Yapping pup

ollie

A little help required. My 5 month old ess pup is very yappy when it comes to feeding time. If we are not up before she is up in the morning she starts this awful yapping to get fed. As the dog lives outside I am worried about neighbours complaining.

I will be moving her onto 1 feed a day soon & I am worried about how I will stop this yapping. The rest of the time when she is not hungry she is fine. Any advice?

Hah join the club......my sprocker is 15 and a bit deaf and does it at feeding time.......walk time....then feeding time in the evening..............

oh advice.....

.....do as the dog tells you and get up earlier..........she is only "training " you after all !!

Edited by ditchman

The problem is, as soon as I walk out the back door to walk to the pen, she starts yapping as she knows I am letting her out. It's kind of an excited yapp.

Do you suggest I stand in the garden until it stops yapping when I am letting her out for play or food?

The problem is, as soon as I walk out the back door to walk to the pen, she starts yapping as she knows I am letting her out. It's kind of an excited yapp.

Do you suggest I stand in the garden until it stops yapping when I am letting her out for play or food?

Your reinforcing the barking by feeding, start surprising her by feeding her on another routine. Try taking her out on the lead if she yaps and she will likely not yap at heel for a twenty min walk, have someone place her food in the kennel when you are out walking her as she returns to the kennel she will be quiet take her into the kennel and allow her to eat. What you will then train is having her walk comes from barking so mind you don't create another barking issue. How I suggest you do this is by the surprise thing, getting up two hours earlier etc.

The whole ignoring them when they bark is fair enough but once the issue establishes its hard to extinguish the behaviour with it- more a prevention than a cure

When did it start ?

It has been an ongoing issue, I thought with her being a pup that she would grow out of it. But when I have ignored her she just keeps yapping. It's difficult with neighbours on either side when she is yapping at 7 in the morning.

Work out the trigger for the barking then eliminate the trigger. Process of elimination. Observe and work out exactly when the dog makes the first sign of a bark then change the way you do things leading up to the first sign of the dog barking.

You could try just letting the dog bark itself out at watching you come out with food and go back in. Get it so used to seeing you pottering around the kennel with a bowl in your hand or walking in and out of the house with it's food but it not getting fed. If you do that every day dozens of times in a short period I would guess the dog will eventually settle and after a very long time get so used to seeing you going through the motions that it stops barking and settles. Either way, it will be a very long process. Re positioning the kennel might help. See if someone totally random that the dog has never seen before has the same affect on it...there's plenty theories, ways and means to have a go but the answer, IMO is to cut the problem short before it gets the chance to escalate, when the dog was weeks old. You can listen all you want to the " let a pup be a pup" brigade but the top and bottom of it is, if you let a pup away with anything you don't want it doing as an adult, you might regret it forever.

It has been an ongoing issue, I thought with her being a pup that she would grow out of it. But when I have ignored her she just keeps yapping. It's difficult with neighbours on either side when she is yapping at 7 in the morning.

Its hard when you have neighbours and you want a quick fix, get the plan I suggested wrong and you could starting her up 2 hrs earlier! Still I should give it a go, because it will work with the correct commitment. The only other way is remote correction, if you know it happens at 7 be up and ready quietly waiting in the house without the dog knowing your up and ready in ambush. You could use an e-collar but many have just rigged up garden hoses aimed at the kennel door or sprinkler system etc through the kitchen tap (THE DOG MUST NOT ASSOCIATE YOU WITH THE CORRECTION AND IT MUST BE USED TO THE COLLAR OR HOSE BEING IN PLACE FOR A GOOD WEEK / FORTNIGHT IN ADVANCE) Unfortunately some actually like the hose. The trick is first yap and instant correction, dog does it again YAP/ CORRECT etc. You cannot let up and let it do it for even one lie in though.

If you go for the e-collar use it for nothing else and move it on when the issue is fixed, they are that fast there is a real temptation to use them for all sorts of stuff that goes a little wrong in training

Thanks for the advice lads. Truth be told, I have been up in the morning before it previously and as soon as the dog wakes up it starts yapping. I have resisted the urge to go out on occasions and it keeps yapping until I go out. As soon as the key goes into the door the yapping escalates as the dog knows I am coming out.

I know the e collar is a quick fix, but it's not something I would like to use on a dog.

I might use the technique that Bazooka suggested with the bowl and doing this on countless occasions.

Thanks for the advice lads. Truth be told, I have been up in the morning before it previously and as soon as the dog wakes up it starts yapping. I have resisted the urge to go out on occasions and it keeps yapping until I go out. As soon as the key goes into the door the yapping escalates as the dog knows I am coming out.

I know the e collar is a quick fix, but it's not something I would like to use on a dog.

I might use the technique that Bazooka suggested with the bowl and doing this on countless occasions.

I understand that about the e-collar although they are not meant to create real pain and I have used one on myself to test before each use (the worst of them really is over using for the wrong things because they are mega fast the dog can so easy be ruined if used wrong on the timing) , Water via the indoors tap? You have an established problem if you cant set the dog up to extinguish the problem I fear its going to be mega hard and long. Please consider a vet recommended behaviourist locally (look out though make sure it vet recommended some are just mad as a box of frogs and about as knowledgeable)

I understand that about the e-collar although they are not meant to create real pain and I have used one on myself to test before each use (the worst of them really is over using for the wrong things because they are mega fast the dog can so easy be ruined if used wrong on the timing) , Water via the indoors tap? You have an established problem if you cant set the dog up to extinguish the problem I fear its going to be mega hard and long. Please consider a vet recommended behaviourist locally (look out though make sure it vet recommended some are just mad as a box of frogs and about as knowledgeable)

I would consider the water. The problem is I would need to set the hose up through a window in the morning and this would set the dog off; I wouldn't feel safe having the hose permanently through an open window with the risk of someone breaking in.

The hose never worked for becuase of where my kennels are, i found water balloons to work well, same idea. U can store them in a bucket with water, even fill a few the night before.

Have u tried leaving a meaty bone in the run? Possibly if it had something to chew on first thing might help?

The hose never worked for becuase of where my kennels are, i found water balloons to work well, same idea. U can store them in a bucket with water, even fill a few the night before.

Have u tried leaving a meaty bone in the run? Possibly if it had something to chew on first thing might help?

Did you throw water balloons at it? I'm about to move it into its own run (at the minute it shares with my cocker) so until then I wouldn't want to put any bones in the run.

You will more than likely find it hard to stop the dog barking long term by throwing water balloons at it. The trouble is with doing that or anything else along those lines is that the it's a punishment after the event or crime has happened. In other words, and in my opinion, by the time you administer the punishment your dog will probably not associate the very beginning of it's crime with the punishment you throw at it. By the time you get somewhere near the dog it's crime is in full flow...i.e, as soon as your key goes in the door of your exit to the kennel area, dog is already barking. It might shut the dog up temporarily but it will start the next time you put the key in the door. I'm sure an E collar would be an option because it's a more instantaneous punishment but it's not something I have ever used so wouldn't like to advise and I believe they can cause greater problems in training if not used correctly. Trying to get to the point where you can feed and reward it for being quiet is IMO the key and until you remove those triggers from the equation, you'll never get the chance to reward.

Bones?...it will pacify the dog temporarily but as soon as there's no bone it could be a worse scenario than you have now and going out to give the dog the bones will start him barking and by giving him the bones you will be rewarding the very behavior you don't want.

Have you thought about placing an intercom or walky talky in the run set on high volume and before you exit the house just give a growl of 'shut up' or whatever words of chastisement you use, it might give you enough of a chance to get out to the dog when it's quiet? Get it used to hearing you do that and leave the door open so the first trigger of the key in the door is eliminated straight away?

Edited by Bazooka

Can only speak as i have found but the water ballons definately worked for me and this was with a GWP which i can assure u would no longer be with me if he carried on the way he was, still not 100% quiet but pretty good for the breed, completely different type of dog to ur average lab or spaniel and very few hpr's are wot i would call gundog quiet.

But to be honest i don't think i've ever seen a completley quiet kennel of gundogs the way ur's are Bazooka, every kennel i've been to they will bark at strangers and other odd times etc but then again not easy when u have large numbers of dogs

No different than turning a hose on in my case hose took to long to gain any power so as dog was juat a single bark or squek if u used the hose it would not spray the dog till 20-30 sec's later which is no good as u said above far too long after the event.

If my dog squeks/barks i will fill 1 and wait/hide where i can see him but he can't see me the instant he goes to bark i throw balloon, (so almost as instant as an e collar and probably more instant than a hose) either onto kennel roof or the fence 3 ft infront of kennel bars. When he was at his peak i had a few already filled in a bucket of water, there has been a few occasions he has almost been given away but really coming good now.

I even got 1 of them anti bark collars (which was a last resort) as well as an ultra sonic(bird box) thing that is meant to stop them barking, neither made any difference to him.

As for the bone i realise not solving any problem but just trying to break the habitat, if he had something to chew it might take his mind of it and he might eventually get out of the habit of barking even when he no longer has a bone.

If he is hearing the key in back door could u come out the front door and sneak round?

Thanks for the replies lads, really helpful.

I have started today letting the cocker out of the run & leaving the pup in the run until it stops yapping. I think if I consistently repeated this for a few weeks it may work.

After the dog is fed it is happy to sit in the run with me in the garden & it doesn't make a sound, it is just when it needs fed. For instance this afternoon I came home to yapping as it was needing fed. When it was fed & walked I put it back in the run & spent an hour in the garden cutting the grass and doing various chores; during this time there wasn't a peep out of her.

Can only speak as i have found but the water ballons definately worked for me and this was with a GWP which i can assure u would no longer be with me if he carried on the way he was, still not 100% quiet but pretty good for the breed, completely different type of dog to ur average lab or spaniel and very few hpr's are wot i would call gundog quiet.

But to be honest i don't think i've ever seen a completley quiet kennel of gundogs the way ur's are Bazooka, every kennel i've been to they will bark at strangers and other odd times etc but then again not easy when u have large numbers of dogs

No different than turning a hose on in my case hose took to long to gain any power so as dog was juat a single bark or squek if u used the hose it would not spray the dog till 20-30 sec's later which is no good as u said above far too long after the event.

If my dog squeks/barks i will fill 1 and wait/hide where i can see him but he can't see me the instant he goes to bark i throw balloon, (so almost as instant as an e collar and probably more instant than a hose) either onto kennel roof or the fence 3 ft infront of kennel bars. When he was at his peak i had a few already filled in a bucket of water, there has been a few occasions he has almost been given away but really coming good now.

I even got 1 of them anti bark collars (which was a last resort) as well as an ultra sonic(bird box) thing that is meant to stop them barking, neither made any difference to him.

As for the bone i realise not solving any problem but just trying to break the habitat, if he had something to chew it might take his mind of it and he might eventually get out of the habit of barking even when he no longer has a bone.

If he is hearing the key in back door could u come out the front door and sneak round?

I like what you did with your dog, simple when you think about it.

A little help required. My 5 month old ess pup is very yappy when it comes to feeding time. If we are not up before she is up in the morning she starts this awful yapping to get fed. As the dog lives outside I am worried about neighbours complaining.

I will be moving her onto 1 feed a day soon & I am worried about how I will stop this yapping. The rest of the time when she is not hungry she is fine. Any advice?

Looking at the O post, it sounds like it's more than the key in the door or the sight of you causing the yapping. She has been rewarded for doing this at some point, even if you don't realise it.

Try a walky talky in the kennel run but make sure you have a command for making her quiet.."shut up", "quiet" etc in a growling voice. Get her knowing that that means belt up. Bellow the same words in the same way down the walky talky into the kennel run BEFORE she even thinks about making a noise. Don't leave it until it's too late and she starts barking. If you can see her in the kennel from one of your windows, go to the window and growl at her "shut up/quiet" even when she is/before she gets the chance to think about barking. This could help.

I have started today letting the cocker out of the run & leaving the pup in the run until it stops yapping. I think if I consistently repeated this for a few weeks it may work.

After the dog is fed it is happy to sit in the run with me in the garden & it doesn't make a sound, it is just when it needs fed. For instance this afternoon I came home to yapping as it was needing fed. When it was fed & walked I put it back in the run & spent an hour in the garden cutting the grass and doing various chores; during this time there wasn't a peep out of her.

I suspect it wont as the dog has no direct link to make between not getting out and barking, though best of luck

My GWP tried being noisy in the kennel, it took a while to sort. Strange coz he never made noise working unless he put something to bay (meaning he wanted my help to kill it )

:no: Best advice for you is to get help from a respected local trainer who can help you understand what it is you need to try and more importantly, the reasoning you need to do certain things in certain ways.

Good luck.

I was asking a similar question a couple of months ago and solved the problem with a cup of water. My ESS would howl when I put her back in the kennel. When she started howling I would appear at the kennel and throw the cup of water at her then turn around and walk away. It has worked reasonably well. She now occasionally has a cry when she puts her self to bed, but it's once a fortnight for 4 seconds rather than every time she goes back in for 15 mins.

The thing I was most worried about was affecting our relationship or her confidence, but my horrible neighbours meant I had to act. I don't think it has affected our bond either because she is always very pleased to see me and happy what ever we're doing.

The intercom thing is quite a good idea, know an ex keeper who always hung a chain/rattly tin on his kennel door and tied a bit of string to it so if a dog started barking he could pull the string and rattle the tin/chain and that distraction was enough to stop the dogs from barking. Know another pro trainer with a remote door bell he uses in a similar way.

Even my water balloons are more a distraction than actually a physical punishment, now on the rare times i throw 1 u can hear the dog running for his sleeping box as soon as he sees the balloon coming over garage roof, doubt many of my balloons land anywhere near him now but the sight of them still seem's to work. I reckon 1 or 2 balloons might work/same as a hose fairly quickly if not a yapping dog at other times.

It doesn't sound like u have a noisey dog as such just 1 that has developed an annoying habit, that was the idea of suggesting leaving a bone in with it to try and break the habit and possibly the dog will forget about it barking

I think wot ur doing working in the garden and with the other dog out is a good thing but it may not solve ur problem as like kent? said it possibly doesn't link the 2 things

But like most things a decent trainer who can actually see ur problem will always be able to give better advice than someone over the net, the problem u will have is need to get ur trainer at ur house at/before ur dog starts to bark ie 6-7am.

Good luck with it. I take it the other dog is not bothering him, pushing him out sleeping box or pup wanting to play with other dog and it wants to stay in sleeping box?

I was asking a similar question a couple of months ago and solved the problem with a cup of water. My ESS would howl when I put her back in the kennel. When she started howling I would appear at the kennel and throw the cup of water at her then turn around and walk away. It has worked reasonably well. She now occasionally has a cry when she puts her self to bed, but it's once a fortnight for 4 seconds rather than every time she goes back in for 15 mins.

The thing I was most worried about was affecting our relationship or her confidence, but my horrible neighbours meant I had to act. I don't think it has affected our bond either because she is always very pleased to see me and happy what ever we're doing.

Yes, I remember that one. You had only picked the pup up on the previous Wednesday though? It's likely she was unsettled to start with but she might also have been noisy with the previous owner...who knows. One thing that would possibly help is a change of routine and a change of kennel position...by you taking the pup from the previous owner, this happened anyway. So, you have to ask yourself, what was it that made the biggest difference and I would hazard a guess it was the total change in routine and kennel that ultimately helped. All it's previously known triggers for bad habits from it's previous owner (whatever they were) were eliminated and eradicated in one fell swoop.