How fast does a standard clay fly?

Madcowz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an engineer and I have an enquiring and technical mind but the best solution is go out and shoot some clays at a practice ground where you can blast away at your hearts content, with out a pattern plate and a slow motion camera you are not going to see exactly what the shot string is going to do.

At 35 yards give it 3 foot of lead but dont stop swinging, if the clay turns to dust it has flown into the centre of the shot string, if the back edge has been chipped off you were slightly behind the clay, use these pointers to gauge lead on your next shot and dont forget your 35 yards and 3 foot of lead could be totaly different to my picture.

now even im confused :good::good: i think the forum should have all engineers rounded up and forced to shoot a thousand rounds in a day, if that dont cure it another thousand the next day , :good::yes::no::good:

when i out on the range instructing i often hear "give it 3 feet", my first question to them is how do you perceive 3 feet on a bird thats traveling at 60 mph at 35 yds :no:? each and every target's lead will vary through its flight, gauging a lead is the key to a good kill, for some reason most people use that term "3 ft" , and as you rightly said your veiw of the bird will be different from mine, one practiced method i do use is to gauge lead with your fingers, something you can actualy visualise, think of lead in the number of fingers you can see between your muzzle and the target

, onviously the more acute the target the more fingers lead required, its a good gauge for newcomers to the game and one i've adopted from an old pro shooter with great results, give it a go next time your out.

Martin

p.s. your absolutley right, my reference was to the int'l shooters, their loads are governed to produce as little a shotstring as possible, i beleive its to reduce any advantage of one shooter with one load over another, havong participated in these avents i can tell you there is a difference between them.

I was wondering how fast a standard clay flies (if there is such a thing).

I ask as I am trying to work out how far it will travel by the time the shot hits it (or in my case misses behind it).

Say a left to right crosser with the trap 35 yards away. I fire and my shot travels at about 1450m/s?

Also, how long is the shot string by then and what is the margin of error between the front of the string and the end?

I'm not planning on getting too technical but am interested in the figures.

thanks,

/Mad

D.T.L. clays leave the trap at 30mph, A.B.T. at45mph

D.T.L. clays leave the trap at 30mph, A.B.T. at45mph

and your point would be :no:?:no:?:/?:D?????????????????????:yahoo:?:shout:???

:good::good::yes:

My point is, I answered the question ( how fast is the clay ), unlike some ,I don't take a set square, slide rule, calculator or theodolite to the clay ground, just a trap gun & cartridges, then when I see the target I shoot it, I find this approach also works for game :good::good:

I ask as I am trying to work out how far it will travel by the time the shot hits it (or in my case misses behind it).

Say a left to right crosser with the trap 35 yards away. I fire and my shot travels at about 1450m/s?

Also, how long is the shot string by then and what is the margin of error between the front of the string and the end?

thanks,

/Mad

RELAX,,, just kidding you big guy, but as you say you answered the question,,,,,,,, there were a number if you look again,,,,

how fast --- target

how far --- in terms of trap to shooter

how near --- margin error with string, concerning differing loads

how long --- do i go on :good::lol: joshin wiv ya

as far as speed of target goes, IT DONT MATTER A ,,,,,,, to me its a visual perception, eg how fast do i pick up the target, at what point does the target become clear, where is the target relevant to my pick up point and break point, what time do i have when my muzzle hits the target,my lead is set,and my eye gives me the ok to pull triggers, not forgetting to give myself an option that if all goes wrong and the target becomes critical where is plan "B" do i have a get out of jail card for a bad mount wrong swing or incorrect read.

you know the list goes on and on, each and every shooter tells a different tale as to how its broken.

get out there and enjoy it buddy :P

Martin

• 1 month later...

thanks,

/Mad

you will drive yourself totally mad trying to work this one out,

the logistics are impossible1350/1450 fps is muzzle velocity as soon as the shot leaves the barrel it starts

it starts to slow at an undetermined rate. shot size wind all have to be taken into account.

if you are attempting to assess required lead.

let the clay start flying come from behind and as your button passes the clay pull the trigger and keep the gun moving , the gun should be travelling faster than the clay using this method.

if you shoot dtl you use the same principle vertically blot it out fire and keep swinging

thanks,

In addition to my reply,

shot string .the tighter the choke the longer the string.

I have shot 23 out of 25 skeet using fulland full I put it down to shot string as against spread.

also swing the gun you get shot string going out and going accross.

when I coach i tell the novices dont shoot at the clay

spread out a carpet of lead for the clay to run into.

swing it man.

/Mad

I am an engineer and I have an enquiring and technical mind but the best solution is go out and shoot some clays at a practice ground where you can blast away at your hearts content, with out a pattern plate and a slow motion camera you are not going to see exactly what the shot string is going to do.

At 35 yards give it 3 foot of lead but dont stop swinging, if the clay turns to dust it has flown into the centre of the shot string, if the back edge has been chipped off you were slightly behind the clay, use these pointers to gauge lead on your next shot and dont forget your 35 yards and 3 foot of lead could be totaly different to my picture.

now even im confused :good::good: i think the forum should have all engineers rounded up and forced to shoot a thousand rounds in a day, if that dont cure it another thousand the next day , :good::no::no:;)

when i out on the range instructing i often hear "give it 3 feet", my first question to them is how do you perceive 3 feet on a bird thats traveling at 60 mph at 35 yds ???? each and every target's lead will vary through its flight, gauging a lead is the key to a good kill, for some reason most people use that term "3 ft" , and as you rightly said your veiw of the bird will be different from mine, one practiced method i do use is to gauge lead with your fingers, something you can actualy visualise, think of lead in the number of fingers you can see between your muzzle and the target

, onviously the more acute the target the more fingers lead required, its a good gauge for newcomers to the game and one i've adopted from an old pro shooter with great results, give it a go next time your out.

Martin

p.s. your absolutley right, my reference was to the int'l shooters, their loads are governed to produce as little a shotstring as possible, i beleive its to reduce any advantage of one shooter with one load over another, havong participated in these avents i can tell you there is a difference between them.

thanks,

In addition to my reply,

shot string .the tighter the choke the longer the string.

I have shot 23 out of 25 skeet using fulland full I put it down to shot string as against spread.

also swing the gun you get shot string going out and going accross.

when I coach i tell the novices dont shoot at the clay

spread out a carpet of lead for the clay to run into.

swing it man.

/Mad

now even im confused B) B) i think the forum should have all engineers rounded up and forced to shoot a thousand rounds in a day, if that dont cure it another thousand the next day , :lol::lol::lol::good:

when i out on the range instructing i often hear "give it 3 feet", my first question to them is how do you perceive 3 feet on a bird thats traveling at 60 mph at 35 yds ???? each and every target's lead will vary through its flight, gauging a lead is the key to a good kill, for some reason most people use that term "3 ft" , and as you rightly said your veiw of the bird will be different from mine, one practiced method i do use is to gauge lead with your fingers, something you can actualy visualise, think of lead in the number of fingers you can see between your muzzle and the target

Martin

this engineers going to the pub MY BRAIN HURTS.

I think the only thing this thread proves is that Pin can play good Golf, and I can't, it's that simple..!!

Stop worrying about how fast clays fly, it doesn't matter..!! ;)

Cat

You do yourself a disservice - time on the course is what's needed. From the brief afternoon I was out with you all the shots are there, like anything more time out there would bring it all together.

If you fancy another 18 all you have to do is say, I'll drive and pay this time :good:

I just wanted to know how fast a clay flys. So if someone asks "How fast do the clays travel?" I could give them an answer instead of "I dunno ;) "

Couldn't be ***** trying to use math to figure out how far to pull in front. Just wanted to be able to answer the question. I'm **** anyway, tried 50 sporting birds for the first time on saturday and only got 32 :good: .

For the record I have never had any success with this "swing through" method, maintained lead for me. Well, that or "just shoot" which is what I normally do, think about it and you miss :good:

You are dead right to much thinking mucks up your shooting ;)

I just wanted to know how fast a clay flys. So if someone asks "How fast do the clays travel?" I could give them an answer instead of "I dunno ;) "

Couldn't be ***** trying to use math to figure out how far to pull in front. Just wanted to be able to answer the question. I'm **** anyway, tried 50 sporting birds for the first time on saturday and only got 32 :good: .

That's not ****, that's 64% which would be deemed very reasonable :good:

Clays, depends on the trap and type of target. Anything from under 30mph to 70+

I just wanted to know how fast a clay flys. So if someone asks "How fast do the clays travel?" I could give them an answer instead of "I dunno :lol: "

Couldn't be ***** trying to use math to figure out how far to pull in front. Just wanted to be able to answer the question. I'm **** anyway, tried 50 sporting birds for the first time on saturday and only got 32 :lol: .

I would call 64% **** that a reasonable score if thats your first time out on sporting. :good: