Mackerel are go

rich1985

If you catch a few get em in the freezer as fast as possible and don't let the sun get on them while on the beach, cover them with a damp tea towel or similar, better still take a disposable BBQ with you and eat them on the beach! Taking the rubbish home of course!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if mackeral die after you touch them why after several hours livebaiting with them are they so active ,i feather them up take them off the hook them put them on my livebait setup they dont die ??

l see where you're coming from squire, but catergorically they do ... l wont bore you mate, life is to short. But there is actual marine research, documenting their finding ... handle a Mackeral and release and its deado .... tightlines mate

l see where you're coming from squire, but catergorically they do ... l wont bore you mate, life is to short. But there is actual marine research, documenting their finding ... handle a Mackeral and release and its deado .... tightlines mate

please bore us ?

Wont go into it personally "lve nicked a bit of a write up for you, these are their opinions, though lve known it for over 30 years and lve fished longer than that ... so if you care to peruse at your leisure, feel free ... cheers

You are quite correct, and you've come to the right people!

In the late 1970s we carried out several experiments to try to find out why dead mackerel were being found in vast numbers in the SW, co-incident with the purse seine and trawl winter fishery.

The short answer is that the fish died due to skin damage interfering with their ability to maintain osmotic balance, and the skin damage was due to abrasion between crowded fish in the nets.

We found that mackerel caught on barbless hooks and never handled, just dropped into keep tanks or nets, survived quite well if allowed to swim freely, but holding a mackerel caused enough damage to eventually kill it, sometimes two days later.

So, when anglers have caught enough mackerel for a fry or for bait, they should stop fishing for them unless they are using barbless hooks and can return the fish to the water without touching them.

Mike P.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The Minimum Landing Size for mackerel is 30cm in the North Sea (that includes quite a bit of the area that anglers may regard as The Channel) and 20cm elsewhere.

It is illegal to retain fish under these sizes eg being used as livebait, and Fisheries Officers will take action if you are found in possession of undersized fish of any species.

(See list of Minimum Landing Sizes at:http://www.nfsa.org...._sizes_2002.htm

Note that higher local MLS may apply for some specie (ie bass), so check with you local Sea Fisheries Committee if in doubt) "

The thread also did a bit of maths - imagine 200 feather chuckers catching 200 fish a day, thats 40,000 fish a day that will suffer damage or death

Edited by hoggysreels

Thanks for this hoggysreels. I didn't realise this was for general anglers as such, I always thought it was just for commercial fishing. Another lesson learnt.

Note: The Minimum Landing Size for mackerel is 30cm in the North Sea (that includes quite a bit of the area that anglers may regard as The Channel) and 20cm elsewhere.

It is illegal to retain fish under these sizes eg being used as livebait, and Fisheries Officers will take action if you are found in possession of undersized fish of any species.

Was going to say in the sea 😗😗😗😀

South coast Solent area

Daren't be more precise or there will be a hundred here tomorrow

I only use worm for bait

To mean to buy lures

Best of luck with your wallpaper

All the best

74BC4CE8-38EC-48FD-9CEB-958BBC021F06_zps

Of

2now hope the bigger ones come as it gets dark

Edited by Old farrier

I'm just waiting for my grandfather to give me the nod on the mackerel, I'll be hitting mackerel rock near bull bay (Anglesey)as soon as he phones me, he spends the summer down at his van on the island

Nowt better than fresh mackerel, it's damn good raw too,

Atb

Flynny

Nowt better than fresh mackerel, it's damn good raw too,

Totally agree I only live 10mins from my mackerel spot. So often pop out on my bike with my spinning rod then if I catch a fish I pop home fillet and skin it cut it in strips and have it with Ancona sweet chilli dipping sauce. Raw super fresh fish not even out the sea for 30mins before its in my belly fantastic

Was going to say in the sea

South coast Solent area

Daren't be more precise or there will be a hundred here tomorrow

I only use worm for bait

To mean to buy lures

Best of luck with your wallpaper

All the best

74BC4CE8-38EC-48FD-9CEB-958BBC021F06_zps

Of

2now hope the bigger ones come as it gets dark

Only a baby

Thanks all, currently searching for a suitably travel rod to slip the car to take to Cornwall

Where abouts in Cornwall?

We've had mackerel for months down on/around the lizard peninsula, the bass are also in (dont think they ever left), we've also got codling coming up the estuary's and mummy and daddy cod out in the open.

And my favourite are back early too, Gilt-head Bream being reported up all the estuary's/rivers, we've had some crackers already, great sport and taste great.

My boats in the water this weekend so many a fishing adventure on the horizon. :good:

Edited by thepasty

Sounds great! We will be in the portscatho area, have ordered a nice 12ft 5piece rod to chuck in the car, and will get some feathers at some point. Cant wait to give it a go. Looking forward to giving it a go when back in Norfolk as well

Totally agree I only live 10mins from my mackerel spot. So often pop out on my bike with my spinning rod then if I catch a fish I pop home fillet and skin it cut it in strips and have it with Ancona sweet chilli dipping sauce. Raw super fresh fish not even out the sea for 30mins before its in my belly fantastic

Your the same as me only I live closer to the sea I only live 100 yards away well Strangford lough but still good fishing

Sounds great! We will be in the portscatho area, have ordered a nice 12ft 5piece rod to chuck in the car, and will get some feathers at some point. Cant wait to give it a go. Looking forward to giving it a go when back in Norfolk as well

Theres some cracking spots around portscatho, could even try for mullet, bream and bass up the Fal estuary. Get there for low tide and you can dig fresh lug for bait....peeler crabs under the weed too ;)

Edited by thepasty