want to go clay shooting more!!

fxcyclone

I'm sort of in the same boat fx, as I'm self employed I have limited time to shoot on Sundays which as you know is the main day for clubs and reg shoots.

I do meet up with a person from this forum quite a lot on Tuesdays (day off) but generally I shoot on my own, at least you don't have to wait around for others to turn up and start and finish when you please.

As time goes by from visiting regular clubs you do meet people that you see and speak to on a regular basis so really your not totally alone when your at the club. If you really want to shoot with others just turn up at your local and ask people if they mind if you tag a long, I've had that asked to me before not a problem :)

http://www.petersfieldgunclub.co.uk/control/main looks like your closest club.

The bug bit deep for me and I find myself driving all over Southern England to shoot but most shoots are within 30 minutes or so.

I've actually made quite a few new friends since starting earlier this year just by bumping in to the same crowd a few times.

Edited by Nimbusgb

I myself usually shoot alone, all my old shooting buddies are either dead or feeding the ducks in the grounds of their care home!

I just walk up to the first person walking away from the shooting ground office clutching a scorecard, provided that they do not have too many body piercings of course, if I can ‘squad up’ with them? This is never usually a problem I would say to you however, that if you do receive a negative response, as I have done on the very rare occasion, don’t let it dent your resolve and don’t read too much into it, just ask the next, and in my case poor unfortunate soul and soon you’ll be fixed up and shooting.

• 3 weeks later...

Think cost is a factor for all of us bar a few well off folk. Shooting high volumes is expensive, remember the thread about how much do you spend on shooting, frightening when you add it up properly with your fuel.

Figgy

Think cost is a factor for all of us bar a few well off folk. Shooting high volumes is expensive, remember the thread about how much do you spend on shooting, frightening when you add it up properly with your fuel.

Figgy

Its the background costs that really can add up.Fuel,butties,tyres wear and tear,some overnights and probably a whole load of other stuff,i don't want to add it up.

Old Guy Old Ways Tight Budget

I have to say that cost is always a factor that is in my mind, not always a lack of funds more often a lack of the willingness to spend hard won money on pursuing a clay pigeon! It is difficult for me to justify spending £35.00 to £40.00 to shoot in my case, a few practice birds, no matter how much enjoyment I get out of it. I tend to shoot about once every three to four weeks, sometimes more in the summer, (fair weather shooter, ’you bet’) and hardly ever in the winter.

My method, (which only costs a little time and dedication) for what it is worth is to practice at home every day for about twenty minutes, I always start out-of-the-shoulder and practice perfecting a perfect routine, stance, grip, control of the gun, gun mount, smooth swing and follow-through, gun dismount, catching the spent cases, (SNAP-CAPS plastic type) and because of my age, (**) maintaining correct eye dominance, which was starting to shift some years ago.

I use snap-caps my reasons for doing so are as follows, on the first couple of swings I get the pre-travel that the trigger makes before it starts to engage the sear set in my mind, I then squeeze off a left and right shot, this tells my mind the point at which the sears break and on my gun there is a perceptible difference, and I have to change the barrel selector shot to shot as mine is of the inertia type. I then change back to the original barrel on the selector and continue for the rest of the sequence squeezing straight through, at this stage I have not broken the gun so the tumblers are not reset, this tells my mind how much travel there is through the whole firing sequence and also allows me to get the gun-swing-trigger-squeeze timing fixed in my mind. When I have finished that particular sequence I break the gun and catch the snap-caps, (most of the time)!

My average on the small local shoot that I use is usually between 80/95% and I shoot 7/8 and full so something must be right and I always feel that my money has been well spent!!

From experience a word of warning on snap-caps, make sure that they are functioning as they should, i.e. springs not seized.

Good shooting.

Unless you are affluent then cost is going to come into the reconning. I was looking into home loading but before investing in the gear I did some research on other forums and apparently it is not better. You save little or nothing. In some cases it could be more expensive. That surprises me.