Did I ever tell you....

Underdog

just how much I love black powder guns? :yes:

Near 30yds I snook down to, 1&1/8oz of#5.

SAM_1093_zps2cdb19a6.jpg

Watch out for fires with black powder!

SAM_1109_zpsc7ae8f55.jpg

My hunting buddy.

SAM_1095_zps9a1ef1fd.jpg.

I got two rabbits, this one was a 30yd shot, I aimed off a touch hoping to clip it's head!

Eight #5 struck it! The wad is a thin card+thin leather soaked in olive oil+two more thin cards....that's it!

SAM_1112_zps42dd3491.jpg

I enjoyed wearing my old tweed jacket and being out in the rain, absolutely no one about :good:

Oh and I never pointed the gun at anyone and distinctly made a point to remember I am alone and and tried to not break it :good:

U :whistling:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a keen historian i should have known my love of anything histroical would transfer to my shooting so i bought a 28 bore ardessa hawken a few months ago, not used it a whole lot but am hooked on black powder guns now. saving the pennies at the moment to get a double barrel from henry kranks. was looking at a 12 bore but the 10 bore versions the same price which got me thinking... i contacted pedersoli who said their ok for steel (as long as a palstic wads used) and spoke to chris green at the welsh game fair the other day about his black poweer wildfowling experiences so ill be parting with my 28 bore and getting a 10 bore soon

excellent stuffing underdog, i can't wait till my hound is old enough to come out with me!

Bootiful little dog DW :good:

as a keen historian i should have known my love of anything histroical would transfer to my shooting so i bought a 28 bore ardessa hawken a few months ago, not used it a whole lot but am hooked on black powder guns now. saving the pennies at the moment to get a double barrel from henry kranks. was looking at a 12 bore but the 10 bore versions the same price which got me thinking... i contacted pedersoli who said their ok for steel (as long as a palstic wads used) and spoke to chris green at the welsh game fair the other day about his black poweer wildfowling experiences so ill be parting with my 28 bore and getting a 10 bore soon

I had a Peder 10g, it was a good gun, I shot my highest pheasant with it ever! They are choked and getting a plas wad past them is a pain. If that is what you try use a fibre wad wet with olive oil between plastic and powder other wise the heat will melt the plastic and ruin any chance of reloading!

Steel needs hi-vel....something that shotgun won't give! Bismuth or them other types closer to lead in nature do better and of course no plastic fantastic is needed!

Black powder front loaders do get in the blood and once visited you can only check out for a while!

My habit is getting bad now....I find I need a fix at least once a week and am constantly worried about supply :lol:

Bootiful little dog DW :good:

I had a Peder 10g, it was a good gun, I shot my highest pheasant with it ever! They are choked and getting a plas wad past them is a pain. If that is what you try use a fibre wad wet with olive oil between plastic and powder other wise the heat will melt the plastic and ruin any chance of reloading!

Steel needs hi-vel....something that shotgun won't give! Bismuth or them other types closer to lead in nature do better and of course no plastic fantastic is needed!

Black powder front loaders do get in the blood and once visited you can only check out for a while!

My habit is getting bad now....I find I need a fix at least once a week and am constantly worried about supply :lol:

to be honest id never thought of using a plas wad in a muxzzle loader, at the moment im using leather soaked in olive oil and it does the trick

the reason i looked at plas wad was because the guy in pedersoli who has in the past month emailed me quite a few times he is currently working on a series of load tests with different wads / toxic and non toxic loads and will be publishing them on their website later in the summer and he also pointed me at an american guys site who has used a double 10 peda for years and uses it for fowling using plas wads. ill post the links later when i get home, did make interesting reading.

my habbits not as bad as yuours, although i did try it on the clays... that was interesting, i had my mate who was on the trap telling me if id hit them as i couldnt see a damn thing with all the smoke :lol:

if youd seen me shoot youd know i have to be close to have any chance of hitting them :lol:

in fairness im not looking at buying the gun for fowling, i have a semi auto for that... i was looking at a double 12 for general shooting and thought been as the 10's the same price i may as well go for it... i can still run the smae loads as a 12 but also beef it up for bigger things, or to give me more of a chance of hitting small things

I am not sure about the plastic wads and steel shot in the BPML's. I think you might have a problem getting them down without damaging the cup and possibly exposing the steel to the barrel. Then the cleaning might also be interesting. As per normal UD a fantastic result and great pics :good: .

i wont try it on steel until i see the results on their website but if its a no go then its no big deal, ill still be buying the gun and using lead in it... would be lovely to have an outing on the foreshore but a half decent semi auto is so much more practical in the damp souroundings.. anmyway sorry to hijack your thread underdog... its lovely to see soemone using the muzzle loader as regular as you do :)

i wont try it on steel until i see the results on their website but if its a no go then its no big deal, ill still be buying the gun and using lead in it... would be lovely to have an outing on the foreshore but a half decent semi auto is so much more practical in the damp souroundings.. anmyway sorry to hijack your thread underdog... its lovely to see soemone using the muzzle loader as regular as you do :)

Any front stuffer speak aint hijacking in my opinion :good:

http://my.ilstu.edu/~taparme/steel.htm

Edited by Underdog

At one time i read* a lot about steel shot and alternatives in muzzle loaders. From pretty much every report/ thread/ article i read i got the following. Loading with lead substitutes should be fine in the modern guns, in the older Damascus barreled guns to prevent damage to the softer metals ensure the use of shot cups to separate the shot from the barrel wall. Keep an eye on the weights of your shot charges when loading lead substitutes and steel. Keep the ranges conservative ( even by muzzle loading standards ).

I am sure i read an article where a guy made up a load as follows - Powder charge. Wad. Home rolled paper shot cup with 3mm walls and pressed paper/ glue mix plugging the bottom, light load of steel shot, over shot card.

The shot cup he had made was supporting the shot down the barrel but being ripped apart at the muzzle.

* Read only, not yet tested - will test when i restock on powder and other consumables.