looking for advice , thinking of buying a pump action gun for pigeon, vermin and fowling. I own a Beretta ultra lite and looking for something for the rough stuff.

My Friends dont rate the pump action , was looking at winchester and remington what do you guys think?

They're all good. I currently have three, a Winchester Model 12, a Winchester 1300 XTR and a Mossberg 500. In the past I've also owned a synthetic Remington 870 which I should never have sold (bought it for nephew and he went and sold the sodden' thing!) as they very slick handling guns. I love 'em all, so try as many as possible and take your choice.

I have a number from modern like the supernova, to the budget - the Mossberg 500 and the classic - winchester 1897 and Ithica M37.

If I was buying any new pump tomorrow as a general purpose gun (not for PSG) right now it would be one of the brand new Browning Pump Shptguns (BPS) on gun* at the moment.

I have a number from modern like the supernova, to the budget - the Mossberg 500 and the classic - winchester 1897 and Ithica M37.

If I was buying any new pump tomorrow as a general purpose gun (not for PSG) right now it would be one of the brand new Browning Pump Shptguns (BPS) on gun* at the moment.

Shoot, I'd love a BPS to go with my Ithaca, but I can only find Fac versions.....

Remy 870, classic gun, will last a life time, and good to shoot, probably won more Major clay shoots than most folks know. Ultra reliable and over 5 million have been sold....

Got to agree, love my wingmaster.

Slight correction on your figures - ' On April 13, 2009, the ten millionth Model 870 was produced, and the 870 holds the record for best-selling shotgun in history.[5]

One of those if it aint broke don't fix it things.

Got to agree, love my wingmaster.

Slight correction on your figures - ' On April 13, 2009, the ten millionth Model 870 was produced, and the 870 holds the record for best-selling shotgun in history.[5]

One of those if it aint broke don't fix it things.

Love mine too, superb gun, and only 36 years old :D

Thanks for advice :) Found a Remington 870 new for 500 is that roughly the normal price??

Is that for a Wingmaster or express? I wouldn't bother with an 870 if it's an express, would only go for a wingmaster. Otherwise would get an Mossberg 500. In fact if you weren't bothered about build quality (ie forend rattle) get the Mossberg 500 anyway. Cheap, lots of aftermarket parts, easy to get spares, just as reliable as anything else, tang mounted safety, better slide release location, twin extractors, you can replace the ejector DIY unlike the Remington.... Best of all it has no lifter so it's a dream to reload.

What is your budget, do you want new or second hand.

As already mentioned if budget isn't too much of a concern the BPS is fantastic.

Edited by Markbrowning

The Brazilian copy of the 870 is good too...trying not to buy one nearby...trying...its on the gunwatch site for about 175

+1 on these aka CBC 586. Really solidly built. I know of 2 types- the 586 & 586.2 , the 2nd one having twin extractors, slightly more reliable on a varied diet.

I had one and really liked it, it was fussy sometimes with poor extraction on some cartridge types. Haven't seen a 586.2 here in the uk yet, but if I do, I think I have to add it to the box. Solid gun.