Mackerel are go

rich1985

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody no if they are being caught in lyme bay Dorset yet ,off down that way the weekend ,going to seatown. chideock.

if the water is clear enough, depends on wind there as the jurasic coast puts load of mud in the water.... I had some at Budleigh - just along the coast- the other week.

I'm down there for two weeks starting on the 21st. I hope they will be because I will be on the Cob most evenings giving it a go. Something I look forward to every year. Then walking back across the beach for a beer. Can't wait

Don't let the locals know you spelt it "cob."

They'll bang your head on Grannies teeth!

Cobb.

Have a good holiday, if there's no fish at Lyme nip up to Burton Bradstock early in the morning, almost guaranteed a few dozen before breakfast.

Regards

Tim

Live bait mackeral is a stunning bait ... nothing beats it for Bass fishing ... keep two or three in a well oxygenated "round" bucket ... if you use an oblong type, the mackeral die in minutes ... you fish them using the bottle method ... utterly deadly, beats all other baits put together, forget peeler crab, live bait mackeral wins hands down ... but its not as easy as lm explaining, ideally you need to see the method being fished to believe how good it is ... all top UK/Irish anglers use it "boat anglers" ... you fish it no deeper than 10 foot, as opposed to when using the method for Turbot .. enjoy your time experimenting ... cheers

Don't let the locals know you spelt it "cob."

They'll bang your head on Grannies teeth!

Cobb.

Have a good holiday, if there's no fish at Lyme nip up to Burton Bradstock early in the morning, almost guaranteed a few dozen before breakfast.

Regards

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll remember that in future, Burton Bradstock is a good tip also. Does the tide make much difference that end?

If you touch them with your hands, dont put them back ! .... if you want to return them alive, and some should go back! ... grab the hook with pliers and shake them off, "not touching them" ...

If you find a shoal surfacing after the whitebait, cast towards the circumference of the shoal and dont let the rig sink to.much ... thats were the Garfish will be ... tip the hook with Mackeral skin !!

I've heard that when the fish are in then they can be caught in large number. I've also heard that they can go off quickly, SO not being a fisherman how do you keep them. Freeze or cook or some other method?

As far as my tastes go, some things along the lines of eat fresh within 2 days, or freeze ASAP and eat within perhaps a couple of weeks, perhaps a month but I doubt longer, keep them cool before eating or freezing, freeze well such as with a vacuum pack, smoke them and eat fresh or freeze, make them into pate and lastly, don't take more than you think you'll use else it's a waste.

Edited by yod dropper

If you touch them with your hands, dont put them back ! .... if you want to return them alive, and some should go back! ... grab the hook with pliers and shake them off, "not touching them" ...

If you find a shoal surfacing after the whitebait, cast towards the circumference of the shoal and dont let the rig sink to.much ... thats were the Garfish will be ... tip the hook with Mackeral skin !!

why don't you put them back if you touch with your hands ,have thrown loads back over the years.