Did I ever tell you....

Underdog

Good to hear! - Anyone else who does not shoot black powder reading this must think its really complicated and time consuming - it really is not at all. Powder, wad. shot. over shot card or wad. Boom. Is all you really need.

Some of us ( me ) just like fiddling with things and generally making them over complex.

Edited by demonwolf444

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you got your explosive cert for black powder yet?

I can finally say with absolute glee that by next week i will have ( all being well ). The FEO rang me about five weeks ago about coming around, and i said wait till i have the storage sorted, said it should take a couple of days, but then i was busy and then i was procrastinating like a professional and so ive only now today got around to making it, Ive been putting off doing in for the effort and minor expense of putting together a box for some time, however found myself with some time i didn't know i would have off this afternoon, got to the wood yard, got some wood and screws for less than 20 quid ive put one together that i should hope is suitable - milk bottle box type thing. Paints drying on it now, so will give the FEO a ring tomorrow to organize a visit.

A friend decided muzzle loading was not for him and gave me his remaining pryo in exchange for a box of carts, but pryo really is not the same but ive been using that in the meantime. I need to pick up some more caps and shot. Guy in doncaster selling cheap shot so will have to make a trip there and then its to kranks for my caps and powder. Then i'll be all set up to go again.

i know that with licensing, storeage and handling BP is a hastle compared to pyrodex or the like but for me its worth it for the authenticity and im sure youll agree .. and for you 'carefull' northerners its cheaper :)

i know that with licensing, storeage and handling BP is a hastle compared to pyrodex or the like but for me its worth it for the authenticity and im sure youll agree .. and for you 'carefull' northerners its cheaper :)

bye ek lad aye...what about me wallet.....lol.

It is just better stuff bro. Less corrosive than pyro. Certainly easier to control. I think easier to clean somehow....not that it is hard!

Also when that itch for a flinchlock gets to much it can become fertile!

;-)

Yeh one of the main things is when i get some money put aside i will be either making or buying a flinching device.. despite the fact I've never actually hit anything with them. Visit is on Wednesday, have not chained the box to the wall or anything but can easily do so if required, but there seems to be some confusion between forces on what is needed. Pyrodex is an easy way to get shooting them quickly but it is a horror to clean ( heck it would make a hell of a browning solution if desolved in hot water ) tbh i can't wait to be shot of it.

good luck on wednesday,

my visit was pretty much identical to my SGC application although he did say he had to check on a couple of things before his visit.. one was i was the first person in the south wales police area to request the EC to use black for hunting as all other applications where re-eneactment so he wanted to check it was ok (thought it very strange i was the first) the second thing was when they phoned to arrange my visit i mentioned i painted the exterior of my box as the wood was a bit rough as id not bought it but found it left by builders next door to me (and i called northerners tight earlier) but on checking they found it was fine

one thing i didnt do for my visit was secure it, he said just fix it with a bike lock or something siliar so it was not easily picked up and carried away. as i have it in a spare bedroom lined with wardrobes i said id fix it to one of them and he was happy, happy enough not to want to come back and check it before the cert was granted. as id forgotten to put anything in the box to secure it when making it i glued a false bottom in one compartment about 2 inches up and drilled a pair of holes in this new hidden compartment through the side to feed the wire of the bike lock through.

Edited by kiffy

i was going to do the same but decided against painting the inside.. wont make any differen really as when the paints dry its just as flamable as the wooden box but i guess its unusual, or at least in my neck of the woods it is as he had to check

i had heard or read the same which is probably why id forgotten about building anything into the box and it makes sence, after all a wooden box will be easy to break into even if its bolted and chained down and the idea of being able to easily lob it out the window before i i jump after it screaming like a little girl is quite appealing so both the lock on my box and the bike lock are combination and i put a hook on the side of the box with the key for the window lock so one way or another if theres a fire the good stuffs going straight out the window

i had heard or read the same which is probably why id forgotten about building anything into the box and it makes sence, after all a wooden box will be easy to break into even if its bolted and chained down and the idea of being able to easily lob it out the window before i i jump after it screaming like a little girl is quite appealing so both the lock on my box and the bike lock are combination and i put a hook on the side of the box with the key for the window lock so one way or another if theres a fire the good stuffs going straight out the window

I think it is kinder on the fire services that way!

How does one start front stuffing?

Genuine query.

Dirty sod!

Muzzle loading shotguns can be held on your shotgun certificate. A muzzle loading shotgun can be any style of gun with a smooth bore, and are usually either flintlock or percussion weapons.

post-24172-0-01677200-1404561214_thumb.jpg

Here is a reproduction of a 54 caliber hawken rifle by Ardesa the 54 caliber barrel is smooth bored, which makes this a smooth rifle. ( IE rifle design and sights with a smooth bored barrel ) which allows it to be put on your shotgun ticket, it is just about the gauge equivalent of a 28 gauge. ( this was my first muzzle loader ( now Kiffys )

post-24172-0-86730500-1404561449_thumb.jpg

This is a 14 bore original double percussion muzzle loader which i shoot now. The difficulty with originals is they are almost always out of proof therefore they can not be sold. So to be traded they are usually off ticket as section 58 weapons, then you put them on ticket and shoot them at your own risk. You have to decide if your desire to shoot them is lesser or greater than the value of your life, is there is always a chance they will blow up when you shoot them. To sell them you would have to remove them from your ticket and sell them on as sect 58.

The easiest and safest way it to shoot reproduction shotguns, pedesoli reproductions arguably being the best they are relatively inexpensive and are made in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

For ease and for simplicity i would recommend a single barrel reproduction percussion gun to a first timer as only so much can go wrong.

Once you have your gun you have to decide if you will use real black powder or black powder substitutes. NEVER USE SMOKELESS POWDERS.

THIS IS WHY.

post-24172-0-77928500-1404563511_thumb.jpg

To buy and store black powder you need an explosives certificate which is free and suitable storage. Black powder is easier and cheaper than the substitutes, generally triple 7 is the best substitute but you need to convert your loads by using less of the powder ( i do not fully understand ) Pyrodex is the easiest to use as you can create like for like black powder loads by loading the same volume of pyrodex ( not weight ) but its about 44 quid per 16 oz tub. ( you don't need any paper work or storage for pyrodex or triple seven.

In a flintlock you can only use black powder, most of the substitutes will not ignite in the pan of a flintlock.

once you have your gun and black powder buy some shots and caps - you need to create a load. The easiest way of doing this is to find out the bore size. lets say its close to a 12 bore. Then the easiest way is to empty all of the shot out of a 12 bore 1oz cartridge into an empty cartridge. Cut the empty cartridge at the height where the shot comes up to - you now have a scoop for 1oz of shot. If you are using black powder and pyrodex you can use this same scoop to get an equal volume load for a basic 50 : 50 shot / powder load.

Take your gun, shot, powder, wadding and caps ( don't forget the caps ) to where ever you go shooting and shoot off two caps to clear the barrel and nipple channel. Next use your cut cartridge as a scoop to get one flat level scoop of black powder or pyrodex and pour it down the barrel. Its good practice to angle the barrel away from you so if for any reason the charge ignites because of an ember in the barrel; you won't burn your face off. Next use your ramrod to ram the wad on top of the powder ( you can buy wads, or use anything you like, ive used dried horse manure and even leafs before. ) Pour your shot down the barrel. and place an over shot card over the shot with your ramrod, or use more wadding. You don't to really ram the wads home just seat them on top of the powder.

once loaded place the gun on half cock and put another cap on the nipple. When you come to shoot go to full cock, swing through normally as with any other shotgun and fire.

I found i missed in front a heck of a lot to start with because i was swinging through wildly as the ignition seems slow, shoot as normal with a percussion gun so long as you keep swinging after you have pulled the trigger you should be fine. If you stop swinging or flinch when you pull the trigger you will miss. Modern guns run about 1500 FPS BP guns run at about 1100 - 1200 FPS so it doesn't make a lot of difference in the time it takes for the shot to get there, so you don't need to compensate with ridiculous lead so long as you continue swinging while you pull the trigger.

Hope this helps, if i have cocked up or miss stuff out the other BP boys will come and clear up for me.

James.

unlkike some on here, in particular demonwolf i have no ability to do anything with the older ones so buying would be my only route

mine love started late last year when after seeing photos of demonwolfs lovely looking ardessa, in particular the one above witrh it on a log so when i saw it for sale i HAD to buy it and am so glad i did, it may be a 28 bore but itll still take a 32g load of number 6... as DW said shotgun cert so no hastles with purchase or ownership... when i got it i had no idea what to do with wads, shot, loading etc but i asked here and got all the help i needed.

the only hastle i had was of my own making as i wanted black powder so actually had the gun months before i used it. if you cant be ***** with that then get pyrodex or 777 and some wads from the many places selling them its that simple

if your thinking of getting one then all i can say is do it.... they may be more work than a regular shotgun and no where near as practical for many but theres something very special about muzzle loading... so much so that even after not using my ardessa that much i am looking at getting another one. the unfortunate part of it is as i am struggling to part with a couple of guns im selling i may have to part with my ardessa to do it as i dont have space in my safe and really dont have space for another one or a bigger one

Good writing DW :good:

The ember down the barrel thing is a little played up, I never had it happen to me. It started from being advised from not dumping straight from a flask, so the whole flask never went bang in the hand.

Most guns fit between the legs with the hammers pointing behind you, this tends to incline the muzzle/s away from you.

Being fed up with huge shot numbers and head of game to deal with is what got me started, hunting I find far more enjoyable and any critter taken with flint or caplock is worth several with what I term an all to easy cartridge gun.

Yes sir I love a good decoying session with a conventional gun but in all honesty it would be a hard choice for me and often is as to if I take the muzzleloader or a cartridge gun to the barley!

The flames and smoke, the smell, the soot. The simple tools and making of tools, no wads just thin cards, crafting powder measures from what ever, stitching shot flasks from old leather.

All those ducks and pheasants shot over many years with a cartridge gun pale into insignificance compared.

Oh and I always understood it was less than 1000fps! But not sure, and don't care :)

Even today after a day with my wife the itch is strong, not for the 22 or 357, the conventional shotguns, no, but the muzzleloaders!

U :good: