Dog or bitch

terrior

Most people will say dog, purely from a working point of view as they are not likely to come in season during the game season.

It is personal preference really, I have both here and there is no discernible difference between them. Some people say bitches mature faster etc..... Wish someone would tell my pup lol.

If it's purely for working I would get a dog as he will be able to work all year round.

I always had bitches really until my last two for which I chose dogs, previous to this I had only one male dog (a mental terrier). Bitches are not just inconvenient when they are in season they tend to be a bit loopy either side of it in my own experience. There is however certainly something different in the bond between a male handler and a bitch and a female handler and a dog, I think its almost like a more non competitive partnership? My dogs have certainly been more protective and gentle with my wife and daughters, were a few of my bitches used to compete.

At the end of the day though my preference is for dogs as they are stronger and more able to cope with the demands I have of them at work and do not need inconvenient breaks from the field ( I know some don't care about this but I feel it risks infection and distracts every entire dog present from its work and as such is poor form)

Choose whatever suits you but don't use the breeding argument for succession as if a dog is really worth it you should have people asking to use your male and the fee can always be a pup. To much rubbish is bred as is

As above regards coming into season but if your not going to breed her then get her spayed.

Bitches tend to be smaller more even tempered (especially around other dogs)and grow up quicker, they can form stronger bonds with you and tend to be more honest and willing to please.

I'm having my first Springer bitch after having dogs,I've seem some bitches that are just as hard going in cover as dogs if not better.

Pick a good breeder

Taken from a trainer's website:

CHOICE BETWEEN DOGS OR BITCHES

In some ways, choosing between male and female dogs is a matter of personal preference. However, there are some characteristics which are common in bitches and other characteristics which are common in male dogs. It is important to evaluate these characteristics and determine which sex would fit in best with your home situation. Additionally, choosing between male and female dogs is important if you already have another bitch or male dog and are choosing an additional dog. This article will list a few characteristics of bitches, a few characteristics of male dogs, and how to choose between male and female dogs when considering a second or third dog.

The following characteristics often apply to bitches:

Independent - Bitches tend to want to be in control of the entire situation. They may come to their owner when they are seeking affection but will often move away when they have had enough.

Stubborn - In many packs, a bitch is typically the Alpha. Female dogs crave more control of situations and are quick to respond to perceived challenges with fierceness.

Territorial - Female dogs mark in the same way male dogs do. A spayed female may continue to mark for her entire lifetime regardless of when she is spayed while most males will cease marking behaviors shortly after they are neutered and the testosterone levels subside.

Reserved - Bitches are generally less affectionate and friendly than male dogs. This characteristic is noticeable in puppies and becomes more pronounced with age.

Changes in Mood or Behavior - It is also important to note that if you do not spay your bitch, she will come into heat at approximately one year of age and approximately every six months thereafter. During this time, there will be some bleeding as well as a change in mood or behavior.

The following characteristics often apply to male dogs:

Affectionate - Male dogs are typically more affectionate than bitches. They tend to crave attention from their owners more than bitches and as a result, display more affectionate behaviors.

Exuberant - A male dog is also more likely to be fun-loving and outgoing throughout his lifetime than a bitch. While a bitch tends to become more reserved as she ages, a male dog maintains a more puppy-like exuberance throughout his lifetime.

Food-Motivated - Males are often very motivated by food. This food motivation can make training extremely easy as treats can be used to lure and reward a dog to display desired behaviors.

Attentive - While bitches tend to be more independent, males tend to be more focused on their human companions. They want to always be close to the human and are very eager to please.

Aggressive Behaviors - It is also important to note that intact males may display aggressive behaviors toward other males or exhibit marking behaviors. Additionally, intact males should be kept away from females in heat unless a breeding is planned.

As above regards coming into season but if your not going to breed her then get her spayed.

Bitches tend to be smaller more even tempered (especially around other dogs)and grow up quicker, they can form stronger bonds with you and tend to be more honest and willing to please.

I'm having my first Springer bitch after having dogs,I've seem some bitches that are just as hard going in cover as dogs if not better.

Pick a good breeder

Spot on....................................

It really is personal preference, breeding and the characteristics of the sire and dam will do far more to determine the nature of the dog you end up with than it's sex.

Personally I prefer dogs as I don't want to put a bitch through a major operation and GA just for my convenience and bitches in season are a PITA. If you only have one working dog, get a dog would be my advice.