12 bore slugs

I've got no idea if we can buy 12 bore slugs in the UK. I would like to know. I've got a SBE and I wojuld like to shoot slugs even if I didn't buy the slugs barrel for it. I could remove the choke anyway. I've been on different website in the UK and I've never seen any slugs for sale nor have I in a gun shop here.

I've got authority for slugs, Practical Shotgun is the only 'good reason' I've heard of in the UK. I know that people use slug for boar on the continent but I've not heard of it in Blighty.

Oh and you can use slug with choke, got to be the right type of slug though.

>i dont understand why having slugs in your shotty isso controled?

Because un-fortunately there are many idiots out there who could injure someone with them un-wittingly.

They are a big ole lump of lead and carry a fair bit of energy. I would say at under 100yrds they are probably more powerful than a good few centrefire calibres, hence why they are sec.1 I would imagine! And don't forget you dont need to show any need or belong to any clubs to get a shotty.

That chap recently who took his fingers off with his shotty, imagine if it had had slugs in it. Damage to him would have been the same but then there are two lumps of lead weighing 30 odd grammes going into orbit at about 1300 FPS. They won't lose their energy as quickly as the same weight of bird shot

A 12g slug was the ONLY round that could penetrate bullet proof glass on a recent program i was watching and they even used FMJ AK47 rounds as well as others like 9mm and they only Chipped and starred the glass.

The Solid slug had enough energy not only to go THROUGH the glass but had enough to blow the back of the glass a further 40 yards down range :)

THAT is some crazy stopping power and THATS why they are Section 1 :D

Shotguns with SG shot were used in jungle warfare and were a great combo as a handfull of shot has more chance of ONE reaching it's target than a single round deflecting off the undergrowth.

There is ALSO a fin stabalising round used by the Yanks i would love to try out but alas i can't EVER see that being let in to the General UK mainstream shotgun permit.

The 12g round has more than enough energy at 30 to 50 yards to go through a man and possibly even another 1 or 2 standing behind him depending on range and other factors.

LG

Over at Bisley they do a few things each year one being the pheonix, but they are trying to plan a more regular exercise, using shotguns with slugs "practical shotgun" shooting targets and running boar targets etc.

They also sell a few types of slugs but from what i know boxed in 200. not your normal 25.

But yes you must have shotgun cert and a FAC with it stated on there that you can have slugs i belive because although its a shotgun soon as it has a slug cartridge loaded it becomes Sect 1.

It also has to be in the Terms and Conditions for use as practical shotgun.

As for power well they can smash straight through a engine block and end up inside the car, i once saw this on the net.

gsmith

Slugs are available in boxes of 5 and as has been stated are section 1. The shotgun itself, unless it holds more than 3 carts is not section 1 and does not become section 1 just because you put a slug in it. Like everything else fac related the use of slugs will be conditioned on your certificate.

Charlie

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up an old post chaps, but does anyone know if a 12g slug can be fired from a multi choke gun? I have a silver pigeon, which is magnum proofed so should take the pressure. I assume the slug is held in a plastic wad, which will pass through a multi choke the same as it would a fixed type?

12 gauge slugs, awesome!!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot6.htm

:/:):lol:

That test is the most poorly conducted testing i have ever seen !!!!!!!!

By the time the shotgun slug was fired at it the glass had taken 7 bullet from various calibres, just becasue damage cannot be seen (i.e cracks) doesn't mean its not there !!!!!!!!!

Its like saying OK i'll let mike tyson punch you 7 times and then a two year old child punches you and Knocks you out, it must be the strongest kid in the world , Absolute bull...

In no way am i saying that a slug isn't powerful, far from it ...Its just that this test was pure kack...

No FAC yet HD. The reason for asking is that I can buy them at the gun club for use on site. As long as they're fired or returned, not taken home, I can get them on the club cert. They have a pump action which for me (being a shortass) has too long a reach to the fore end making it uncomfortable to use. I was wondering if I could use my gun to fire them instead? Someone has pointed out barrel crossover as a problem although I could use just the top barrel possiblly? Maybe I'll get a cheap auto one day. Not everyone is out to break the rules you know, and as I don't know about the wad thing I thought I'd ask you chaps because I forgot to mention it before I left the club! <_<

I thought I'd seen them like that somewhere! I don't think my gun would be the best for firing them even if it can, I'd have two aim points depending on which barrel I was firing :lol: Can they be used in a multi choke? That's what I want to know! I've searched everywhere and can't find a mention of it, so assume it's ok. I'll ask the smith before I actually fire one though, assumption isn't a good thing at those pressures <_<

Just found this on the web:-

"A barrel for shooting slugs does require some special considerations. Iron sights or a low magnification telescopic sight are needed for accuracy, rather than the bead sight used with shot, and an open choke is best. Since most current production shotguns come equipped with sighting ribs and interchangeable choke tubes, converting a standard shotgun to a slug gun can be as simple as attaching clamp-on sights to the rib and switching to a skeet or cylinder choke tube"

I take that to mean a multi choke can fire slugs, but my gun wont do it that accurately without modification. At least it doesn't cause any safety problems, which was my main concern.

• 1 month later...