Educate my on choice of air rifle

tonker

Hi Guys,

I need an Air rifle, let me say that I shoot a 17 hmr, .22rf, .222 centrefire and a .270 I also have half a dozen shotguns. So guns are not the problem. I've used a mate's Weihrauch 97K that he could never get accurate

(it was his shooting) but now he wants it back :no:

I need it for shooting rats down at the chicken pen, I can't use anything else as its beside the road. (well, a very quite country lane actually) with tin running the length of the pen for the bottom 3ft. when I say quiet 1 car an hour maybe.

I just want something reasonable cheap, as thats all i'll use it for (unless I get the bug).

Do I need a 177 on a 22. springer/ bottle at this moment in time, nothing is beyond 20yds unless I get into taking rabbits for the Maggies in the Larsen, but I normally use the rimmie for that.

Please let me have your thoughts on this because, believe it or not I've never bought an air rifle and haven't the foggiest

a cheap .22 springer would do the job just the same as a £1000 daystate but if there is a lot of rats each time u go shooting then a multishot pcp would be the tool for the job plus it is quite rewarding shooting rabbits with an air rifle.

it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

hope this helps

Edited by Duckman91

Duckman91

I was only thinking a couple of hundred quid, 350 tops I have a number of scopes I can put on it.

and it may only get used half a dozen times a year.

so perhaps a s/h springer may do, thats why I asked the question. as said no idea

thanks for reply

Edited by tonker

well sorry guy,s but I disagree with you all except for Falconfn,

get a S/H HW80 springer in .22 and it will do you for the rats as well as other vermin, it would certainly be my first choice and its a rifle that will certainly do the job its needed for and for years

to come, built like a tank and certainly built to last, a truelly awesome air rifle and within your budget also

atb Evo

well sorry guy,s but I disagree with you all except for Falconfn,

get a S/H HW80 springer in .22 and it will do you for the rats as well as other vermin, it would certainly be my first choice and its a rifle that will certainly do the job its needed for and for years

to come, built like a tank and certainly built to last, a truelly awesome air rifle and within your budget also

atb Evo[/quote

Totally agree with Bob-get a HW80,IMO the best break barrel spring gun ever made!

TBH, you're going to get a lot of opinions on this question, none of them really wrong. For maybe 6 times a year you'd do okay with all suggestions, though I'd go .22 minimum. Buy a s/h HW80 and provided you don't butcher it you could resell at little loss. Buy a Hatsan, Mod 60 or Striker and they will work perfectly (I shoot one as well as my Weihrauch's). Brand new with warranty and little outlay (you'd get one with a scope for less than £200), but come to resell it and you'll get little for it

Im sure i seen an HW77 laminated stock for £340 new in Sportsman GC. Now thats a super bargain for a quality springer and will do anything you need it for.

Otherwise to that as above posts HW80/97

AirArms TX200 range.

All proven work horses in the field over many years.

DD

Unless your a bit weedy a HW80 with a 1.5-5X20 Simmons WTC. .22 flavour. "coz .25 pills are harder to get when your in a rush". Hard to break and easy to fix, great trigger powerful and low in recoil due to working under than their original design spec and the extra heft. SH like said hard to loose money on.

This is exactly the airgun I keep though I couldn't resist and Steve Pope got his hands on mine and its now fulyl lazerglided with extras to my specification, think I have been using it 15 yrs or so? Must have owned hundreds of airguns and some very fancy ones, nothing betters this for Rats and ferals IMO

Break barrels beat UL and such on rats IMO, quick and simple even in the dark by feel