I would not keep a dog that made a noise, either whining or barking at home or when working and I certainly would not encourage it. So if it were me with the problem I'd try one or two things to sort it but wouldn't waste too long on it for fear of it upsetting the other dogs as well as my neighbors...who, by the way, were told from the off, if you hear the slightest noise, please tell me, please don't worry about upsetting me, I need to know if the dogs make any noise, and quickly, so a solution can be found before the behavior is ingrained. So it would never be uncomfortable for them to approach me and mention a bark or whining etc. They fully understand that I would want to know ASAP and I would not see it as a complaint, just them trying to help. Luckily, every time I ask them to make sure all is well when the dogs are left on their own they say you wouldn't know there were dogs here.

A well known method in dog psychology circles. The most recent ex is a dog walker and behaviourist.

No 1- Mine have never had to be 'muted' as adults. From pups, any sign of noise is met with a clear sign that noise is not welcome. One thing I think we have been lucky with is a totally quiet oldest dog that has then displayed to others how to get what he wants without making a fuss. He's a quiet dog at all times but I had some good advice a long time ago from an experienced bloke. He said "from day one never greet and make a fuss of the dog on your first contact with it. Don't even look at it. Walk quietly to the kennel after pottering around for a bit and quietly, with no fuss, slide the bolt open and quietly let the dog out. Do not get down to it's level and start buttering it up and exciting it otherwise it's excitement will build with every moment in the kennel awaiting your return and it will spill over resulting in noises or barks." Now, I followed that, whether it's been luck or a bit of both, we stuck by that rule and it served us very well. The dogs expect nothing when they see anyone in the garden, around the kennels, at the house. They expect nothing and get nothing and their food times change every few days but they are fed well after being let out of their kennels. But they know that on first contact/sight of anyone, nothing happens, no excitement, no food, not a thing.

2- If you don't want yours mute that's great for you. I want mine totally mute. I didn't buy dogs to be guard dogs I bought them to be quiet gun dogs.

3- The Op did not ask for that advise. He asked what would someone do if a neighbor complained about a dog but the dog was not making a noise.

Well I have a new twist to the situation this morning, I was sitting down to watch some telly last night around 10pm when I heard one of the dogs bark. I looked out at the run and all 3 dogs were standing on their hind legs looking into the neighbours. Over the wall, then I saw a stone or something fly in and hit the chainlink fence it hit the pup because she howled and the dogs started properly giving out then. I didn't see his head over the back wall but I'm sure he was there.

I'm going to have to pay close attention now to this ****** to watch his comings and goings and see what he is actually doing to antagonise the dogs, if I could catch him red handed it would be great.

Edited by deeksofdoom

Why don't you first of all find out if the dogs are making a noise ? If they are, put a plan in place to sort it. If they're not being noisy then just let the lady get on with whatever it is she has threatened to do. Invite local authorities to your kennels / home to do an assessment. After that forget about it and get on with life.

If they are barking I would strongly advise you put a reliable plan in place to wipe the problem out. Ten years ago I lived next door to a noisy dog. it was an hour at a time now and again and not every day because the owner occasionally took the dog to work with him but I can tell you now, if you are a quiet living person living next door or near to a noisy dog, it's very unpleasant. Sickening in fact. It's something I would not tolerate from my own. They could be the best working dogs in the world but if they made any noise in and around my garden or in the kennels I would be getting rid. You have to be honest with yourself though.

You are correct it is "sickening" I had it with a neighbours dog many years back and I actually thought I was going to upchuck, something I am very rarely prone to. They were rarely in till late evening and both held "prominent" jobs. The problem got fixed but they ignored all contact from me (all polite), in the end they were both involved with politics and I got word passed down from above (only then did they respond and act).

It even stressed my own out though she remained silent, I felt for the dog itself it obviously was not barking out of malice but from neglect

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the others above I've got two very quiet dogs. But an old neighbour had a yapping westie and it barked for hours and it nearly drove me nuts with frustration and anger. If they are barking the intended don't see its fair on others around you to have your noise inflicted on them.

Edited by andypaint