anyone know much about mountain bike? - disc brakes

WinchesterDave

As the question Says,

I got a new, good (to me) Trek hardtail MTB last year. It's been great and perfect for what I do, however the thing is, everytime I feather the rear brake (hydraulic disc) and put pressure down on the brake lever the loudest most unpleasant noise occurs and vibration goes all throughout the bike!! I hate using my rear brake but going down hill it's needed

To control speed obviously but the noise and vibration is horrendous!! :s have no idea why that happens could someone give me advice or explanation as to why this is happening :/ cheers.

Dave

Ohhh! Tombe honest im not sure ive never taken them out:/ I will,do some YouTube research tonight and have a play tomorrow. Are they easy to remove and re fit? There seems to just be a metal bar type object holding them in im guessing you take this out?

How do I kmow if the calliper is alligned?

Whip the pads out and clean them on a flat piece of wet and dry/emery cloth. Put the abrasive on a flat surface so you sand the pads flat.

treks of a certain age have a bolt on disc adapter which can cause a harmonic vibration when the pads are grubby or the mount isn't 100 % clean and tight so it's worth unbolting it, cleaning the mating surfaces and putting it back nice and tight.

Disc brake adaptor:

http://www.westmichiganbike.com/images/library/large/tk_1_intl_discbrk_mount_12_m.jpg [\img]

Edited by halfbee

Have a look at the pad material,,,,if its sintered metal try changing to organic ones. Also try changing the make of pad. I too had a hell of a noise on my Formula Oro brakes until I experimented with materials. Evan tried one sintered and one organic on the same caliper. The organic ones tend to be for normal dry weather use.

You couod try oiling it! Works on squeeky hinges :lol: JOKING of course! had a friend try it on his Cortina :oops:

I find a lot of pushbikes squeal when applying the rear brake! I don't think ot's due to warped disks :no: That would squeak intermitently normally but not when applying the brakes. I think it's most likely a contaminate on the brake pad surface! Try a bit of emery cloth on the pad surface! And clean the disk with meths etc! A medical alcohol wipe will work well too! It just removes grease and grime!

Okay guys update;

Took wheel off, then took the pads out, cleaned them

On some light sandpaper which seemed

To clean them up, got a meths type sunstance and cleaned the rotor which got off a bit of muck. Replaced the wheel

Etc and went to realign calliper which I did after some patients haha!

Anyway, took bike out for a

Test ride up the road and the initial brake was; Vibration/noise gone... Distinct lack in stopping power...

After a while stopping power slowly came

Back and vibration/noise was not there!

I thought I'd fixed it, but then a small sound was

Coming back and then eventually the whole vibation and noise was back!

Went back to the garage and the discs as you can imagine were rather on the hot side to touch... Let them cool down and went back out... Stopping power was fine noise had gone... You can guess what's coming.. Yes the vibration and noise came

Back after a while of stop starting with the brakes, went back in and they were very hot.

I repeated this another time and the same

Thing happened, my conclusion is this horrible noise and vibration occurs when the rotor gets hot?

Any suggestions?

Dave.

Ps thank you all for your helpful comments!

Edited by WinchesterDave

sounds like its time for a new disc matey....

i would imagine its possible that the disc is worn to a point that when it gets hot, it starts to deform and flex with the heat, causing the vibration.

i could be wrong mind you....

how much is a new disc?

Binding means that the pads are touching the disc when the brake is not applied.This is easily checked by spinning the wheel and watching to see how long it takes to slow down. If it comes to a sudden and noisy stop then the pads are binding. This can be caused by a sticky piston in the caliper. Take the pads out and physically force the pistons fully in with something like a plastic tyre lever which won't damage anything. then re=fit the pads and try the spin test again. if there is no noise then apply the brake and watch/listen again. Sudden stop and or noise suggests that the pistons need looking at and cleaning together with new seals to be on the safe side.