Taking your guns to a different country

Right this is a biggy. I have a shotgun licence and currently studying at University. It has come to my attention that I will be able to go to the states late next year. Now, what experience have people had taking guns out of the country? I will obviously be going to the USA, and am wanting to take my shotguns. I've been told it's very possible but can just be a mess on. Whats the process and what would I require?

Also, are you able to take cartridges along with the guns for when you arrive in the country?

Thanks

I did it a few years ago but some else did the paperwork airline charged us a fair amount in excess baggage etc.

Fairly sure cartridges will be a no as they will be dangerous cargo as far as the airline is concerned. And anyway they are easy to get in the state just go to Walmart!

I did it a few years ago but some else did the paperwork airline charged us a fair amount in excess baggage etc.

Fairly sure cartridges will be a no as they will be dangerous cargo as far as the airline is concerned. And anyway they are easy to get in the state just go to Walmart!

Hahaha do you get asked for ID in walmart when buying ammunition? If not, thats fantastic, 000 buckshot and slugs please! xD

What did you pay about? And what did you store the guns in? And lastly who did you get to do paperwork? Sorry for all the questions haha

When you say "go to the states" do you mean a visit for a few weeks, or a longer term move ?

Not sure yet, I basically have the option for staying for a long while or just a bit.

I would be interested in seeing how long I'm allowed to stay with firearms there

Taking a gun to America? Like taking coal to Newcastle that..... Why bother? Unless your competing at big comps? $5 hire charges and racks of stuff you can't even see in the uk are on offer!

You say that but quality semi autos are more expensive than here, from what I have seen. And quality double guns are very hard and expensive to come by. Supply and demand.

Edited by srspower

You say that but quality semi autos are more expensive than here, from what I have seen. And quality double guns are very hard and expensive to come by. Supply and demand.

Different market and european guns can be more expensive, no shortage of doubles and what's a "quality semi auto"

Brand new 725 £1450 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=427335992

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Browning_Shotgun_725_For-Sale_140206113402001 UK price £1800

Benelli M2 http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Benelli_Shotgun_M2-Essential_For-Sale_131018093759001 £920

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=427218715 £750

NOw there may be sales tax to add which varies from 0% to 12% depending on state and county etc so less than 20% VAT.....even adding on 10% tax both above are still a fair bit cheaper to buy brand new.....

Edited by HDAV

Try some searches on here ... Phaedra had replied to many queries on this subject .

If you're going as a visitor / non resident / temp resident etc you may be in a different category when it comes to buying a gun. But with some work on your part you may be able to take your guns ..

As said above most types of gun can be hired at the ranges ...

Try some searches on here ... Phaedra had replied to many queries on this subject .

If you're going as a visitor / non resident / temp resident etc you may be in a different category when it comes to buying a gun. But with some work on your part you may be able to take your guns ..

As said above most types of gun can be hired at the ranges ...

I going there as a student with student visa...

I could stay there for a year and I'd like to apply for citizenship during that time hopefully, for the, yano, handguns ;)