How fast does a standard clay fly?

Madcowz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably the worst engineer. I work for a train company; the trains weigh 800 tons, carry 750 passengers, and do 200mph across three countries. I've also designed and flown my own model aircraft.

So here's the maths.....

claycalcgh6.jpg

Assuming a crossing clay is doing 40mph and is 30 yds out, the drawing above gives it all in feet per second and works out the 'sighted lead' you might use.

Actually, the results surprised me; two barrel widths in front of the clay. Maybe I'll hit some more next time out (well, I can live in hope at least can't I?).

Excellent,

thank you. That really gives me some idea of how much further in front I should be shooting. Now off to practice and get the right sight picture.

/Mad

I'll be interested if you do any better.

The above asumes a lot: not all clays do 40 mph (60 mph would equate to 3 barrel widths!), they don't all cross at right angles, and won't all be 30 yds out. And the diagonal (quartering???) clays are a different species yet again.

When I first started clay shooting, I couldn't hit the side of a London bus. A guy stood behind me and said "you're a target shooter". True, I had a RAF marksman at Purfleet with a Lee Enfield .303; I kept shooting at the clays.

I'm still only learning now how much lead to use, and I think it's only experience that can teach you, not maths. Still, it's an interesting exersize and gives some idea of where not to shoot, ie. at it!

Good luck.

I've also designed and flown my own model aircraft.

One more of us, i've designed and made my own helecopter blades, and a couple of deltas. My own downlink 2.4ghz camera for aerial photography :D

Mind, since I found clays I have not flown, not once :)

The problem I have here, and it must be obvious in the factual and reasoned way I normally post (If I'm not drunk) is I am an engineer. I can't help seeing everything as a formula.

Honestly, when I see something moving I think about the energy required, how the thing gets or generates it, how efficient it is. When I see a problem I have to solve it, much to everyone else's dismay when I start solving problems people didn't know they had (until I opened my mouth).

I can't help it, its engineering disease, and it's not easy to get over :no:

Generates Pin?? Need I remind you of The law of conservation of energy. :D:)

The book I mentioned earlier is "Shotgun Shooting Techniques & Technology" by John Brindle.

I retrieved in from the loft earlier & nearly put my foot through the ceiling..!! :D

The book was published in 1985 and a lot of the information is already out of date.

There is a chapter on Lead (Forward Allowance), it starts..."There is hardly a beginner in shotgun shooting who has thought about the matter at all who does not believe that leading the moving target is the thing about it that will give him most problems. The more he shoots the more certain becomes his realisation that this is not so.."

In my opinion, a very true statement.

Cat.

another good book to read is Bob Brister's "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science "

he is another who put his soul into the art of shotgunning, i beleive he was the first to test patterns with a moving object, eg a car towing a target to be shot, justifying the results in pattern and string effects at different speeds.

get a chance, read it :rolleyes::good:

Martin

not to mention the fact that you have friction from the clay trap, wind resistance , temperature, humidity, lock time, reaction time for your swing, the cartridge is also constantly slowing down once it has left the barrel, pellets travel at differing speeds, different shapes different amounts of resistance on the pellets, then you have choke and shot size which effects shot string, then wadding, bore diameter, bore resistance,angle of tragectory, angle of fire. to be honest if you could come up with a formular to include most of these and then a way of putting it into practise you could probably sell it to some clay basher (and make lots of money) who just wants to win the prize money and is more concerned with his beretta bag hat and vest image then he is with having a good time with friends. just swing through and pull the trigger.

not to mention the fact that you have friction from the clay trap, wind resistance , temperature, humidity, lock time, reaction time for your swing, the cartridge is also constantly slowing down once it has left the barrel, pellets travel at differing speeds, different shapes different amounts of resistance on the pellets, then you have choke and shot size which effects shot string, then wadding, bore diameter, bore resistance,angle of tragectory, angle of fire. to be honest if you could come up with a formular to include most of these and then a way of putting it into practise you could probably sell it to some clay basher (and make lots of money) who just wants to win the prize money and is more concerned with his beretta bag hat and vest image then he is with having a good time with friends. just swing through and pull the trigger.

:D:/:lol::lol:

thats it sod it im not playing this game anymore, anyone looking to buy 14 shotguns of varying gauges, inacuracy's and unreliability's are an acceptance of purchase, with a hat full of chokes that obviously wont work right and stock lengths that are wrong, all barrels are sold as seen, if you miss its your problem not mine, a set of hi viz sights ,,,,if i can find them :lol: , all amount of shells with again, shot size diferentiating variables of no notable record, and loading cup pressures with no documentation to legaly clarify responseability in again missing, im looking for a new set of "Ping's" for my new hobby, for gods sake dont tell LB when he gets back, he'll swing for me.

knew i should have taken up team solitare when i had the chance, look at the state of this sport now, no-one knows what to do.

Martin

pin my friend, do you honestly think i would give you something else to complicate your shooting ;):D

you may like my Walther P22 it shoots skeet well,,,,, well station 8 anyway, he rest are to far away, 1/15oz shotshell before anyone croaks out loud, what a fun time that was, you never know i may take up shooting again :lol::lol:

Martin

:good::good::D:/

thats it sod it im not playing this game anymore, anyone looking to buy 14 shotguns of varying gauges, inacuracy's and unreliability's are an acceptance of purchase, with a hat full of chokes that obviously wont work right and stock lengths that are wrong, all barrels are sold as seen, if you miss its your problem not mine, a set of hi viz sights ,,,,if i can find them :lol: , all amount of shells with again, shot size diferentiating variables of no notable record, and loading cup pressures with no documentation to legaly clarify responseability in again missing, im looking for a new set of "Ping's" for my new hobby, for gods sake dont tell LB when he gets back, he'll swing for me.

knew i should have taken up team solitare when i had the chance, look at the state of this sport now, no-one knows what to do.

Martin

Martin,

Don't play with your new "Pings" for money if Pin's around - this guy's a serious single figure handicapper, if a bit rusty due to too much shooting and ferreting lately.

You have been warned..!!

Cat.

im glad you mentioned that Cat, i hoping to be back in september, and would like to get to meet the mistro of "comps" as it didnt work out last time, so "no" to the game of gentlemen then and guns at any stations it is.

could have lost me shirt, there :)

looking to get to the machine show in Hannover, and thought a pop back in the old country on the way back might fit in well with the weather, of cource that just put the kibosh on that right, i need to see how that computer genius shoots B) B) :no: .

Martin

Cat's being too kind, I have not played in a long while, I keep saying I will get back into it but I just enjoy my shooting too much to waste all that time in the countryside without my gun..

Hmm, stick a head cover on it, it would go in the bag ok. I think I just invented a new sport. If not a good excuse for slicing a cheeky drive into the lake to put up some geese :)

i have to admit i went out many times last year, having only played the odd texas scramble and a couple of rounds before, got me a set of cheapo sticks, a few lessons form a club pro and thouroughly enjoyed the experience, not too sure of the game rules in the UK but here the beer babes come round regular as clocckwork :) ,,,,,,,, every dam fairway to be honest :lol: ,,,,got to stop drinking sometime soon :lol: ,,, maybe next year :no: .

me and a few guys,mostly Brits had great season, i even shot a 91 ,,,,, yeah yeah laugh your ***** off all you want, me i was chuffed to bits, so much so i ditched the cheapos off on the mrs and picked up a set of Ping stick to start this season with, looking forward to it muchly, just need me one of them sticks that hit in the right direction and im happy.

Martin

p.s. selecting the cloth for the Jacket soon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no it wont be green it'll be straight B) B) :good:???;):D

Martin,

So we won't see you at Atlanta then..B) :no:

I feel dreadful about my golf, I renewed my membership at £900 per year on January 1st and I've not yet hit a single ball there this year..!!

I reckon it would have been cheaper for me to have paid the non-members green fee of £45 per round..!!

Still, I see it this way, you can't do everything in life, I've shot OK over the last year, I can always go back to the golf course and the trout lakes once the ageing process really sets in, until then, I'll try and stay sharp for shooting.

Would love to shoot with you if you're over here later in the year, hopefully you can show me how to shoot skeet (properly..!!), and I can show you how easy it is to miss a bucketful of targets on an English Sporting layout. :)

Anywhere in the South West area would be OK with me, just PM me nearer the time.

Cat.

apparently LB said i dont shoot skeet properly loike wot ee does B) :good: something about not getting my head down,,,,,or the stock up ???;) .

Cat,Pin, id love to get together with you guys for a shoot or two when i get back, its something ive looked forward to before and i dont want to miss this time :no: B) thanks for the offer, just hope i dont let you guys down, skeet from the shoulder theres a novel idea :) sporting skeet whatever you guys got im in.

p.s. 45 quid for golf, is that with a chaufer driven cart with wet bar :lol:?:lol:? jeeez .

know why your shooting more now :D

Martin

will be in touch