Rabbit droppings

30-6

Noticed on two fields next to each other - one has wheat - one has been cut for silage, all in the "hot spots" there are considerable amounts of droppings.

The black, newer ones are obvious, but as mentioned there are lighter, straw coloured ones in copious amounts. So does this mean there are lots of rabbits or just a few and the droppings have built up ?

How long do they take to biodegrade, is there any way of ageing them type of thing ?

Its quite easy when you know how. If they are chewey and stick to your teeth and taste like wet grass smells, they are under an hour old, as they dry out you find the flavour fades. over the space of a week they dry and taste like Ryvita. Its just a matter of calibrating your taste buds to work out what stage they are at.

Taste is the only way to be really sure :whistling:

The pale grassy straw ones are older, but they do take a while to break down. If there's a lot rain they disintegrate quicker.

Edit: pipped by seconds!

Edited by Paul T

Taste is the only way to be really sure :whistling:

The pale grassy straw ones are older, but they do take a while to break down. If there's a lot rain they disintegrate quicker.

Edit: pipped by seconds!

Looks like this may be a Yorkshire thing

be careful trying this in the winter months as the cold frosty conditions will keep them fresh a lot longer and you may find you are still getting that fresh grass taste even when they are a few days old,

colin

That reminds me. Winter droppings make a good substitute for sloes if you don't have any growing near you but make sure you wait for the first frost before adding them to your Gin,

Rabbits eat there own poo, the lighter ones you see have probably been ingested for the 2nd time. They do this to extract more nutrients from the 1st time round food/grass they eat and also to stabilize or increase the bacteria in there intestine. :good:

Did you know that rabbits cannot vomit :yes:

Just for the record, this doesn't work with dogs

that's strange as i find fox's is fine and a great way of telling what they are taking ie,

if it taste of chicken then its raiding the chicken pen,

if it taste of duck then watch your ponds

if it's rabbit then leave it be as it's helping you with the rabbit problem

Colin

Noticed on two fields next to each other - one has wheat - one has been cut for silage, all in the "hot spots" there are considerable amounts of droppings.

The black, newer ones are obvious, but as mentioned there are lighter, straw coloured ones in copious amounts. So does this mean there are lots of rabbits or just a few and the droppings have built up ?

How long do they take to biodegrade, is there any way of ageing them type of thing ?

I bet you wish you had never asked. LOL

Come on someone should know this, I'm starting to feel a bit guilty for my flippant post. Paul T, you're no better, I bet you started to reply before my reply appeared on screen.

I've tried googling it but can only find how to identify what they've been eating and surprisingly how good the manure you make from rabbit droppings is.