Mother's 'at

wymberley

Well, that was all a bit too quick.

After shooting that fox I went back the following evening and cleaned up half a dozen rabbit with time left to have a quick shufti in a field of hay, cut and drying before getting baled. Not a rabbit to be seen but just one really mangy fox. Tried to call it in but failed so having given up I got out of the truck to have a look through a gate to see what was in the next pasture field. The crafty devil had come down on the other side of the hedge and there he was 30 yards away looking at me looking at him. Dead easy shot with the HMR - the only problem being that whereas the shot was on with the gate as a rest, I'm at the gate and the rifle is in the truck. So, tomorrow will have to do.

I arrived nice and early - so I thought - and set up the 'at. !00 yards from the truck, 120 from the gate in the side hedge and 150 from the bottom one giving a nice comfortable 110 to 140 kill zone. Walking back to the truck I turned at about 50 yards to double check the distance and again at 75 with what looked like 25 still to go - yep, 100 yards looks about right. Walked the last 25 and popped my head out of the sun roof only to see a fox running AWAY from the 'at and disappearing into the bottom hedge. I was not able to see if it was the one I was after. If it was, then that was probably it for the night but I had no choice but to wait and see. After some 20 minutes one came out of the bottom hedge - clearly not the one I wanted - ran straight to the 'at and started to eat it. "Chew on this, then", sending down the SX for dessert. Went down, took the outer wrap of fur from the vixen's mouth and set up again. As I'd also spotted a couple of rabbit in this field the previous evening, I'd also brought along the HMR so when one popped out I was able to get that without too much noise. Eventually, a crafty old dog stepped quietly through the gate and paused. I can't shoot because he's stood behind a drum of electric fencing cable. He's not too sure so takes a couple of steps towards the 'at. Thank you and goodnight. It all goes quiet with just one more rabbit taken out before I call it quits. I reckon the very first one was the one I wanted so I'll have to go back yet again.

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

When will I ever learn?

First rule of football - face the ball.

Hornet cleaned, zero checked and proven on a few rabbit. More rounds loaded if necessary and we're ready to go. Get set up with the 'at 50 yards out from the opposing hedge and a clear run of 150+ yards on either side. Got there a tad early so had the odd casual look for rabbit which occasionally appear to my right in this particular field. Not too clever as the area is full of dips and all you usually get is two ears and a head. Oh, there's one - missed. 30 minutes and there's another 175 yards into the corner making it about 160 - a hit. Another 20 minutes and there's a third whch again I missed, but time to concentrate on what we're doing now.

But you can't help it.

Another quick glance for a rabbit and turn back to see a fox hurtling left to right 100 yards out. Hard 'U' turn flat out and back (I assume) from where it came. What on earth...?

Hang on why is the 'at laid on the floor in kit form?

Damn!

First rule of foxing - face the 'at.

Edit: PS Just realised that the first photo on the thread which explains all is a casualty of Photobucket. So:

Mother_039_s_039_at.jpg

Edited by wymberley