What is the best air rifle for rabbit shooting?

Benji02

Hello, I am looking at getting myself a new air rifle, I want a pcp .22 cal gun, I am wanting a multi shot but would like some opinions on what rifle to get, what is the best air rifle around? I have a budget of about £800 may exceed if needed, I don't mind if it is brand new or second hand I just want a really accurate and reliable gun that I can go rabbit shooting with as that's is my intended purpose and occasionally pidgions and other pests what suggestions makes and models do you lot have? I want a gun I can have for a good few years and won't let me down.

Many thanks

Alex

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

personally a .177 is the prefered hunting pellet,but you will not fail to be impressed day in day out with HW100.I had mine maybe 18 months,it has not played up once,and is so accurate,it is heavier than the rest,but about the same as a springer,comes with a very quiet silencer and 2X 14 shot mags,cocking action is very good and can't be double loaded,did I mention it was accurate and quiet,and accurate?

As above :good: Can't double load it, regulated as standard, 14 shot magazine, the quietest silencer out there, and pinhole accurate, and probably the only one that will withstand an accidental knock. :good: Retromic has the full length, I have the Karbine. Most find the full length a bit too weighty, so you will find more of those come up secondhand. £550-600 will get you a mint secondhand one will extras :good:Mines .177 :yes: Also check out Nitrojoe video here.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/286580-my-mate-shooting-17-rabbits-with-his-hw100-on-a-new-perm/

Mine...... although it now has a thumbhole stock like in the above video.

2014-06-02175330_zpsecf173d5.jpg

Edited by turbo33

I should say buy the one you like most from any of the top British makers and you will do ok. Although I have hunted with .177 and .20 also I actually prefer .22 cal. when it comes to vermin. In short if five yards trajectory advantage makes a difference your shooting too far out anyhow, in pcp there is also a shot count to consider between cals. Don't forget all the bottle/ charging bits and a decent scope and mounts in your budget.

My Air Arms S410 carbine .22 does everything I ask of it. And has been problem free for over 5 years.

But does your budget include the means to fill a Pcp? You need to factor in either a pump or air cylinder. If you go the Air cylinder route try to buy one with an integral contents gauge which cannot be used by a scuba diver. That way it is for surface use only and will only need a hydrostatic test every five years. Should you buy a dive cylinder with a pillar valve and no gauge then it will be regarded as capable of being used by a scuba diver and you will need to get a visual check half way through the 5 year period.

And, should you consider a second hand cylinder check that it's still in test (there should be an IDEST sticker on the shoulder of the cylinder). If you're offered a cheap cylinder because it's out of test then get the seller to have it tested and then consider a price because if you buy it and send it for test and it fails you don't get it back. It is scrapped.

HTH

As others have said, look at the following second hand:

BSA: Ultra or R10

AA: S400 or S410

Daystate: Huntsman Classic (not the regal) or any other model.

Theoben Rapid 7

HW: HW100

The above are all PCPs and will require recharing/refilling (via pump or air cylinder) but do consider a well tuned spring and piston rilfe also as they dont need recharging and in the right hands with practise will match a PCP.

Dont worry about calibre, .177 or .22 will do you fine, practise practise practise and learn your limits, I would suggest range out where you can keep a group sub 25mm ! Pellet test also for best results.

ATB

Matt

Thanks for all the replys guys, I went to my local gun shop to have a look at some guns and I found 2 of the recomended guns, the bsa r10 mk2 super carbine, and the hw100 liked the look of both guns and both highly recomended by the shop, iv had a look at the daystate huntsman classic also and like the look of it this was the gun I was looking at getting before posting this post, the shop did not recommend the daystate he said they have a lot of problems and therefor constantly recommended the hw100 and bsa r-10, iv seen god review about the hw100 and will probably try and find a mint condition second hand one as a new one with 2 mags and a silencer is £730 witch leaves me with little for a decent scope and pcp equipment, however the bsa came with a 3-9x50 scope silencer, bag for £799 new, can someone point me in the right direction of a good second hand hw100?

Thanks

My most used air-rifle is my Daystate Huntsman Classic.

This has Accuracy that IMO is match standard and with a superb bolt to cock the rifle and a great 10 shot rotary magazine this rifle really is at the pinnacle of sporting precision air-rifles!

This is my baby.

post-12095-0-71985100-1403343722_thumb.jpg

After doing some research I am thinking of getting a .177 as I'm not that good at range guessing and haven't got the money to splash out on a range finder just yet, I think if I get a .177 get some more experience in the field as the trajectory is more forgiving and see how it goes, do yous think that's this is a good idea?

Oh really? Thanks for the heads up, is there any issues with the hw100's?

Rarely, unless FAC. There will always be a rifle that someone has had issues with. But as far as I can recollect, the HW100 is the least problematic. And before anyone says it, it is one of the most popular, so its not because hardly anyone has one :lol:

My most used air-rifle is my Daystate Huntsman Classic.

This has Accuracy that IMO is match standard and with a superb bolt to cock the rifle and a great 10 shot rotary magazine this rifle really is at the pinnacle of sporting precision air-rifles!

This is my baby.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I could not agree more,,still gutted I sold mine to buy the wolverine b even though I,m very very happy with the wolv

atb Evo