Finding somewhere to shoot rabbits

Benji02

Hello, I'm sure everyone knows just how hard it is to find some land to shoot on, I would like guidance on the subject, I'm looking at shooting rabbits, I have a air rifle 11.5ft/lb(borrowing) and quite familiar with it, I would like some guidance on the best way to approach and get permission to shoot on land, there is a local golf course about 10 minuite walk from my house and when going for a stroll last night I must have seen at least 60 rabbits I would like to go ask permission from them but I don't know the best way to so this, I know it's a 50/50 chance as getting permission I got plenty of pictures and videos of the rabbits as proof of there numbers and of damage they are doing, but there is one big disadvantage for me, I'm only 17!! I have just joined basc as a jounior airgunning member (u21) as I thought it might give me a little help in getting permission, as it will look better for me having it as it comes with basic insurance ect... I will also be going to local farms to seek permission so I need all the help I can get!

Many thanks

Alex

hi it may help if you can talk to the head green keeper / groundsman introduce yourself and talk to him about the problem it may be he want's something doing. the final decision will probably be down to the club secretary but if you have the greenkeeper on side this will help and you will have to shoot at night or very early morning when the course is empty.

Good luck Roger

PS where are you located

At 17 years of age you can use an air rifle unsupervised on private land with permission, show the greenkeeper your photo's and your BASC insurance and let him/her know that you are willing to shoot early morning or late evening, ie, when the course is closed to members. Ask if any footpaths run through the course and if they have dog walkers in the evening, do people use it as a short cut home etc. Don't turn up in cammo gear but just normally dressed. I don't know where you are, inner city, rural etc but get to know the locals. My son and I started shooting by asking a friend who is a farmer, he said yes to his 200 acres, 2 years later we now have 4000 acres by word of mouth. People have asked us to shoot on their land because we behave properly, don't leave litter and are known in the community. If you can get one perm and do everything properly it's amazing how others will come. I wish you the very best of luck, ATB.

I can only agree with the above, I too started by keeping the rabbits down on my friends allotment.

I now have twelve perms. Including 'Biffa' waste sites. You will need to approach land owners in a professional mature manner.

Try the greenkeeper, with a letter , offering free pest control. Emphasise the positive points of the service you are offering.

Let them see your BASC insurance. And give them a 'Landline' number,if you have one.

But, If you are out there alone, let people know you are 'on site' , and stay alert. as you may not be

as alone as you think.

Good luck with your applications, If you are near Knutsford / Warrington, Cheshire , you are welcome come out with me to get

some experience. From, pre - shoot preparation, to preparing the quarry for cooking etc.

I have seen an increase in rabbits around a local hotel and I have offered to assist with keeping them under control as they have caused damage in the past but with all what I already do and have done for the hotel management I been told they will bare me in mind if required maybe that's a polite no but will have to wait and see

My Club Members have most of the Vermin control in my area - As Club contact I have often been asked for a suitable Shooter to look after

Air Gun Controled Vermin

Sure it's the case around the Country

Issue with Company sites is Health and safety Issues -

BOB/R

I live in a town in Northamptonshire I went to the golf club yesterday, smartly dressed and with my papers of insurance and just incase some permission slips, after searching for the owners or anyone working there I was approached by a golfer asking if they could help I asked if he knew where the owners or anyone who works there is and he said no they all go home about 3 as they are all quite laid back they just leave us to it, he then asked why so I explained, he told me to come back before 3pm during the week if I wanted to speak to them and said that the owners will probably let us, (me and my friend) so I am going to go back about 1 on Sunday as it's was raining all day today and is ment to tomorro and I have to walk there, hopefully all goes well and I will let you guys know how I get on, thanks for all the replys

wish me luck :D

Many thanks

Alex

Please note that if you get your permission you will be able to use the air rifle unsupervised at your age, but you will not be able to walk to the premises carrying it unless you are accompanied by someone over 21 years old. You can not have it in a public place on your own until you hit 18 years.....

Good news guys, went golf course to find no one up there, so rang the secutary, I only introduced myself and asked if I could arrange a time to meet him about a free rabbit control service and got asked to start straight away over the phone, got my permission slips signed and starting tonight for my first rabbit shoot :)

only got 2 rabbits the first night due to some kids on the golf course, but last night i got 4 but missed 3 within 2 hours, cant wait to get my new gun, will be much better than the one i have at the min, thanks for all the help with getting the permission to shoot, im so glad i have and if i do a good job might have a few other golf courses to shoot on as the greenkeeper is also the greenkeeper on another few local golf courses :)

• 4 weeks later...

Only just seen this thread ... If you're out at last light/semi darkness, or even full darkness, then a red torch mounted above your scope will greatly improve your chances, in my opinion. Rabbits don't see red at all well, you can scan around to see eyes, scope them to confirm target, and then a quick squeak usually makes them stand upright for a perfect shot.

I look after 2 camp sites near my home overrun with rabbits, in the past I have tried walking and stalking but the results were poor,very open ground and very nervous rabbits, so I changed tack, I set up a hide nearest to the largest concentration of burrows, get comfortable and wait, the last 4 visits have produced a total 58 rabbits using my sub 12 ftlbs air arms and in broad daylight,much to the owners delight, just moving to a new spot each time so not to overshoot them,Rabbits are super sensitive to sound, vibration through the ground and any scent on the wind, so get down wind, keep still and keep quiet.

The only tips I can give you are, know your weapon, know your prey and keep safe,only time and experience will improve your chances.

The rabbits are on a break now as the sites are full of campers, but as soon as its empty again I will resume my control, that is between decoying pigeons on the nearby farm, what a life !!! :yes::yes: