Cub 0 Tikka 1

Dougy

post-2987-0-01121700-1403742552_thumb.jpg

Just got in after a sit out for the last remaining cubs (on the grass) The keeper rang me at 05.45 in the morning, needless to say I was just dreaming about shooting at that time. He had seen this or a cub around the pens.

I put my call out and chilled for a while, watching the bunnies, then I heard a fox calling which made me wake up a bit, and started to get excited, aftrr all it had been a good 2.5 hrs. This cub ran into the call but as I was getting the archer on the scope it had had a wiff of the squealing box and decided it was not a tasty morsel after all and did a runner up a bloody steep hill. I caught it in the scope not quite at the top, (swine) I gave a whistle and it stopped, turned, then funnily enough dropped as the 53grain vmax hit the spot from around 150yards.

Tikka 22.250, the sako, s toooo heavyweight for walking up mountain,s with. Lol

Job done, cream crackered when I eventually found it, just a few yards from the top.

Not quite up to Simons standards but I'm getting there.

Bobby dazzler you :good::good:

Was it an adult calling?

That was my thought to, half way up the hill the cub called back, and i cant help wondering how such a small creature can put out such a volume. :exclamation:

I did have a few little problems trying to get a veiw over the thistles for a clear shot, and waiting for it to get into a gap between trees at the bottom in the valley. I measured the shot this morning at 170yds longer than i really wanted but it was a case of needs must, the keeper had given me the permission on my jewel in the crown permission so i really needed to show some results. :yes:

At first i thought i had missed it or worse still wounded it, after the shot you hear the thud, and kept on the target,its head lifted slightly then sank in the 1ft high grass and nettle surroundings. Just moments after having another scan around i checked the position again for a pick up later it was then an eye seemed to appear in the same location. I thought the worst and headed up the steep hill, looking round for a wounded fox in the dark (forgot my head lamp, muppet) aint easy. I did eventually find it, there was no way that was going to be surving that shot, it was a good one right on the spot. The eyes were rabbits by the way hopping through the grass not the parent calling, it was just something that goes through your mind i think.

attachicon.gifCub 2.jpg

Just got in after a sit out for the last remaining cubs (on the grass) The keeper rang me at 05.45 in the morning, needless to say I was just dreaming about shooting at that time. He had seen this or a cub around the pens.

I put my call out and chilled for a while, watching the bunnies, then I heard a fox calling which made me wake up a bit, and started to get excited, aftrr all it had been a good 2.5 hrs. This cub ran into the call but as I was getting the archer on the scope it had had a wiff of the squealing box and decided it was not a tasty morsel after all and did a runner up a bloody steep hill. I caught it in the scope not quite at the top, (swine) I gave a whistle and it stopped, turned, then funnily enough dropped as the 53grain vmax hit the spot from around 150yards.

Tikka 22.250, the sako, s toooo heavyweight for walking up mountain,s with. Lol

Job done, cream crackered when I eventually found it, just a few yards from the top.

Not quite up to Simons standards but I'm getting there.

Nice result mate.