HORSE FLYS !!!!!!!!!

Danoi99

Out and about the other day and got absolutely devoured by Horse Flys. They were so damn annoying. I have never seen so many around before, is it something to do with the weather?

Will insect repellent work? This little **** didn't want to hop off after they had been dealt a sharp slap. I was dying for a pee at one point but didn't have the bottle to get him out for fear if it getting nibbled (usually up for that scenario, but not by Horse Flys matey).

On a serious note though, anybody got good tips for keeping them at bay?

Thanks

Life Systems Expedition Insect Repellent - 100% neat DEET. I use it in Kazakhstan and it keeps everything away! I also use it pigeon shooting and find it works brilliantly. Make sure you follow the instructions!! Things like Jungle Formula just don't work for me.

Camping shops such as Milletts, Field & Trek, Cotswold Outdoor and Blacks all stock it.

Good luck.

B06

I use Xpel Tropical Formula. It's about £1:89 and you can get it from ALDI it's in a green spray bottle and it's last up to four hours so just reapply :) brilliant stuff I used to get bit all the time by them but put this stuff on and didn't get bit once.

I think I would rather be bitten that doused in this http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/deet3.htm

Did you actually read the article????? There is nothing in it that substantiates such concern on your part!!! All it really says it is very effective, don't drink it or bathe kids in it and there is no definitively documented problems. Sounds like a winner to me.

I use Lincoln fly repellant for horses,yes May be risky but I don't use it often and if it keeps flys off a horses face/**** then it's good enough for me.Apart from kicking out at people now and again,I've noticed no serious side effects.

A lot of the guys who fish for sea trout swear by Avon skin so soft to deter midges.

Don't know if it would work on horse flys?

All I do know is what ever I have used in the past the midges just lick it off then bite me )-:

Quite annoying .

Life Systems Expedition Insect Repellent - 100% neat DEET. I use it in Kazakhstan and it keeps everything away! I also use it pigeon shooting and find it works brilliantly. Make sure you follow the instructions!! Things like Jungle Formula just don't work for me.

Camping shops such as Milletts, Field & Trek, Cotswold Outdoor and Blacks all stock it.

Good luck.

B06

I bought some of this a few days back on your recommendation.

Cost just over a fiver from Go Outdoors.

Since buying it I have been outside all day everyday amongst the damned horse flies and up until today I hadn't been bitten once. This morning i must have killed nearly 20 of them but none bit me.

Then this afternoon I got bitten on my hand. Didn't see what did it but there were a lot of horseflies about.

All in all I would say only being bitten once since buying it isn't so bad. If I get bitten again I may even take the stuff out of the sealed packet and actually use some. :D

Avon skin so soft is used by loads of Scottish keepers/stalkers and our finest the SAS !!!!

cheap and it contains NO deet ! deet is a very bad thing and causes long term health problems if used to often.

personally I just chain smoke.....tobacco smoke kills everything !! including me ! :sad1:

Avon skin so soft is used by loads of Scottish keepers/stalkers and our finest the SAS !!!!

cheap and it contains NO deet ! deet is a very bad thing and causes long term health problems if used to often.

personally I just chain smoke.....tobacco smoke kills everything !! including me ! :sad1:

I'm with you on the fags but gave up long ago! As for skin so soft...I've used it for donkeys years climbing in Glencoe and Lochaber, have to say over the last year or two it's been nothing like as good at repelling midges as it used to be.

Deet is also very good at taking the finish off , your pretty leather gun sling, so be careful with it.

Skin so soft is an oil film , that the little blighters , cannot push their proboscis through to get your blood.

I use the Aldi repellent and 'after bite', and it seems to work for me.

But, the missus being 'Ginger', just gets bitten no matter what she wears. Like a rusty fly strip really. :lol:

I have a gadget I brought a couple of years ago called a "thermacell" , uses small butane cartriges that you find in women's hair straighteners and felt pads impregnated with something or other , it worked against midges and the like in Scotland a few years back and will get another testing tomorrow when we reach arran . It would be great for sitting in a hide where wind is minimal but pretty cack if you are moving about