Ferreting

rabbit hunter

Was out ferreting today, wasnt a bad day. Started on a nice open set, 18-holer, netted it all up, with my hemp nets, STARTED RAINING. but it soon stopped, it was just showers all day. Entered ferret about 9:15AM, come 9:30 she hadnt shown face. She started showing herself at holes but quickly popping back in. It reminded me of a few weeks ago when she was doing the same, and i thought she was playing, but now realise she is probably just coming out to see if the rabbit is out. So - thinking she was playing - i started lifting my nets about 9:50 and started locating my ferret - she was moving - 4 foot down, but it was a sandy set. Next thing i knew, rabbit bolted. Thinking of putting nets back on, but I didnt. Another rabbit came out!! I thought "gonna be a **** day, raining and missed two"

Moved to another 3-holer (open set). Netted up, enter ferret. I was standing so i could see the three holes, looked behind me and there is a rabbit charging down the field. Looked around for another hole, couldnt find one so decided it must of just fancied a run :) Seen another set about 20 yards to the right, I thought it might have been part of the set the ferret was in, walked over. I got one net on and a rabbit was netted back at the other set. Ran over to it, kept hold of the rabbit and laid another net, got the rabbit out the net and killed her! Ferret came out. Walked back to the set on the right, netted 10 holes. Entered ferret, rabbit came out a bolt-hole. Re-entered ferret, nothing else. Crossed the road. Netted a three-holer. Ferret down for ages, lifted my nets. Started locating, got a 1 foot reading near a hole, out shot a rabbit!!!

Never again will i lift a single net before the ferret is out!!!

Total catch: 2

To be honest, I dont care about going out and killing 20 rabbits. Though its good to get a big catch now and again. I am totally happy with two rabbits. I am pleased that I went out - on my own - and caught two, most I have ever caught on my own was one.

I find that no matter how many times it happens, the excitement of handling a rabbit in a purse net never goes away.

I think ferreting is a sport of strategy in a way. Especially on rough dykes, up here in the north-west the rabbits usually come out on the roughest side from the roughest area. So its a case of knowing where the rabbits going to come out of, and being able to net it.

The first rabbit i got today, in a way it helped towards its own death LOL! I was 20 yards away when it got caught, so i was legging it over, but the rabbit never tried to kick the net off, it just sat still :)

in my opinion, ferreting is the best sport out there!! Closely followed by lamping and long-netting.

I was going to go round on my own and ask him but I thought if he said no, it would spoil it. Because if I was to go with my dad, he is more likely to say yes.

So I am going to get my dad to take me, its a good farm for ferreting, the dykes are obviously full of rabbits, but theres is lots of holes to net. But its worth getting permission, just for the open-sets. And i know that there is a big set somewhere that is full of rabbits, but not a great load of holes.