Air Arms S400 Split Stock.

Hello guys bought myself a air arms few weekends ago i used it last night and the weather started drizzling then i didnt realise how much it was actually raining and ended up getting soaked.. I got home very late and said i would clean the rifle first thing this morning which i did but when taking it out of the case i noticed the stock has split a tiny amount and gone a pale kind of colour.. How should i go about repairing this and whats best to coat the stock in to pretect it against a bit of water?

The water has also made the barrel white in a few places, tiny dots of white!

Is this a rookie mistake or should a air rifle be able to handle some bad weather conditions?

I have pictures but cant upload them from my

Phone.

Thankyou! Jb.

The stock is the least of your worries, take it off ASAP and get some oil on the metal - maybe even a very light going over with the finest wire wool you can find to get rid of the rust.

Not sure why the stock would have split, it may have had a hairline crack already but what to do next depends on how bad the split is.

The pale colour is likely to be clouding and a light abrasive should lift it try like trade secret burnishing wax.

The crack is probably been there a while and the water has expanded the fibres the as they dried it showed up. Post pictures of it we may be able to give advice from them.

Wax the stock inside the I letting and on the outside will help prevent it happening again.

Don't leave guns in wet slips it leads to rust and other issues (I always have a spare dry slip in tha car incase I'm could in the rain). Let gun dry slowly at room temperature if soaked strip them down.

I've fixed cracks with super glue before now (243 stock on the wrist) and it works well you need the thin stuff a needle or pin and clamp + something to protect the stock from the clamp. put the pin in the crack and run the SG down it then nip the clamp up to close the split. DO NOT wax anything till after you've repaired it. a spot of stain and wipe on varnish will cover the colour but getting the shade right is not the easiest thing.