Opinions please on choosing a .308win rifle.

Ginger_Swingers

So, with my FEO visit concluded I'm hoping to have my FAC come through in the next couple of weeks. I have land on which I can shoot (permission from a local farmer which is cleared for at least .243 so I'll check but I assume will be cleared for .308). I also am a member of a target shooting club locally and we have access to ranges up to 600yds etc. I am looking to buy a rifle that will do a little of everything and have decided I'd quite like something short (20-24") and with synthetic stock and blued action and varmint barrel. So, I've narrowed down my choices to the following but would appreciate a little input to see if there's anything I've overlooked or something I haven't considered...

Option 1) Remington 700 SPS Varmint or Tactical. Cheapest of the three I'm looking at and with a huge selection of aftermarket bits and bobs available. Plenty about too.

Option 2) Howa 1500 stealth hunter combo. Great kit, great value and comes ready to go with scope and bipod etc (ok quality for now) Flimsy hogue stock is the issue.

Option 3) Tikka T3 Varmint or Tactical. Fair bit more expensive to buy but the rifle has really great quality and accuracy out of the box according to numerous reviews.

I'd always liked the Remy but recent quality control issues have kinda dampened my ardour on that one, the Howa seems to have all the required bits and a decent reputation bar the stock but the Tikka is a class above if what I've read is correct both in terms of quality and accuracy and may be worth pushing the boat out for. Ideally my budget will be to keep it between £1k-1.3k :/

I've already picked out my .22LR semi and .17HMr rifles for the bunnies etc and tbh this .308 will probably be used 95% of the time on a range but it would be nice if it could do a little of everything just in case.

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

Mick

Mate has the T3 Tactical in .223. Gorgeous quality piece of kit.

From those you've selected I'd have the T3. Not only is it the better rifle (in my opinion) but also the most desirable of those you've selected and the one which will hold its resale value better.

No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I have a T3 in .308 but it is a Lite. I can certainly vouch for accuracy and build quality- some people complain about the mag being plastic but it just makes it lighter and less likely to rust, and has never given me any problems. If your budget will stretch that far then go for it!

Howa have different stocks in their "dream it, build it" (or something like that) offer. I am thinking about one in 223 with a GRS stock although its about £300+ more than the rubber stocked combo. I will only be using it for target shooting so the weight isnt an issue. problems with remington 700 triggers have also put me off them.

I went for the howa 1500 24" varmint in stainless 1/10 twist, with a houge stock an AI mag conversion and tactical bolt knob,this was a kit and came with the sonic 45 mod ,bipod, picaninny rail ,scope rings and a niko stirling illuminated scope. Just shot it and started load development,getting sub moa with factory loads and realoads are better :-D. Think it weighs around 5.5kg. I got this for mainly target use with the intention of deer stalking at a later date.The tactical bolt knob and AI mag conversion was extra but great. When founds permit I will be getting another stock bell & carlson or similar. I like mine and it shoots if I do my bit.

Edited by Albert 888

I have had both Remmy 700 and Tikkas and without a doupt the Tikka wins hands down. Unless your incredibly lucky with a 700 you will need to spend more than the price difference between the two to make it shoot as well as a Tikka. The Tikka will also have a much better resale value, had to almost give my 700 away.

I have had both Remmy 700 and Tikkas and without a doupt the Tikka wins hands down. Unless your incredibly lucky with a 700 you will need to spend more than the price difference between the two to make it shoot as well as a Tikka. The Tikka will also have a much better resale value, had to almost give my 700 away.

I agree too.

The only Remmy 700 I would consider now is a seventies or eighties BDL! The T3 Lite is a peach of a rifle, the trigger is a doddle to lighten if needed without compromising sear engagement.

The Howa are very good too.

Remmy are out the loop nowa days for me!

Well I thank you all for the input, it kinda saddens me but also confirms that the Remy is a choice that I should avoid. I will concentrate more on the Tikka and Howa, if I can find a varmint barreled Tikka within budget that allows for the extras like a reasonable scope and bipod then that'll be the gun for me, if that's going to be a stretch too far then I'll go for a Howa and look at upgrading a little bit down the line when funds allow. Thanks all, much appreciated.

Put the Howa in a laminate stock IMO. The Tikka is a fine rifle for what it is non the less. I love composite stocks like McMillan but hate injection moulded plastic it lacks stability, repeatability and looks to my mind though you can get the Tikka in a laminate so?

I owned a 700 BDL and really enjoyed shooting with it, and consider it to be one of the best looking rifles around.

I didn't want to put a 'scope on it as that made it ugly and ungainly, and I shoot with two mates who both own Sako and T3 rifles, and just had to acknowledge that in my opinion they were the better rifles. I can't understand why Remington never made a factory fitted magazine option available, but there you go.

I have no experience of the Howa so can't comment on them, but traded my 700 in for the T3 Varmint model with synthetic stock. Best move I ever made from a CF rifle point of view. It is a fabulous gun.

Edited by Scully

I owned a 700 BDL and really enjoyed shooting with it, and consider it to be one of the best looking rifles around.

I didn't want to put a 'scope on it as that made it ugly and ungainly, and I shoot with two mates who both own Sako and T3 rifles, and just had to acknowledge that in my opinion they were the better rifles. I can't understand why Remington never made a factory fitted magazine option available, but there you go.

I have no experience of the Howa so can't comment on them, but traded my 700 in for the T3 Varmint model with synthetic stock. Best move I ever made from a CF rifle point of view. It is a fabulous gun.

Do you still shoot on open sights B)

Do you still shoot on open sights B)

Had to read my post a couple of times to realise what I'd written. Sorry, I meant moderator, not 'scope! :blush:

A bloke I know had a BDL in .270. Stunning looking gun in much better condition than mine, but he'd put a mod' on the end and it looked awful. The only drawback to not having a mod' was the gun tended to jump on the bipod under recoil. I like the 700, it's a great gun, and I certainly wouldn't feel outclassed with one, and I think I'm correct in saying at one time, alongside the Winchester 70, it was a best selling rifle, but having a drop out magazine as factory standard does have it's advantages, especially at night.

My 700 shoots sub 1/2 MOA it's a walnut stocked sporter good German optics.

I've had a few and personally love them only other thing if look at is a tikka but a 595 not T3.

I've got a 595 in .308. Its a wonderful rifle, I can't imagine getting rid of it. I have used it on the range for a bit of informal target shooting. As a hunting rifle its as accurate a rilfe as you will find and it isn't particularly ammo fussy but it doesn't have the weight of barrel for serious target use. I suppose it could be rebarrelled with a varmint tube but that would spoil it as a stalking rifle. I haven't even threaded it because its got the original iron sights and its so soft recoiling and well balanced I don't want to change it. The T3 action feels tinny in comparison to the old 595, in fact to my mind the whole rifle doesn't quite have the same quality feel or look but they shoot superbly and the triggers break like glass. Hard to beat for the money I should say.

There are 595s and 595s. The earlier ones with proper metal bottom irons and metal mags were real good. The only perfect one raggy hole DSC1 target I ever saw was shot with one in a 30-06. I don't think there is a heap in it between the later 595 with the plastic bits and a T3 to be frank but the bits are a lot harder to get and dearer, I was told a totally silly price when I thought of getting another mag for my old 595 even the dealer spluttered on the phone to the importer / distibuter when he got the news.

The 700 just has current issues in QC I had a PSS than shot 1/4moa to 600 yards and moa to 1000 five or six years back, so they can still turn out a good one I am sure, though yes a neighbour did get a brand new .300 winmag in a 700 the other year with a barrel that was only hand tight to the action, that stunningly bad for Remington and out proof house!

There are 595s and 595s. The earlier ones with proper metal bottom irons and metal mags were real good. The only perfect one raggy hole DSC1 target I ever saw was shot with one in a 30-06. I don't think there is a heap in it between the later 595 with the plastic bits and a T3 to be frank but the bits are a lot harder to get and dearer, I was told a totally silly price when I thought of getting another mag for my old 595 even the dealer spluttered on the phone to the importer / distibuter when he got the news

The 595 was never available in 30-06. The 695 was.

595s have never had a metal trigger plate/magazine well assembly. The older M55, however, did.

The 595 was never available in 30-06. The 695 was.

595s have never had a metal trigger plate/magazine well assembly. The older M55, however, did.

is that right the owner told me it was a 595 delux but you could be correct in the numbers changing with action length, though it was certainly 30-06 . I owned a 595 myself and was looking at changing the mag and bottom iron so I am going off the fact that mine being the last run of 595s had plastic and a friends slightly earlier one had metal. I suspect your right the M55 did also have steel and I am not good at recall of numbers and prefer names for guns and cars it gets me all muddled up. It seems most earlier design guns were made better in the past, a sad fact of accountants taking over from engineers is the drawing rooms

is that right the owner told me it was a 595 delux but you could be correct in the numbers changing with action length, though it was certainly 30-06 . I owned a 595 myself and was looking at changing the mag and bottom iron so I am going off the fact that mine being the last run of 595s had plastic and a friends slightly earlier one had metal. I suspect your right the M55 did also have steel and I am not good at recall of numbers and prefer names for guns and cars it gets me all muddled up. It seems most earlier design guns were made better in the past, a sad fact of accountants taking over from engineers is the drawing rooms

I know what you mean. I loose track of all the numbers. A mate of mine has a Tikka in .338 WM. I thought it was a 595 and so did he, but its an m95 or a m65 or 55 or something or other. M65 rings a bell. Is that the long action version of the 55? I don't know. Sounds like a motorway in the midlands anyway. Action-wise it seems identical to my 595 in weight and feel and quality, except its a long action obviously. The only discernible difference is that his stock appears to be made of a different, lighter-coloured and heavier timber, which is no bad thing for a .338. As Sako 7mm says mine (which definitely is a 595) has a plastic trigger plate and well and my mates .338 is all steel. But plastic or no, I wouldn't swap my 595 for a Remy 700.

Edited by Gimlet